Let's talk guitar VSTs good, bad, ugly

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by heathenhotel, Mar 13, 2017.

1. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Whoever thought "THIS IS A GOOD IDEA" needs their head kicking in for that. The gain input is so infuriating... what if I wanted to automate my tone or something :(

2. SymbolicDeath

SymbolicDeath SS.org Regular

I see a lot of praise for TH3, but I really wasn't that impressed with it. Between the lePou xtac for cleans, and the emissary and nick crow amp sims paired with Catharsis Fredman IR's, I can get some amazing tones. I use the Mercuriall TSC as a TS boost out front. I also used Peavey Revalver 4 for a long time and I thought it was great, I still do think it's the best all around amp sim software, but I get more organic and clear tones from the free VST's and IR's. They're definitely worth a shot, and with a good EQ you can get pretty much any tone.

3. linqua

linqua SS.org Regular

the best ones ive used are LePou and Thermionik. Everything else ive tried(freewise) is a noisy pile of garbage. i am using strictly rosen impulses right now, but i am looking into recabinet as well. both the LePou and Thermionik i have gotten to sound indistingushably close to the real counterparts, and im finding consistency across those as well, ie. the LePou Rectifier/XTC/etc sound consistent with characteristics of Thermionik equivalents. It seems to me the Thermionik plugins have more tweakability and sound a bit better, ive recently been using all thermionik stuff but depending on what i need at the time i wouldnt have any problem going to a LePou. My favorite thermionik are the M4 and Tangerine nightmare. I like the AC30 and dual rec models as well. imo those are great examples of very different sounds which are accurate to real world counterparts. same with LePou, maybe to a slightly lesser extent, but i will reiterate that the LePou rectifer is close to the Thermionik is close to the real world etc.

EDIT: i have yet to find a better bass amp sim than the ignite amps custom, and im using a free svt II 8x10 and SWR 115 sim i found in a big repository online so thats the only thing i use on bass. im curous about the rosen bass irs. the only thing i dont like about the rosen stuff is that i cant tweak mic positions and get for example fredman effect. other than that everything about them sounding and feeling natural and mix ready i find to be true.

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

The problem with this is that I don't feel that we should "have" to use external IRs with an amp sim. With the amount of money some of these sims cost, you should except the cab models to be at least decent sounding.

That's why I tend to hate on BIAS so much. The stock IRs in it are nowhere near comparable to those found in TSE X50, TH3, or even POD Farm/JST stuff. They seem like a complete afterthought that just completely destroys the experience of using BIAS as someone who has gotten a little tired of using external IRs.

Have you gave Softube's Bass Amp Room a shot? I seem to be using it more and more on bass, generally as either an all around clean/lightly driven sound or as the low end fundamental for a modern split channel tone.

For distortion/grind I just use whatever (TSE BOD, FabFilter Saturn, etc), EQ out the lows beforehand, and then run it into the POD Farm 1x15 Jazz Cab.

If I do use an external bass cab IR, it's generally one from this free pack I found online of a VL-1002, SVT-810e, and Eden 4x10XLT. However, since most of the time I'm doing a split channel approach, I'll just use whatever stock cab is in Bass Amp Room or no cab at all for the lows.

5. Dantas

Dantas SS.org Regular

I use the Emissary head from Ignite Amps, with a free Rosen IR, and I love the sound...but it helps that I use a Boss Power Stack pedal boosted by an OD and a Decimator gate in front of it, and don't use the amps dirty channel....highly recommended to use some distortion or OD pedals instead the VSTs dirty channel, so you can get a more organic sound.

6. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

I think the argument that could be made here is this:

Do you think when it came down to it, they spent more time researching the amp behavior itself over the cab? Or, do you think guitarists really just use one cab in their life time. Sometimes, people will want to use a different microphone that you don't have at xyz angle.

Third party IR's are popular because they have EVERY single option with microphones that these amp sims may not have the time to implement. POD Farm's IR's were .... back in the day, once I heard of LeCab and IR's it gave me new options that Pod Farm never gave me until it's stock crap was gone from my life haha.

Nowadays these companies who sell full amp sims give you their most workable tones out of the box, but they know now people can give you those quality IR's. Rosen digital, Ownhammer, etc. They specialize in getting you those tweaks.

I think that's why companies like Kazrog (Thermionik) let you buy just the amp heads instead of forcing you to get Recabinet. Everyone has their own ir's they can go to now.

My 2cents anyway. :)

7. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I went and bought the ReValver 4 producer pack and the metal bundle + engl cabs.

