Lend me your ears please.. (ffo Tool, Choir, Tesseract)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by binz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Hello,

so last time I was too hasty to await feedback on the mix and went on and 'released' the song when there would have been cheap fixes for it. This time I want to do better.

I have been working on a small EP consisting of three related tracks about the show The Leftovers over the last 3-4 weeks and I am at a point where my ears are content with what I hear. But as I've been more or less non-stop working on this for three weeks now (I'm on vacation :p) my ears are completely biased. I tried to actually mix the songs this time. Usually I would look at individual tracks and EQ, compress etc. until they sound okay and then level everything. This time I looked which frequencies are important (by means of a band pass for example) and which can be neglected and EQed accordingly. For the most part I have no clue what I am doing so bare with me and help me improve it!

Because three songs is a lot to listen to maybe you choose one of your personal preference? To give some aid:
    part 1: instrumental intro, probably has the biggest problems still - the mix sometimes feels stressfull, do you agree? How could this be improved?
    part 2: the most accessible, almost poppy song. Has some cool stuff in between the verses/choruses going on
    part 3: I am quite happy with that mix, especially the low end - this is mainly due to the fact that the second half of the song doesnt have distorted guitars which makes mixing soo much easier. A lot of choir stuff going on if youre into that combined with rock sound

I sometimes feel like the compression of the master track is too hard, would you agree? Especially the Mastering I simply used stock plugins (reaper) with stock presets - so no clue what is going on there (Compressor, EQ, Multi-band Compressor, Limiter).

TL;DR: Please tell me the low hanging fruit for the mix of one of my three songs here:

https://soundcloud.com/korbinian-palmarsson/sets/sudden-departure-demo-mix-006

alternatively dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rejakjuwty9a6t3/AAD3lZ7KpgCfh40osrKh8vdua?dl=0

Cheers!,
    Binz

2. Christopher Beattie

Christopher Beattie SS.org Regular

These songs are really cool man, the riffs and melodies are super solid. One thing I noticed was the leveling seems a little off. I felt the guitars and drums seemed a bit quiet and were getting buried underneath the vocals and synths/backing at times. I also think you're right about the master compression, I'm still learning myself but I think I heard the compressor pump at times when everything was going so maybe check on that. Nice work though as a huge Tool fan I really dig it haha.

binz likes this.
  3. binz

binz SS.org Regular

@Christopher Beattie cheers for listening to it! Glad you liked it!

I am now about to release it, but still would wait another week and let it sit. There have been many tiny changes on the mix and
    three additional main changes:

1. transitions should be fluent now, also there is (self recorded) radio chatter guiding the storyline and giving everything a little context. Also makes the instrumental song less boring.
    2. I didnt EQ the main vocals in part2 so they were really putting pressure on the ear (due to multi track), especially when listening with earphones. Fixed that.
    3. Added some harmonies here and there and generally upped the harmony tracks a little.

If you want to, you can download the tracks here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0mi9pc90y8dhdb/AAApg4ZD6RWwEhNEr3hcG3BOa?dl=0

Next week or so I am going to "release" them. Up to then I would be happy to learn about things I cannot hear anymore and I might want to change before doing that.

Cheers! Binz