Leo Kottke, prog/jazz/folk

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Chris, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Insane player... Makes the 12 string sound like a freaking orchestra.

Chris, have you heard of a guy called Richard Gillewitz? He plays in a very similar style to Kottke, so if you're interested in this style of playing he'd be worth checking out.
    I saw him at a Tacoma guitar clinic he did a few years ago, and he was just mindblowing. Nice guy too...

3. KillMAH

KillMAH Mr. Fumblefingers

I saw him play with Mike Gordon (Phish's bassist) at the Austin City Limits music festival two years ago. They sounded amazing and huge, and it was just the two of them up there playing mostly acoustic except for when Mike pulled out the electric bass for a couple tunes. I'm not a Phish fan, but they were a terrific duo. Their album together is darn good too. When, I'm not listening to metal, I like the Southern Fried bluegrassy and rock stuff, so I may be biased. Still, there is no denying Leo is an acoustic virtuoso.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I was PISSED that tickets for the last time he was in town, playing at Harvard, sold out before I could buy any. :mad: Kottke is hands down the best acoustic performer I've ever seen, his playing/music owns and he's funnier than most standup guys I've seen.

5. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

He plays up my way a lot in the summer, you can catch him for like $5. I once saw him play in a local library, it was me and maybe a dozen other people at most.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Dude, call me if you see tickets for sale. I'm there.