Large Strings? Kalium Strings?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by FingersuvfireNfury, Dec 7, 2016.

1. FingersuvfireNfury

FingersuvfireNfury WATCHERS

So my question is, have any of you guys played around with really large strings? I ordered..

for my Schecter KM-7 FR S. Playing in drop E. I don't even know if that string will fit through the locking nut. I used their tension calculator for the strings on my Ibanez SRFF806 bass and got a set with a .182 on it and it turned out perfect. So I decided to try it again with my guitar this time.

SO there you have it. What do you guys think of Kalium strings in general, and have you played on any extra large strings like this. The largest I've played on is a .074. The bass strings still seem bright, are the guitar strings?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Their guitar strings are actually identical in construction to their bass strings, just cut shorter and tapered at a different point. Their bass strings are made very flexible so work well as guitar strings. They have guitar strings up to .182 available.

3. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

.182?! Dag! The highest I went was 135 for a dropC bass and I thought that was cable.
    Not sure how 102 is going to work with a FR (?)

4. FingersuvfireNfury

FingersuvfireNfury WATCHERS

It has a taper on both ends so I'm hoping it will be fine. More worried about the nut. Filing the nut on my bass was fine but it's a normal nut.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

Kalium strings are good but I prefer La Bella strings. I tried a kalium .90 on my OS8 and it was a little too rounded/mellow in the sound for my taste. Plus La Bella custom makes the strings so you can get them tapered however you need.

6. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

Kalium are my favorite strings, in my experience. they're the only strings brand i've tried that sound really great, feel really great, and last really long, all at the same time. can't help with the extreme lowest strings though.

7. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

SO there you have it. What do you guys think of Kalium strings in general, and have you played on any extra large strings like this. The largest I've played on is a .074. The bass strings still seem bright, are the guitar strings?[/QUOTE]

My opinion of these guys used to be be good but that has changed for me personally. I ordered strings back on 11/17/2016 and have yet to receive them, they were eventually sent back to Kalium and they have had them since the 12/12 WTF! They may be a small operation but that's no excuse for not answering your emails (several asking for help) and taking care of business. I did my part and paid for them and I expected them to uphold theirs. Their customer service sucks and I could care less how busy they are that's not my problem, hire more employees. I give them a thumbs down dude, check out the guys @ StringJoy, I love their strings and the customer service is top notch, quick delivery and get this...they answer their email and their company is only 3 people.