Let's talk guitar VSTs good, bad, ugly

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by heathenhotel, Mar 13, 2017.

1. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

<-------Still rockin PODFarm :oops:

2. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

Yeah that is a very old interface, I think any modern budget interface would have a very competent hi.z

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Again it shows how crucial the cab modeling is, and how others work better with some other amp simulations, while some don't. Overloud TH3 has done definetly something right with their own cabs. I don't really know if I want to use 3rd party IR's with this anymore, they're that good.

Couple of my favorite tones from ForTiorl:

AkiraSpectrum, Elric and Backsnack like this.
  4. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I've enjoyed Guitar Rig 5 for a while now. With third party impulses (mainly 3sigma) I can get really good lower gain sounds (JTM, JCM800 etc). When in need of higher gain, Peavey ReValver 4 kicks butt, though.

5. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I made a thread about this a while back for sort of an underdog choice for amp sim/impulse modeling.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Presets/Product_Destructor/

Picked it up on sale when it was first released. Very reasonable at $70.

It sounds really amazing for clean/crunch tones. Still undecided whether or not I like it as much as TSE for a good high gain/metal tone. Though I think with some tweaking, it might do really well.

@schwiz and @Metropolis -- I totally agree with your opinions about how IRs can make or a break a simulated guitar sound. I became a believer in that once I realized the awesome things that Two Notes Wall of Sound can do.

Also, @Metropolis, there seems to be an emphasis on using EQ as well. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  6. worcester7

worcester7 SS.org Regular

Until I read here I thought I was the only one that struggled to get something usable out of BIAS. Makes me feel a bit better now! Whilst I'll use it for some cleans here and there, I've given up on getting anything remotely near usable for a heavy tone. Almost tempted to uninstall it as I feel like I can get reasonable enough replacements just out of EZMix 2.

Really liking the JSTs - Jason Richardson, Menace and Guilty Pleasure. Dig the TSE X50 too. Wouldn't mind trying out the U530 but I'm pretty conscious that I'm spending more of my time shopping (and then endlessly tweaking) than actually playing, writing and recording! Maybe that'll be the last one... for now :)

7. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I'd been working with BIAS FX for a while trying to get a usable heavy tone and was getting no where. In fact, I was downright frustrated. So much so that I was considering just uninstalling it and never looking back. Anyways, a couple of months ago I checked back in to see if anyone had posted any better sounding patches, and to my surprise, they had. Seems people got to posting their "matched" amp and cabs, and the results were noticeably better sounding than BIAS' stock patches.

My advice, take another look at the patches people are posting with special attention given to any based around non-stock amp sims.

Three other things I'd recommend, and those are,
    1) Use the dual amp function
    2) Put a slight delay on one of the amps
    3) Add a chorus to your signal chain

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Elric likes this.
  8. worcester7

Nice advice, cheers Carl - maybe I'll not uninstall it then :)

That said, I caved and picked up the U530 and, so far, I absolutely love it. So unless anything that comes along that's truly astonishing, I think I'll be focusing more attention on good quality plugins and IRs rather than amp sims.

steinmetzify likes this.
  9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Have you checked out Celestion's IRs yet?

10. Metropolis

I wouldn't personally use dual amps and slight delay methdod if you want to record something, and using chorus in rhytm sounds would make things sound like undefined mess. But it sounds huge when playing alone, that's where it's good thing to do. Very slight reverb in single amp situation to simulate room acoustics is one thing to consider, something like 200ms room reverb.

11. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

Elric, schwiz and steinmetzify like this.
  12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude does good IRs guys. Grab that free sample pack for sure.

Dead-Pan likes this.
  13. cw2908

cw2908 SS.org Regular

I've been able to blend TSE into live 5150 recordings, and my bandmates did not even notice.

14. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

Still using the good ol' LeCto, TSE 808, and NC 8505 into Torpedo WOS (with 3rd party IRs) when I need to do some quick checks on DIs/etc.

15. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Sold my Engl E530 and got myself the Overloud TH3. Really good tones in there too.

Elric likes this.
  16. worcester7

Now I have my new Jackson 7-string back from its setup (as it was rubbish out of the box) I've been having a play about and currently, the U530 is my sim of choice - a great piece of software. I'll never stop being tempted to buy more but for now I think I'm done so I can focus on actually playing, recording, and having fun :)

17. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Downloaded TSE demo and was totally blown away by how good the high gain sounds are, bought the full version and adding some verb/delay via the rack effects totally make the sound.

Also own a L6 HD500, the NI Suite, the Waves suite, Amplitude... but none of these come close to TSE. The TSE has a really smooth, non-grainy high end that you just don't get in other modeling apps.

TSE is second only to my Kemper.... and that's very high praise.

18. steinmetzify

Just bought a new laptop/monitor setup....been doing orchestral stuff lately and some of those libraries are huge so I needed more space. Then came the task of deciding what I actually wanted on the new one.

For guitar sims, the only ones that made the cut were both from Mercuriall....the U530 and their Spark.

Everything else got dumped, even stuff I've paid for. I can get basically any tone I want out of those two. They're easy to use, sound great, both have built in FX.

19. steinmetzify

Grabbed the Overloud TH3 demo, pretty impressed. One problem.

Sent the link to a buddy I trade back and forth for demos, riffs etc....weird thing, one of us will come up with a good tone, take a screenshot, send it to the other and it sounds like total ass on the other guy's end.

This has happened 3 times now...we each have the exact same guitar, pickups etc and I've actually gone over to his house and dialed the thing in on his computer so I know it's not user error.

Anyone else notice this?

20. Metropolis

Can you make it as preset file and share it in dropbox or something? I would be intrested what is going on. It could be difference in audio interfaces, TH3's settings, cab modeling or just a bug in software and corrupted presets. I had terrible problem a while ago with TH3, the whole software crashed when changing presets, just after they updated to new version. Couple of days after they updated to most recent version, then this problem disappeared.

steinmetzify likes this.