Let's talk about specs

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by greatusername, Nov 18, 2017.

1. greatusername

greatusername SS.org Regular

Hey! I've been looking around threads for a while and realised that I really enjoyed open discussions on the forum. I'm aware there's already multiple threads about specs, but thought about a question that could be fun to discuss so here it is : What are some specs that sell you a guitar ? What I mean is what specifications make you go: This guitar will help me sound like myself? No matter what it is (string count, pickups, scale lenght, tone wood (if you believe tone woods are a thing), etc.) what are you exited to read on a specification sheet? So there it is, I'm just dropping the question here and hope it can be interesting to other people !

2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Depends
    6s: stainless frets, fret access, nice color
    7s: stainless frets, 27" scale, fret access, fixed bridge
    8s:stainless frets, 27" or longer scale, fixed bridge

I try to upgrade my guitars with stainless steel frets so not having to is a bonus.
    I like my extended range guitars with longer scales not entirely because i need more tension they just look more proportional to me.

3. greatusername

I'm not familiar with types of frets, what's the real improvement of stainless steel as a fret material? And is it a pricey mod?

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

All I really need for a guitar to be appealing to me is six strings, ebony or maple fretboard, humbuckers and an OFR. Also no natural finishes. 90% of the time any wood finish is ugly.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

They are more durable and have less friction than regular nickel steel frets. In here it costs around 300 euros to get them done by a luthier.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. greatusername

Blytheryn to each their own, I must disagree on the natural wood finishes, I think they're the most beautiful finish to have on a guitar haha. And thanks for the stainless steel explanation, sounds good but really pricey I just realized I didn't say what were my favorite specs so here it is:

- 6 or 7 strings, I tried 8 string and it wasn't my thing, I found myself just djenting around the two bottom strings. Maybe I'll try again later when I'll have a better understanding of the 7 string.

- 25.5 for 6 and 27 for 7

-I wished to have a Floyd until I got one and got bored of mindlessly doing dive bombs. I,now, prefer fixed bridge so I can change tuning.

- natural satin finish are my favorites (as already stated)

- I don't know too much about how much woods affect the tone, but I prefer lighter woods (ash, basswood,etc.)

- I prefer passive pups, but I never tried non-emg active pickups so I'm speaking out of very little experience. I just think they have a better clarity over all.

- neck-through and set-neck are my favorites just because of access and look

That's pretty much it I think !

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

6 strings: at least 25.5" scale
    8 strings: at least 27" scale (multiscale is preferable, more comfy imo)
    woods: not very picky as long as it looks good together (ie no padauk and purpleheart together or other ugly combos)
    finish: gloss, usually dyed woods or cool paint jobs (depends on the overall theme/aesthetic of the guitar).
    pickups: passives, past that I'm pretty open
    neck: neck through though I'm fine with bolt ons/setnecks provided the heel is pretty unobtrusive
    bridge: hardtail bridges only
    absolutely has to have a good forearm/belly contour (unless it's an explorer, that's the only guitar I make an exception for). If it's not comfy then I'm not keeping it.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

just to add some info in case anyone interested in the SS frets, if you order them to your custom build, they tend to rise the price to just 100-120€ more.

And I have found they sharpen the tone of your guitar A LOT!

9. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Three things are important for me. Scale length, neck shape, and neck heel.
    • Scale: preferably at least 27", but I'm happy for slightly less, especially if a multiscale or a non-electric instrument (eg classical). Depends on what I want.
    • Neck shape: I like thin, unobtrusive necks. I play with a classical technique and the neck is irrelevant in all respects, so I prefer to have less of it in the way.
    • Heel: rounded and completely out of the way. This is very important. Example: I had the opportunity to play one of those black floral JEMs. The neck was okay - but the heel didn't use the contoured AANJ that a lot of Ibanez guitars have. No, it had a square heel like a Strat. That absolutely killed it for me. There was just this... block, in the way. It was horrible.
    Everything else depends on what I want. Pickup-wise, I prefer routs that aren't the typical active pickup soapbar blocky routs. If I can get a nice pickup stock, that's good. String count depends on what I want. So does fixed/trem/multiscale bridge. I'm happy with available colours, woods, and fingerboards. All my instruments have rosewood, except my violin which is ebony. I've recently tried a non-crap maple fretboard, and I'm okay with that too. Two pickups are ideal. And the rest, such as body shape, depends on what I'd like to try.

For example, I have an Ibanez RG2228. I'm considering a Strandberg Boden Prog 7 with a trem because that's something that'd cover a wide niche I don't have filled yet.

10. greatusername

Sounds like a cool mod to get, but I'm really far from getting a custom guitar Thanks for the info thought !

11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Specsheets are not what draws me to a guitar, it's usually their aesthetic. When I find something that looks really cool, then I start checking out the specs.

For extended range guitars multiscale is a must. It just makes them more comfortable to play.

