Learning neck...with different tunings

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by gLOW-x, Feb 16, 2018.

1. gLOW-x

gLOW-x SS.org Regular

Hi !
    I have 3 guitars with different tunings :
    Steel in D standard
    7S in drop A/B standard
    6S in drop C/D standard

It is a nice range.
    BUT i wonder if tuning my steel and 6S to E standard/drop D could help me with neck learning.

Is it worth the difference from your experience ?

Thanks !

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

If it's relative, then keep it as it is. I don't learn the fretboard as actual note names, just their relative position. I do think if you had an open tuning, or a straight 4ths tuning, then you're going to get into trouble. But if they're all drop tunings (or standard) and only vary by what the root pitch is, then I don't know that equalizing them would help.

3. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Not quite sure what the question is here. All of those are in the same tuning. If someone asks you to play an A minor arpeggio on any one of those, it would be the same shape, but in a different position.

ElRay likes this.
  4. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I have to ask the question how are you trying to learn the neck?

If its by the names of notes, E standard is a good place to start. Then most players I think, or atleast myself like to still think of those notes as the same notes regardless of tunings, almost as a reference. Of course we have to be aware the other band mates are in this tuning with us though right? If not you would have to play things in different positions then say someone in E standard, if your in D standard. Ya feel? Playing in D standard and reading musical charts for example can make parts harder etc. as well.

At the end of the day with this knowledge it is possible to play in any tuning you want and play any chord/song you want. But it isn't worth learning typically.

TLDR

Learn the names of your notes in E standard and Drop D. Refer to them as those notes regardless of tunings, but just be aware they aren't "Really" those notes :)

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

+1 just learn intervals. If you need to know actual note names, you'll get more and more comfortable with them over time practicing in each tuning, but intervals will be the most use

6. gLOW-x

gLOW-x SS.org Regular

Thanks for all your kind and useful answers :cheers:
    I will keep my guitars like this, because i can play a lot of songs with this combination.
    And concentrate on intervals/shapes.

After all, thinking my E chord shape is a D chord, and a song in Am is in fact Gm is not a big problem :D

Lasik124 and Winspear like this.