Legend of Zelda WiiU (no title yet) revealed

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I traded in most of my physical PS4 library and managed to score a Switch with Zelda and Mario Kart. I love how open this game is and the sense of exploration and adventure, and respect the throwback to the first Zelda by dropping you in the world and saying "Welp, you're on your own". I think this game is going to be a very unique and wondrous experience... But I may have around an hour and a half playing time in and where's a damn sword?! Right now I'm using a skeleton arm for a sword. Managed to get a few bows at least.

Also, think I need to adjust to a durability system in a Zelda game....

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Played 115 hours. You get over the weapons breaking.

3. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

You totally do. I've played 85+ hours by now, and once you're able to locate some of your favorite weapons and pin them down on your map. Besides, you can expand the max amount of weapons you can carry.

I've been postponing finishing the game, honestly. I've been done with dungeons for a while, but now I'm just going around acquiring new gear and powering up before heading for the end. I absolutely love walking around and exploring new places I'd never set foot in before.

Also, I played for a while on my sister's Wii U. She had barely even finished the prologue, and she hands it to me and says "do with it whatever you want." Of course, I headed straight for Hyrule Castle. :rofl: It's freaking hilarious running around and having lasers fly by me almost in slo-mo Matrix-style. Funniest thing is, I actually made a lot of progress and acquired ridiculous gear even though all I have is 3 hearts and the clothes you begin with. :rofl:

I'm loving the sh*t out of this game, even though I do have my reservations about it.

4. Alberto7

Interesitng. What kind of setup are you running it on? I'm just wondering, given that Dolphin really juices your computer when running Gamecube/Wii games.

5. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

16gb ram, R9 390, i5-4430. Not an amazing system by any means. With a bunch of tweaking you get a highly variable 20-30fps. Optimization will come with time. Wind Waker HD runs super smooth 97% of the time.

6. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Durability stops being an issue very quickly, especially if you're going out of your way to explore instead of railroading story progression. It's very easy to procure more weapons (world spawns, Hinox and eventually Lynel, combat shrines, etc), and smart use of renewable resources (bombs, nearby magnetic objects, master sword) will leave you with a surplus of weaponry. I've thrown out many unused and partially-used weapons because I came across better ones. I've even contemplated self-imposing some restrictions on any future playthroughs to make durability more of a factor.

Ganon: Agree that he's far too easy. I'm hoping the hard mode DLC beefs him up significantly.

Zelda: YES. I remember hearing a line from her in one of the trailers and thinking her voice just didn't fit. Playing the game confirmed that.

Mipha: There's also an oblique reference to this in one of the memories, but to an extent this is just an issue with storytelling style. Minimalism and reliance on a memory mechanic don't lend themselves to deeper storytelling very well. It's a subject they've boxed themselves into a corner on given series lore (and in-game lore, since we know Zelda also developed feelings towards Link), so developing that line further or confirming that Link reciprocated those feelings could have presented some issues. I mostly give this a pass since the story of the game centers more on Link rediscovering Hyrule and finding his place in a new era, but I get what you're saying.

Master Sword: Agree, and likewise for Epona. Relegating a series icon to an Amiibo unlock is a very disappointing decision on Nintendo's part.
    Aside from that, lack of deeper/more complex dungeons is probably my only notable gripe with BotW. The exploration element is great, but I love me some dungeon crawling too. Maybe more opportunity for big/challenging fights that stretch the combat engine a bit more (ie taking on multiple relatively challenging enemies simultaneously), but some of the DLC sounds like it'll scratch that itch. In all other respects it's basically a retelling of Zelda II, and I think it does that pretty well.

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Except the Epona in this game isn't actually a horse that exists in this world otherwise. In the same way that the various green tunics shouldn't exist in this game, because at least some of those things never happened. It's just a canon breaking easter egg for people with the amiibo...

8. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Writers' decision. They could have easily written something else for Epona, or dropped Epona into the quest for the white horse (descendant of the hero's horse Epona, rather than Zelda's). As it is it feels like a lame way to drive Amiibo sales (cash grab) moreso than a proper easter egg, in which case I'd honestly rather not have Epona present at all.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Hahahahaha, fuel amiibo sales...

