Lego knock offs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hollowway, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So, I was really excited that the new Millennium Falcon Lego set was coming out, and when I tried to search for it, I found oodles of counterfeits, including this company named Lepin (out of China, naturally) that even aped the Lego logo. I knew Chinese companies were copying stuff, but I had no idea there were so many Lego knock offs. After a little Googling, it appears that Lego is trying to get Lepin stopped, but since it's a Chinese company, and China doesn't care about IP issues, I doubt it will happen. Still weird. I guess when you have a country that big, with no qualms about copying stuff, you're bound to get stuff like children's (aka grown men like me :lol:) toys copied. The fact that this is happening (and that they have set up entire Apple stores that are exact replicas, and so many other counterfeits) makes me wonder how the rest of the world is going to deal with it. Block trade? Tariffs? I don't know how the rest of the world can stop them if they're in another country. Anyone know anything about how this works, or what the IP world is saying about future plans?

2. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

When I was a kid, my parents didn't have money for real Legos, so I played with the Sears clone of those days (1970's), Brix Blox. They were fine but nothing fancy. The good knock-off these days is Megablocks from Canada. Got some clones when I was in China, they weren't terrible but the quality isn't the same, that's for sure. My kid has a couple of grand worth of Lego products, lots of Bionicle series, so I'm really into them of course!

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

As china gets more westernized and becomes less of a 3rd world shithole (in general) they'll likely eschew counterfeits/replicas and want the real thing. That's exactly what happened with japan and korea in the past.

4. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

I believe one of the goals of the Transpacific Partnership was to make IP law enforceable across all member countries.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ah, ok. Yeah, I was wondering if there was a concern by non-Chinese countries, but it looks like their is.
    It’s funny, because I saw one review online that said they didn’t like the actual Lego sets because the bricks say “LEGO” on each of the little nubs. Which is funny, because Lego blocks didn’t used to the have them labeled like that, so presumably they did it BECAUSE of the counterfeits. :lol: Damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

Whatever the case, the new UCS Millennium Falcon is AMAZINGly huge, is the biggest set yet, and “only” $800. When it’s back in stock, I’m ordering it! Unless I come to my senses first.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Son of a bitch, I was just Googling to see what the new UCS Millenium Falcon looked like, and I ended up on the god damn Lepin website :lol:

7. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

My brother in law has the Lepin model

IMG_20170707_1431211.jpg

IMG_20170707_1432091.jpg

8. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Jesus! They even counterfeited his hand?!

Randy and nikt like this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That actually looks really good! But yeah, the main difference I've noticed with cheap knockoffs is that the pieces don't snap into place as nicely as real legos. My daughter just got some duplo knockoffs (duplos are basically bigger legos for smaller kids, in case someone didn't know), and they're pretty damned impossible to take apart once they're assembled :lol: Otherwise they look and feel just fine, and I think they should be compatible with real duplos too (the package says "compatible with most major brand building blocks").

10. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Ha, I learned today that at one point, Nintendo make knock-off legos. They were called Nintendo Blocks. Essentially, their big selling point was that they were round instead of rectangular. Nintendo won the court case against Lego, but they stopped making them due to poor sales. Apparently, there's not much to be built with round blocks.

The more you know.