I'm really happy with that set. Been making simple amp sounds and to my ears they sound really good. The Engl PBII, 6505 and Triple XXX are my favorite so far.

And having a e530 going to a cab sim only (Engl 4x12) is really good.

Money well spent IMO. I've tried many VST's and so far the ReValver 4 has been the best.

8. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

In my experience, LePou really can't be beat when it comes to freeware. Nick Crow's plugins are really good as long as you don't expect them to sound exactly like a 5150/6505.

9. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Exactly.
    I doesn't really matter what amp sim you choose.
    It is a non-factor compared to the importance of the IR.

I would choose Guitar Rig though.
    The stock cab simulations suck (which you will deacticate anyway), but it comes with a a great range of effects and stuff which makes it a super versatile amp sim.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I've tried an number of amp sims, both free and commercial, but always end up going back to the POD amp sims. Of course the POD cab sims on their own are lacking. This is why I like to mix them using the old Catharsis IRs run through a Recabinet 4 preset.

Also, I found using a real tube screamer-type OD pedal is practically mandatory when using amp sims.

11. fearlessguster

fearlessguster SS.org Regular

My go to these days is the TSE X50, it is super solid and versatile and just works in most mixes better than most other sims I've tried.

If the x50 isn't doing it for me, I'll reach for the JST stuff. Jason Richardson is great, really smooth top end on the distortion, and I almost always use the clean channel on this sim for all my clean tones. Menace and Guilty Pleasure are great as well.

Surprisingly I am finding I really like waves GTR also. If I use Jason Richardson I will almost always add the shredder amp in GTR high passed just to add more clarity and definition.

But as several people have already mentioned, I think the Cab IR is almost more important than the amp sim. A good IR makes all the difference. Personally I love Redwirez, my go-to is the Mesa 4x12 sm57 1" from the cap edge.

12. Carl Kolchak

At $80 a pop, you'd think they'd at least offer a demo version to try out first.

13. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I love JST plugins but I think the Toneforge amp sims are not good at all. Don't waste your money on them. However, gain reduction, sub destroyer, tominator, and jst clip are fkin phenomenal.

14. Carl Kolchak

All the YT demos I've seen make them sound excessively fake, almost like a parodies of amp sim tones.

Speaking of amp sims, I tried revisiting the LePou stuff, more specifically the Le456. It took some fiddling, but I was eventually able to get one the better amp sims tones I've gotten yet out of it. Noticeably better sounding than anything L6/BIAS/TSE X50/Mercurial I've tried to date.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  15. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

What I would like to know is...

How many people that have responded to this thread are using a DI box and not just plugging straight into their interface preamp???

If you're not, and don't have any hardware in your chain that is setting impedance, you have no grounds for proving 1 amp sim better over another, or telling me why your tone sucks with amp sim X. :) Typically if there is a problem, its at the source.

16. pete-strych

pete-strych SS.org Regular

I was always one of those tube amp guys, who lives for the glassy tone of glowing valves & touch sensitive response of a hand-wired amp. I began really using amp sims when I built my new studio. They inspire me!! When writing songs, I sometimes try out a new amp sim just to create something different. I'm currently using Amplitube 4, EZ Mix2, and Schuffam S-Gear2 which was included with Slate Everything Bundle. A-Gear is incredible! That was a surprise....at least just how realistic it sounded. Amplitube is really cool with the different rooms, blended mic placements, swapping out individual speakers in amp cabs, etc. I love the graphics too. I think you need to really tweak the settings to build a great sound with Amplitube, but I've had excellent results. EZ Mix guitar packs are for when I'm feeling lazy, lol. But seriously, I've used the Metal Guitar Gods 3 pack also with above expectation results. Keith Merrow settings rock! No matter which plugin I use, hardly ever do they sound stellar right out of the gate...they take a bit of virtual dial spinning to fine tune the tone. But, taking the time to do this can truly pay off in the end.

17. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

My experience is somewhere in between decent and modest, but when I did an a/b between my interface input and using a d.i I didn't find any difference other than more gain.

Elric likes this.
  18. Carl Kolchak

The difference in signal quality for me is more dramatic sounding when using the mic pres. By comparison, the instrument in on my USB interface produces tones which are noticeably deficient in the highs and lows (Imagine a HP filter set too high at around like 500 and LP filter set too low at around like 4K, and you'll get the picture.) with the result being an over-concentration of scratchy-sounding mids. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the tone I was monitoring through my headphones never sounded as full when recorded. Then I started using a DI box/mic in and the sonic situation began to improve.

19. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

What interface are you using?

20. Carl Kolchak

An old L6 UX1