Let's be selfish: 3 Item Lists of what YOU want from Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by vilk, Jul 29, 2016.

1. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

We don't actually know since we don't really care to keep track anymore.

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Am I the only one who thought of this argument?

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It's fascinating how politicians operate at times. They'll make sweeping, dangerous decisions just because it makes a good headline, despite the fact that they just move the goal post rather than solving the actual problem. Reagan closing mental health facilities, Clinton kicking people off welfare, and on and on. As long as they can put positive spin on it they're all down to do it. They've even mastered the art of changing the language of war (example: secretary of war renamed to secretary of defense despite nothing in the job changing) so that people don't care that our government murders men, women, and children abroad. They even came up with fancy terms like collateral damage to mask the number of people our government has 'unintentionally' murdered.

Our country is sub-par at a lot of things, but the one thing we excel at is media spin and propaganda! :lol:

4. cwhitey2

hahahaah that is great example :yesway:

BUT....NY (use as an example since I live in it) could definitely spend its money more wisely. :ugh::ugh:

5. schantist

schantist Banned

Looking at 'Murica's track record, the odds are probably 50:1 in favor of nuclear shenanigans over a proper sustainable health care system.

6. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

1) An end to the "War on Terror" Literally the biggest ....ing waste of money that I've had to watch over most of my lifetime. If you want to fight terror, do it on the homefront, and actually properly train/fund the TSA and get your .... together with Central Intelligence. You can't fight terrorists on their turf, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2) An end to the "War on Drugs". Second biggest waste of money I've seen. Just decriminalize it, keep people from selling/advertising to children, treat it like alcohol. Teen alcohol and drug usage has been going down over time, and it certainly hasn't been from the War on Drugs, it's from education.

3) Now that we aren't wasting money fighting things, please reform the Healthcare system. All I know is my family gets half our monthly healthcare bill paid by my dad's job, and the other half is on us. We are a family of 3 with no chronic illnesses, and we still pay more than what I make at my $14/hr full time job every month. I have no clue how I am going to be able to afford any of it once I'm out of school.

7. cwhitey2

Sadly you won't be able to.

My buddy is on it now and he told me his copay is $6,000 if he goes to the hospital. If true that is facking ridiculous.

8. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I'll try to make my list reasonable, and achievable.

Zero interest student loans provided by the government with extended payback periods and an option to discharge in bankruptcy. Traditional economics says that student loans have higher interest rates because they are more risky, but that kind of falls apart when you can't ever get rid of the debt. So we should either pay much, much lower interest rates, or we should be able to discharge student debt. I think having both would seriously increase access to college, which I believe is a right.

Double NASA funding

Rollback common-core and let teachers teach, while still giving schools much needed federal funding. One area where I feel like the government should step back is schooling, besides providing the funding and the infrastructure, the teacher evaluations and testing are out of control. I also think that schools should have more freedom to evaluate their staff as they see fit. This is my perspective after talking to many public school teachers on both sides of the political spectrum. For many school districts the cost to implement common core is coming out to be more then the federal funding they receive for conforming to the standards, its insane.

9. cwhitey2

Since you are form NY it should make you happy to know that down here basically all but 1 school no longer use common core and that 1 schools use is extremely limited (I'm actually making their school work as I type this!).

Common core has been the worse idea...ever for public education.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The reason common core doesn't work is that teachers teach effectively in different ways, same as students learn effectively in different ways, depending on the individual. What's more, a student who learns best, say, through mnemonic devices paired with a teacher who teaches best using tactile teaching, might not work at all if the teacher sticks only to mnemonics. You are not going to get a group class to have the benefits of one-on-one teaching, period. What's more, is that teaching a class through multiple intelligences, without the subject material lending itself to such, is just going to further confuse struggling students and it takes away valuable class time from actual effective methods.

11. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

I've never even been a fan of the traditional school system anyway. Just because a kid is 13 means he's ready for trigonometry? That's stupid. Match kids with like intelligence and put them in classes together, also let's get rid of all the stupid BS mandatory classes. I've never used anything from any English classes since 8th grade in college, and I was awful at English in high school, just felt like mandatory storytime paired with shoving ideas on how to interpret things in my head.

If you want to be a writer or a journalist, by all means take English forever. I'm a numbers person, I don't give two ....s that Holden Caufield was the only fake person in the book all along or how the conch in Lord of the Flies represented democracy. If I want to read something, I will when it becomes engaging to me. I plowed through Moby Dick because of Mastodon, and I'm starting to read a bit of Hunter S Thompson because of Regular Car Reviews.

12. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

While I'm inclined to lean your direction on education, our brains are largely shaped by these courses whether we think we use them or not. Some classes are simply more about having an educated, cultured populace rather than it being directly useful to your potential career; which you wouldn't have known what you're good at or not had you not taken these courses and done good or bad at them. English as a whole is ridiculously important though. Having good grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary is paramount to good, reasoned conversation and is necessary in everyday life. Reading literature and finding context clues, using deduction, and being able to turn a piece of literature into a simple summation is just as useful for developing ones critical thinking skills as doing trig proofs. This is coming from a math nerd. My ethics course I took in college really broadened my mind and taught me how to have well reasoned arguments. That is something people need a lot more of honestly. :lol:

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's a very strange way to describe exactly what English classes are supposed to be teaching you. :lol:

The "English" courses I had to take in college were renamed to "communications" - because that's what it boils down to. It may not matter that you recognize a specific metaphor in a specific book, but it's important that you know how to recognize metaphor in general, lest you always take things literally.

I don't know where you are in life, but I pretty often find myself in situations where communications skills end up being very important- and I don't consider myself great in that area, nor do I work in anything that sounds like literary devices would come in handy - but that's how business works. Poor communications make for bad business. (Anyone who's ever been upset that a video game didn't work as they wanted while the dev was quiet about it can back me up on that one.)

It's actually kind of disappointing how often I've seen college-educated people who somehow made it through their education but still lack some very basic writing skills. And handwriting. Nobody has good handwriting anymore.

14. cwhitey2

15. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

im ok with the amount i pay in taxes considering my property taxes warrant a tax write.

now insurances, what a ....ing scam that is. i just had my renewal on my car insurance, and my premium went UP! another year older, another year of spotless driving, and my premium goes up and they tell me its everyone because more claims have been submitted, ....ing bull..... about 13% of my regular income is for all the difference insurances i have and if i chose to opt out of medical since that's the most expensive, im going to get fined for it.

16. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

not completely related, and this might derail things a bit (sorry in advanced) but this made me think of something in the prison system that NEEDS to be reformed. Prisoners SHOULD NOT have the right to free education (free to them at least) while they are incarcerated. I know that one of the prison system's goals is SUPPOSED to be reform/rehabilitation and reintegration into society, however I can't jive with the fact that the person in my family (though none of us communicate with them) with the highest level of education received that education for free while being incarcerated for sexually assaulting a minor.

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

An argument for such a system is not that it benefits them, but that it should theoretically benefit society. A lack of education has most criminals going back to a criminal life which brings society as a whole down. Is it fair on a grander scale, probably not, but that's not really the point. CPS functions in a similar way, and it is indeed equally frustrating. Since the goal is reform though, I don't really see a way around that.

18. narad

narad SS.org Regular

This simply isn't true. On rare occasions certain deformities or underdeveloped regions have been generally linked to a decreased ability to distinguish right and wrong, but that's where the science ends. How much of an impairment would this be? Entirely unclear. And under an fMRI there is no real bounds for normal activity, only heightened activity with respect to a resting state. The measurements are scientific, but the conclusions are extremely shakey.

But worse it doesn't offer a treatment. That is a deformed brain, not a chemical imbalance, and a mental healthcare practitioner can not treat a mental deficiency.

Other conditions of depression, anxiety, etc., aren't categorically existent in the brain like a virus in the bloodstream. They're not a science - they're a man made label applied to deviations in desirable behavior or state of mind. And I'd be very hesitant to base policy on that kind of "science." Being an argumentative wife in the 1930s could get you a lobotomy. So could being a trouble-making child. If a lobotomy isn't your thing, maybe electroshock therapy? In the 1950s-70s, homosexuality was classified as such. I'm sure if there was a pill they could produce at the time that would zap your sex drive they'd have probably marketed that as the cure of a mental illness the same way today's psychiatrists will push prozac for your depression. How is today's approach any different?

Personally I think the cry for improved mental healthcare after a mass shooting is often misplaced. I'm not against more funding for such facilities, but the idea that shootings are a symptom of an underlying mental health pandemic seems far-fetched. It's like people want to dismiss the possibility that you can be perfectly sane and still want to kill dozens of people. We've spent millions of years evolving while slaughtering each other, so if you're not a creationist you have to acknowledge that a brain capable of mass killing has, for most of human existence, been a perfectly normal brain.

Really I don't think the solution to violence is to medicate millions of additional people when all this is doing is masking an underlying societal problem, of a way of life that for too many people lowers their sense of self worth and prevents them from finding happiness.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Here's a paper that says so.

Here's a less scholarly one that touches on your points, but still proves what I said is true.

What i said was not an absolute statement, if you read it again, so "That simply isn't true" is inaccurate and unnecessarily combative.

20. cwhitey2

I HATE insurance.

Best example I have:

Broke my phone last night, I have insurance ($11 per month). I go to att and they say there is nothing they can do for me because it's third party insurance. Ok whatever I'm due for an upgrade anyways. While looking over the cost of the new one the sales guy tries to sell me insurance.....I looked him square in the face and laughed...no thanks guy.

On the drive home my Dad got to thinking. He says to me do you know how much I pay for home insurance. $32 facking dollars a month and they cover $250,000 for the house and 90,00 for the goods inside.

My monthly insurance for 2 lines was $25 total. Now it's 000000.00

Point being, .... insurance companies.