Lazy weekend rig

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Grindspine, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Does anyone else have a lazy weekend rig? With my recent work-related shoulder injury, I couldn't be bothered to get my rack equipment Mesa gear out to play this weekend.

I settled on just running my Prestige RGD into a VHT Valvulator, Crybaby Q-zone, and Crate 2x12+ (with Celestions) and an Earcandy Bailey 2x8.

[​IMG]

Anyone else have a lazy weekend rig where you put together just barely enough gear to sound halfway (halfassed) decent?

couverdure and thraxil like this.
  2. akinari

akinari no change, only age

Sort of. My main rig is based around 2 heads and 2 2x12 cabs, so if I'm feeling lazy I just take one head and one cab. But I've been thinking about grabbing a small poweramp like an EHX 44 Magnum or the upcoming Seymour Duncan monstrosity and using an AMT Legend Amp Series 2 preamp into my little Panama 1x12 for when I'm feeling extra extra lazy.

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

RGA121 into Mercuriall U530 always stays up loaded on Reaper on weekends...we're busy all weekend most of the time so I get a few minutes here and there to play.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah, Im designing a small pedal board rig that will include the ability to go direct or into a Cab depending on what I want to do.

The main tone will be provided by the Laney IRT Pulse preamp pedal, being boosted by something. Was hoping to get in on the Horizon devices train but I didnt pre order in the end so might have to settle for something like the Amptweaker tight Jr etc. (built in noise gate is a must for minimal setup).
    The line 6 relay G10 wireless, and the Seymour Duncan powerstage 170 pedal poweramp.
    I have the Torpedo CAB already on the board so i will get a splitter to come from the preamp pedal and then go into 2 paths.
    path 1 > poweramp > 2x12
    path 2 > Torpedo CAB > Direct to PA

then depending on the situation I can turn off 1 of the paths if not needed etc. Or have them both on If I want to gig with the thing and have great stage monitoring, but nothing mic'd and go direct from the CAB at the same time.

Want to try fitting a whammy DT on the board too.

5. Grindspine

I love how the lazy rigs are small, but still have enough into them that shows some serious thought about the signal path!

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

THIS!.

Im a kemper owner, but realistically I love the thing so much I do not want to be using it for EVERY show. Like smaller, local shows, a compact and convenient pedal board with all bells and whistles, that covers every base needed makes way more sense.

for me, Kempers are needed and come into their own if you are playing festivals and there is no time for soundchecks etc before changeovers.

You can have your Kemper ready to go and all the sound guy has to do is volume and you are ready instantly.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

My HD500 into my home hifi. I have a G30 hooked up too. I'm two hardware buttons and a press of a remote away from playing.

TheKindred likes this.
  8. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Zoom g3x into hi-fi ...

9. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Its called my Taylor GS Mini Koa. Go acoustic for a lazy weekend rig for me with no amp.

10. Grindspine

I have that covered too!

[​IMG]

I just really wanted to play some chuggy metal this weekend without getting (or lifting) my Mesa rack.

The Taylor GS mini is like the ultimate couch or back porch acoustic chill guitar!

11. Grindspine

I don't know that I could squeeze anything else into my entertainment center. That is an awesome idea though.

I really need a bigger place where I can leave a rig set up for plug-and-play fun... Ah, that'll happen like several years in the future (maybe).

12. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Permanently Tired.

Guitar -> Micro Terror -> Panama 2x8.

Job done :D

13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Archon combo, DIG pedal and my Jackson dk2m

14. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Haha. I used to, but it also got ridiculous. I had a Black Pearl 30 combo, but then I wanted another 1x12 cab to run with it, then my pedalboard got nuts trying to find a drive sound I liked with it... Now, I have a 5153 50W and I'm thinking about grabbing a 1x12 or 2x12 for smaller gigs or jamming with friends. Hauling the 4x12 around is kinda painful.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

how are you guys going into Hifi's and surround sounds etc?.
    I have a sony surround sound that would be great to run my home setup through. But I have no idea how to do that.
    My surround sound amp has RCA looking inputs on the back. Red and white. There does not appear to be an Aux in anywhere

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

My head unit has an 1/8" aux in I'm using with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, but you should be able to just use a cheap 1/4" to RCA adapter if that's the only input you have to work with. They're like $5.

17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Thought about modding an Ibby RG and get a Peavey Bandit with HM-2 for some old school Black Metal.

18. IGC

IGC OCDG

For me it's no rig just grab one of my electrics and play, no amp nuthin. That's not even a weekend thing either, that's my usual. Wich is not very often.

19. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

My main/only rig is pretty simple really since I'm not a gigging musician. Just my Jackson King V STD into my Randall RD-1H into a JCA24S. Or if I want to play along to songs I'll plug my guitar into my iPad and load JamUp.

20. Grindspine

Since photobucket nixed image hosting, let's see if imgur works!

[​IMG]

I got me a little Hotone Heart Attack Nano as a bedroom practice amp. The Mesa/Boogie Triaxis/2:Ninety is just too much for apartment usage. The old Crate combo really doesn't do much justice for volume or sound quality.

[​IMG]

The Heart Attack is a tiny 5 watts, but it is efficient enough for my girlfriend to say that it is too loud. The amp is supposed to sound like it was inspired by a Dual Recto. It does not have the depth of a real Dual Recto, but gets kinda close to the little 20 watt Recto. Hotone did something right with the way the bass and gain controls interact with the distortion structure.

I'm still using my little Pedaltrain Volto powered pedalboard still featuring the Dunlop Crybaby mini, 805 overdrive, MicroVibe, and Pro Tone Pedals delay. Overall, it makes a nice little practice rig!