Legator?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by kuro_hasegawa, Sep 27, 2017.

1. kuro_hasegawa

kuro_hasegawa SS.org Regular

So, I've been an Agile man for the last 2 years, and I've gotta say, I love my Intrepid 828. I've been looking at extending my extended range collection. A few of my favorite guitarists such as Josh Travis, Mike Gianelli, and Joe Cocchi are all Legator artists. I hear nothing but good about Legator from them, but that's probably because they get free stuff from them. My play style encompasses and incorporates works from these artists, along with bands such as Entities and DVSR. I'm looking into the Ghost series since I've never owned a guitar without a headstock and I find the idea interesting. My question is: would Legator be a company worth investing in, or should I stick with Agile? What's the general consensus about Legator?

2. khm

khm SS.org Regular

3. kuro_hasegawa

takotakumi and khm like this.
  4. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Your welcome man! Good luck with your new guitar :)

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Some guy in here spent like $1k on one and I haven’t seen a single post about how great it was since. (It might be the linked thread actually).

khm likes this.
  6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Stay away from that trash

khm likes this.
  7. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

I personally have a josh travis 9 and absolutely love it. I obviously only have one guitar and can't speak on any other models, but I would buy another guitar from them. Id want an older one though because I hate the look of the new headstocks on the extended range guitars.
    I also know a guy who has a headless fanned fret 8 string and he loves it, but again we may be the lucky few.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Still one of my fav vids on YT regarding gear. My whole take on this is, you could buy from them, and maybe you would get a good guitar, but why would you want to?

They seem like a terrible company to do business with, based on several horror stories I've heard on multiple forums and sites.

There's so many other small luthiers I'd rather give my money to that are close to that price range... Ormsby for one... or just buy an Ibanez Iron Label.

couverdure and khm like this.
  9. kuro_hasegawa

Dang. I mean, I originally wasn't bothered by spending 1K on a Legator, but now, looking at the craftsmanship as of late, I'll just cling to the hip of Agile.

10. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

I know the h8 on these but the fanned 6er Ghost is REALLY cool looking

11. kuro_hasegawa

IMG_0004.JPG It's so disappointing because the fanned frets look so sweet and I don't think anyone does that.

12. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I too have one and enjoy it, but honestly it's probably not worth your time unless you REALLY want one.

They do have some features not found in many other brands (9 strings, fanned frets, 27/28.5 inch 7 strings, 28 inch 8s, finishes) but, unless you can get one with a good return policy, I would advice against it. A brand like Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, etc... will be much more consistent and accessible for the price.

I also don't like how they only use Legator-branded pickups and hardware in all models except signatures.

13. You

You þ

One thing that I would like to add is that SpectreSoundStudios seems to say otherwise, which makes me believe that Legator has the capability to make good guitars, but simply does not do so because of their incompetence.

14. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

As much as I enjoy Glen's channel, I'm going to go with Arnold as it is an unbiased gear review. Yes, Spectre also does unbiased reviews, but this is not labelled as one of them.

Backsnack likes this.
  15. kuro_hasegawa

It's odd how inconsistent they seem. You'd think that if you're trying to sell competitively, consistentcy would be your strong suit; in their case, it's their Achilles heel.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

funny though because alot of modern Ibanez guitars are shipping as absolute garbage yet everyone still seems fine considering or recommending an Ibanez?.

Ive never owned a legator and probably never will, but it seems harsh on any company to focus only on their negatives and beat them for it, whilst overlooking others companies negatives completely whilst praising them? Seems abit hypocritical to me.

sidenote, i love Arnolds YT channel!

17. USMarine75

I don't get concerned when a lemon squeaks through the QC process and makes it into the hands of a consumer. That happens. No company is immune. Even Gibson makes a lemon now and then (;))... but, what bothers me is how companies deal with it. I've mentioned it before, but I bought a $225 pedal brand new from an authorized dealer and it arrived DOA. The maker (not retailer) sent me a brand new pedal via 2-day shipping, plus he included a free ($150 value new) refurbished pedal of his as well. He definitely went above and beyond, but he earned my business. (Later on I bought another different pedal brand new from him instead of a used one at a discount from Reverb, purely because I wanted the money going to him and not the reseller.)

AkiraSpectrum and khm like this.
  18. USMarine75

Do you know what their defect rate is? Is it a small handful of people, out of the enormous volume of their customers that received defective guitars, making noise on the forums about them? [E.g. Ibanez sells 1000 units/mo and 3 defective, vs Legator selling 10/mo and 3 are defective]

And what is the response? Are they told that these defects are to be expected and that they are stuck with the instrument, or will be charged a huge fee to return, a la Kiesel and Legator? Because to my knowledge, most Ibanez retailers will take a 100% return/exchange, if there is a product defect (or in most cases if you just don't like it).

If so, then we're hardly talking comps here. :2c:

Nlelith, Masoo2, You and 1 other person like this.
  19. kuro_hasegawa

So...this really bottles down to probability? Like playing Russian roulette. Out of the six guitars that they've made this week, will I get the worst one? It's understandable that they're a small company vs the big dogs in the business, but like I said, shouldn't consistency be a priority if you're trying to gain a (good) reputation? If we have multiple people coming down with the same crappy customer service, and various retail stores discontinuing business, shouldn't that be a red flag that someone needs to get chopped?

20. USMarine75

Exactly. To go along with what I was saying about acceptable defect rates and response to wit, is that one of the reasons you go with small businesses instead of big business is: the personal touch, the feeling that getting your business matters to them, etc. So when the small business treats you like :poop: it nullifies the primary reason why you did business with them in the first place IMO.

khm likes this.