[Lesson] A Different sort of Alternate Picking Drill - crossing strings

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Drew, May 6, 2006.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ok, this is something I came up with a couple nights ago, and already I'm seeing a huge improvement in my picking technique. Basically, most of your alternate picking drills focus on repeating several pickstrokes on a single string before moving onto the next one, which is good for focusing on building a smooth and even pick stroke along a single string, but isn't as challanging as it could be when it comes to crossing strings. Here, you're alternate picking one note per string. It's a very Steve Morse sort of exersize, I guess.

You COULD just do random shapes, but it sounds way more musical if you do it through the circle of 5ths. Try it with a bit of overdrive and a light palm mute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, just for kicks, here's a really sloppy mp3:

[MEDIA]http://www.drewpeterson.org/lessons/arpeggio picking drill/audio.mp3[/MEDIA]

It's a cool picking drill that works a part of your picking technique that you normally don't see isolated in picking drills, and even over the last week I've noticed a HUGE change in my picking hand's control. Give it a shot.

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

I've been practicing this stuff for a while now, both with Morse-style arpeggios, and DiMeola-style chordal picking. It does produce great results, but feels pretty painful at first. This stuff sounds awesome on steel-string acoustic.
    Most rock guys seem to shy away from this, as the modern approach seems to be either to sweep across the strings, or cram as many notes onto each string as possible (don't get me wrong, that stuff rocks too!).

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I don't think I'd bust this out in a solo or anything, but what it's been doing for my actual picking technique has been great. It's cleaning up a few weaknesses I have.

Course, if that clip is taken to be indicative, I still have my practicing ahead of me. :lol:

4. David

David je t'aime Contributor

you've got an awesome melody going on that drill, and I'll definately have to go play that.:yesway:

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

circle of 5ths, bro, just with some chromatic leading. Easy as pie. :agreed:

6. David

David je t'aime Contributor

I just fucked around with that one figure and scale, it's pretty lame (what I improv'd), but I like the chord progression when you don't arpeggiate it.

Check it out (2nd part in the vid)
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9173

I'll fool around with it some more.:)

7. abyssalservant

abyssalservant Ascaris

That's an excellent exercise. I've been known to use things like that when my picking felt inadequate . . . thanks to that and others, I haven't felt the need in some time. And song after song of continuous tremolo picking doesn't faze me anymore . . .

In other words, I highly rec. this exercise. Try a skipping exercise a la Petrucci to get warmed up:
    |-------------
    |-------6-----
    |---7-----7---
    |-----7-------
    |-5----------- etc.

Also try whatever you can to pick in ways that are consistently awkward . . .

8. Ibanez_fanboy

Ibanez_fanboy I want a 1527!!

want to tab that for all 7 strings drew?

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Count again, dude. ;)

And yeah, that JP excersize rocks. I haven't busted out Rock Dicipline in a while, I really should.

10. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

vinnie Moore runs sequences like this all the time (on a 6 duh)
    these types of excersices are great for left/right hand coordination
    thanks

11. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

That's a cool exercise. Alt picking through arps is really cool because it can make them sound so feirce.
    The thing with this exercise that's difficult is what Petrucci called "inside-the-string picking" in Rock Discipline. He suggests a similar exercise but then he boils the problem down a little further and creates an exercise that concentrates on the difficult part "inside-the-string picking".
    I reckon bolster this exercise with his focused one and you could be blazing through them.

12. Tolein

Tolein SS.org Regular

Long ago I had some problems with something like this:

------0- ------0-
    2--2---- 2--2----
    -00-00-- -00-00--

I've appreciate some excercises like this:

-----------0-- ---------0-- ----
    ---------0---- -------0---- ----
    -------0------ -----0------ ---0
    -----0-------- ---0-------- -0--
    ---0---------- -0---------- 0-0-
    -0------------ 0-0-0-0-0-0 ----
    0-0-0-0-0-0-0 ------------ ----

and so on, then played up side down - playing high strings constantly, with lower added one after other.
    It really helped me.

13. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedomâ„¢ Contributor

I can't tell exactly what you're doing - try switching to a monospace font like Courier New for your tab.

Try pedaling up and down this shape until you get a feel for what you're going for and find some fun jazz chords to play with:

E--17
    B--15
    G--12
    D--14
    A--17
    E--15
    B--12

You can try the 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6-1-7 like you have there, and then flip it backwards, but also try odder-seeming things like 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6-1-7-2-3-2-4-2-5-2-6-2-7-3-4-3-5-3-6-3-7-4-5-4-6-4-7-5-6-5-7-6-7 (pedal on one note and go all the way up, then start on the next note and pedal up, et cetera) and then that in reverse - with the right chord (something nice and bizarre like that one) you'll get the impression of completely different changes as you go up.

Jeff

14. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

i like it but i keep just wanting to sweep it instead of alt picking. my hand is not listening to my head and just keeping trying to sweep it. haha

15. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

Yeah, same here. Hey Drew, are you barring on the parts where you stay on the same fret, or does it not really matter?

EDIT: :facepalm: Nvrmind. Didn't look at the dates on the previous posts.

16. BHuard75

BHuard75 SS.org Regular

Drew's avatar is hilarious.