10. Alberto7

So I just finished the game, at 95-100 hours. No "secret" ending though, but I have since met all of the necessary requirements to activate it, so that's next on my list. I'll report back with my thoughts on it once I do it, probably in the coming days.

Just as Jonathan said in the previous page, this game is absolutely fantastic, and I can't get enough of it. Even after 110+ hours, my jaw still drops at just how gorgeous this game looks, at the complexity of its world, and at the gameplay in general. It's such a polished game, it makes my head hurt thinking of all the thought that went into the design, the testing, and the quality assurance. I think Nintendo did an absolutely impeccable job in those departments and it gets a 10/10 for that, without a shadow of a doubt.

... however, as you guys also said, I do have my reservations about the game, and they are all mostly in the story-telling/character development department. Even though the good far outshines the bad, imo, the bad is still worth talking about at length, because I was just as hyped (and sometimes I wonder maybe even more so :lol:) as everyone else, and I wanted this game to be perfect. Alas, perfection does not exist, and I fully agree with what you guys have said in your posts, and it earns ~8/10 for me.

These are some of the things I remember right now to have disliked the most in the game, as well as some of my favorite things about it.

The bad:

Let's just begin with Ganon. Oh my f*cking God, how anticlimactic that was. It's an absolute shame, because I find Hyrule castle to be my favorite location in the game, simply because of the mood it sets, and because I find the level design to be fantastic. As an end stage I find it to be totally epic, but then... Ganon happens. From the moment I stepped on the staircase that leads to him, it felt wrong. Other than the ligthing of the stage changing (I also happened to get there on a Blood Moon, which looks black with the yellow lighting in the sky and the clouds swirling about; it was epic. I'll share the screenshot I took if I can, once I get the chance), there were no voices, no impending sense of doom, no real buildup other than the Hyrule Castle level music going on (which I'd been listening to for the previous 2 hours or so, while I searched for treasure/Koroks and destroyed Guardians). Once I saw Ganon's shape, I was borderline screaming, being surprised at the fact that they put such a horrifying and nightmarish-looking character in a Zelda game. Then the fight was kind of disappointing. I'd already beat the four Blights in the Divine Beasts, which made the fight way too easy. I was also way overpowered. I had the full Ancient Armor with three levels up, an Ancient Bow, 30-something Ancient Arrows, the Master Sword, and all these 50+ weapons and shields. I didn't even flinch. Parrying his lasers was cool, as I absolutely love doing it, but it just makes the whole thing way too easy. It causes him too much damage, and simplifies the fight. Then Beast Ganon... ugh. It was cool they mentioned he had given up on reincarnation, which gets me thinking about what'll happen next on that timeline. With that said, the fight was easier than any of the Divine Beast fights, and I certainly did not feel like "Mr. Hero" for defeating him. :lol:

Another aspect I found weak about the game was a seeming lack of lore. Not that there isn't a lot of it, just not enough given how vast the world is. The world is chockfull of ruins and decayed buildings in odd places; I would have just liked to know what some of those buildings were and when they became ruined. A lot of them seemed to have been in ruins for a long time already during Zelda's time, too. Maybe I just to talk to more NPCs or complete more side-quests, though I feel that, by now, I've talked to the vast majority of NPCs, and I feel like I haven't gotten enough world-building out of side-quests, but I merely satisfied NPCs whims and quirks. (Which is a totally fun and satisfying thing to do, but
    it doesn't help world building.)

The English voice acting... I don't even need to say it. It was quite cringe-worthy at many points. Zelda's voice just didn't fit, and it felt really off. The only memory in which I didn't mind her English voice was the one after the Calamity Ganon had killed everyone. It took me a while to realize that I could switch the voices out to Japanese. And that's what I did for the ending of the game and the last two memories. It was a lot better in Japanese, but still kinda awkward. I did like Urbosa's voice a lot though, and Daruk's, though Revali was as awkward as Zelda, but he had a whole lot less exposure. I'm glad they went with the voice acting, but there was a lot of room for improvement.