Neck should have a reasonably chunky profile. I'm done with the toothpick thin necks. Neck joint can be anything, as long as it doesn't get in the way.

Body wood must NOT be ash. I find it sounds hollow in the midrange, which is a shame because it's a cool looking wood. Ash top is ok.

I'm quite open to pickup models as long as they are not EMGs.

I prefer fixed bridges. While I have several guitars with Tuneomatics, I hate the design so having something other than TOM is a plus in my book. Well, the tele bridge is even worse.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The benefits of SS frets are that they don't oxidise so you will never need to polish or touch them up, the frets will feel the same for years as they did day 1 when they were polished up. With regular nickel strings they just don't wear, I've put in hundreds of hours into my SS guitars and there is zero wear. Its a pricey upgraded and they need to be installed/polished correctly but they are worth it. Being able to pick up a guitar and never have to worry about the frets is a great feeling. In my experience strings also last longer but thats only when they have been polished to a mirror shine.

The specs I have to have?
    Forearm Contour or at the very least a bevel is my number one
    Fretboard Inlays
    Mahogany or Limba Body
    Two Passive Humbucker Pickups
    Rounded fret ends
    Easy to reach and use pickup selector switch
    Individually adjustable bridge saddles
    Thin comfortable neck
    Satin or oil finish body and neck
    25.5" - 26.25" multiscale on a 7 string with correctly angled pickups

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

For me, it's the entire package. I could be stubborn and say "I won't play a guitar unless it has a 27" scale length or better!" but then I'd be missing out on plenty of really cool guitars that have really nifty other things going for them.

One thing that's difficult to forgive, though, is weight.

I've demo'd some really cool guitars with lots of bells and whistles with good specifications, but weighed a ton and I just couldn't deal with the long term effects of that. On the other hand, my favourite guitar ever is also the lightest guitar probably ever built.

14. bostjan

I guess since the forum double posted for me, I should expound a bit more.

Any combination of neato features always gets me interested:

Optical pickups
    Piezo pickups
    Guitar synth ready
    Cool trem
    Multiscale
    Sustainer system
    Variax
    etc.

I loved the Parker Fly - Stainless frets, a really good trem, piezo, cool composite fretboard, good truss rod access, carbon exoskeleton, and best of all, half the weight of the usual solid electric.

My Oni CF8 doubles everything: stainless frets, multiscale, carbon exoskeleton, acrylic impregnated fretboard, eight string, extended fretboard, piezo, synth, compact headstock, and best of all - half the weight of the Parker Fly, so it's basically weightless.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

oni still has a ridiculous wait list?

man if someone makes a multi scale parker fly. yum.

16. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

What a guitar must have in order to be intersting for me
    - Evertune bridge
    - Covered pickups (just for the esthetics)
    - Arched top (for the esthetics as well)

Other than that I am pretty flexible.
    I like a lot of pickups (doesn't matter if active or passice), I like various looks, I don't care too much about scale lenth (due to the ET bridge), I can adjust to all kinds of neck shapes, I like tons of different tones, etc...

17. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

- 7 strings
    - 25, 5 scale
    - Fixed Bridge
    - Super thin neck-carve
    - Raw neck
    - Dimarzio/Lundgren/In-house-made pickups
    - Humbuckers
    - No tone-knob
    - No fret inlays
    - Hand-finished fret-ends
    - Any maker that puts more emphasis on the quality of the wood used rather than mere taxonomy

18. bostjan

I spent years harping at Parker to make a seven string or baritone scale Fly available. The only reason I had kept pursuing it was because they kept offering me reasons that I could easily debunk. They couldn't do it because they couldn't make a fretboard wide enough, yet Emerald was making seven string acoustics with fretboards supplied by Parker. Then it was because seven string pickups wouldn't fit in a Parker Body, but Dimarzio told me they'd be willing to wind skinny pickups for a small fee, and also Parker made the Mojo that could accommodate standard pickups, other reasons were given, but it ultimately ended up, after more than a year, with them simply saying that they just weren't going to do it, but then after that they did do it. And by "after that" I mean that there was no way it wasn't already in some stage of development...

So Parker really let me down with that. But if they hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten my Oni. And yeah, it cost a bit to get it and I had to wait a while, but how many other lightest-solid-guitar-in-the-world's are there? None. (although there were two other guitars similar to this that I am aware of, so I guess there are a couple others, technically, even if they are the same thing) There are no other guitars lighter, so, frankly, it's more than worth it.

19. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

The specs that sell me on a certain guitars are:

# of strings----I prefer 6ers
    Bridge type----I love comfy hardtails
    Neck profile----I mainly play an Ibanez (652), so I like them thin. No baseball bats in my inventory
    PUP's - I'm easily sold on great pups in a stock guitar.
    I think the most obvious one is a great playing guitar---my Carvin dc127 is beta to shit but is an amazing player!

After that looks.

I will still buy guitars with trems....I do not carer what kind of fretboard material is used.

20. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

-MIJ
    -Says "universe" on headstock