Lend me your ears please.. (ffo Tool, Choir, Tesseract)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by binz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Hello,

so last time I was too hasty to await feedback on the mix and went on and 'released' the song when there would have been cheap fixes for it. This time I want to do better.

I have been working on a small EP consisting of three related tracks about the show The Leftovers over the last 3-4 weeks and I am at a point where my ears are content with what I hear. But as I've been more or less non-stop working on this for three weeks now (I'm on vacation :p) my ears are completely biased. I tried to actually mix the songs this time. Usually I would look at individual tracks and EQ, compress etc. until they sound okay and then level everything. This time I looked which frequencies are important (by means of a band pass for example) and which can be neglected and EQed accordingly. For the most part I have no clue what I am doing so bare with me and help me improve it!

Because three songs is a lot to listen to maybe you choose one of your personal preference? To give some aid:
    part 1: instrumental intro, probably has the biggest problems still - the mix sometimes feels stressfull, do you agree? How could this be improved?
    part 2: the most accessible, almost poppy song. Has some cool stuff in between the verses/choruses going on
    part 3: I am quite happy with that mix, especially the low end - this is mainly due to the fact that the second half of the song doesnt have distorted guitars which makes mixing soo much easier. A lot of choir stuff going on if youre into that combined with rock sound

I sometimes feel like the compression of the master track is too hard, would you agree? Especially the Mastering I simply used stock plugins (reaper) with stock presets - so no clue what is going on there (Compressor, EQ, Multi-band Compressor, Limiter).

TL;DR: Please tell me the low hanging fruit for the mix of one of my three songs here:

https://soundcloud.com/korbinian-palmarsson/sets/sudden-departure-demo-mix-006

alternatively dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rejakjuwty9a6t3/AAD3lZ7KpgCfh40osrKh8vdua?dl=0

Cheers!,
    Binz

2. Christopher Beattie

Christopher Beattie SS.org Regular

These songs are really cool man, the riffs and melodies are super solid. One thing I noticed was the leveling seems a little off. I felt the guitars and drums seemed a bit quiet and were getting buried underneath the vocals and synths/backing at times. I also think you're right about the master compression, I'm still learning myself but I think I heard the compressor pump at times when everything was going so maybe check on that. Nice work though as a huge Tool fan I really dig it haha.