I think this is all tied to the fact that parts of the story seemed to have been, as has already been mentioned, an afterthought. Everything seems to have been invested in making the rest of the game as perfect as possible, and the story suffered because of it. Not that I think the story is terrible; I really don't. I find the framework of it really cool and with a lot of potential, but it was, for the most part, terribly underdeveloped. However, the parts it got right were stellar. *cough*Hyrule Field/Castle*cough*

That seems like a lot of criticism for the game, but it's well overshadowed by the good:

I could talk for days about the brilliant world design, sense of progression, exploration, discovery, etc., but we all know about that, so here's one of my favorite things in the game other than the aforementioned: Hyrule Castle. Entering Hyrule Castle is about the most frightening thing I've done in any game. (Maybe I just haven't played enough games though. :lol:) After coming up face to face against a Guardian early on in the game, knowing that the Castle ruins were packed with them made it especially terrifying. Guardians are genuinely some of the most formidable and scary enemies I've ever faced in a videogame. It takes a looong time before you're even remotely able to so much as scratch them, let alone defeat them, so it really made me want to avoid them like the plague for a long time. Namely, until I discovered I could parry their beams with just about any shield, and still, parrying skills were kinda hard to master for me in the game (and I'm still not that good at it), so I never had a real incentive to go up against one. I love that you can enter the castle in pretty much any way you want, but it is a challenge regardless. Many areas are blocked off from one side, so you have to figure out how to get to the other, all the while having to get past some ridiculously tough enemies. The design of the place is fantastic, too. It is, really, just a giant repository of strong weapons and you don't really need to go through any of it to get to the end, but it is strongly recommended you explore it to acquire equipment before you go face Ganon.

From a storytelling perspective, I found Hyrule Field and Hyrule Castle to be brilliant. Despite what I mentioned about a lack of lore in the game, at least the buildings in Hyrule Field we can be relatively certain that they were destroyed during the Calamity. Despite the beauty of Hyrule Field (my favorite area in the game), it carries a very somber undertone, with the very weapons that decimated it still roaming about. Getting to Romani Ranch's ruins was one of the saddest things for me. I've always been fond of the ranches in the Zelda games for their somewhat cheerful and tranquil atmospheres, and seeing it in that state and with everybody dead was powerful. Then, seeing the Castle Town Ruins ahead is even worse. The fact that they have an actual map layout for it, and seeing how it's been turned to nothing but ashes... it gets to you. And then Hyrule Castle itself. I love how they made it feel like, at one point long ago, it was a alive and thriving, until a real tragedy fell upon it. All this is heightened very effectively by the two awesome themes that play while in the castle. I love how you have to go through Zelda's bedroom before getting to her Study, in front of which you can find quite a poignant memory. (I watched this one in Japanese, so it felt quite genuine; I don't know how I'd like it in English.) I thought that was a really neat placement for that memory.

And then retrieving the last memory, where Link falls and Zelda rescues him. Again, a really poignant way of presenting a memory. Surprisingly, it didn't take me more than two minutes to correctly guess where it was, so I managed to find it in no time. I had been through that same area before, scavenging the remains of the Guardians... to think I had visited the very Guardian that got so close to killing me in the past. That was awesome.

I still have to finish helping build Tarrey Town, but I like the quest so far. Really cool and satisfying side-story.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that this is my favorite Zelda game of all time, but it sure sits among the best 3 for me. I still have a majorly soft spot for Majora's Mask, because of its story.

I think that's all I can write for now on the matter. It's been a while since I posted anything this long :lol: but I felt compelled to.

I'm barely at 26.88% completion. So many Korok seeds, Jesus. :eek:

StevenC likes this.
  11. Alberto7

Couldn't resist and went to beat Ganon again for the "secret" ending. Yeah, save yourself the trouble and go watch it on YouTube. :lol: It's certainly a bit more satisfactory than "cool, you killed Ganon, now gtfo" but it isn't much better than that. You'll want to find all the memories and beat all Divine Beasts anyway, just for story content, but we're not given anything special for that, other than the actual of the memories you might be missing.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Tarrey Town was my favourite part of the game.