Large Gigging Gear Overhaul!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lewis, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so yesterday I traded in my old rig/setup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for two Headrush FRFR's

[​IMG]

and

Fishman Moderns Brushed Steel
    [​IMG]

to pair with my

[​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

Gigging will be a breeze now!

Once the whole setup is in its touring rack cases etc, I will post up a rig rundown video.
    (Kemper is staying at home in my recording space)

2. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Eh....welcome to mosquito tone.

KailM likes this.
  3. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Curious how the Headrush 112's hold up!

Sad to see a brother let go of a T2 as a V2 owner...

But I might have to do the same soon :(
    Wish they'd make a mini V2 that didn't weigh 75 FUCKING pounds lol

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

? I have no idea what you mean.

If its a knock at lack of low end, everything Ive read suggests the headrush's have too much low end if anything?.

Either way, they are my monitors to do anything with (ive known places to complain about a foot up on a wedge) and are going to save my back and sound infinitely better than most venues provided so im happy.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I know :( that weight was the main reason. It sounds good and was my main poweramp for the Kemper then the AX8 for the last 6 months. But with shows now booked for the new year, and us deciding to go direct for consistency, lugging this thing around was just not needed and would have been a hassle. It weighs so damn much.

plus only being a poweramp was doing it a disservice. Someone could be using it for its main tones and could give it some love.

EDIT:

As soon as I have both in January (when Ive been told the distributor is delivering them to the store i done the trade in with) I will write up my feelings on them. I know for a fact that whilst the housing is the same as the ALTOs but with the Headrush badge, the internals have been changed a bit so its not like you are literally just buying Altos with a different badge. They do sound quite a bit better in sound comparisons Ive used.

0rimus likes this.
  6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

World's gone mad.

budda and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

tell me about it

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Semi-off topic: After our latest show we had the venues light guy come up to us and threaten physical violence because we got a drop or two of water on one of his beloved 30+ year old cheapo stage lights. We told him to fuck off.

If you can't afford to break it, don't bring it to a live show.

cwhitey2 and lewis like this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

point proven.

Its getting a tad ridiculous. Like you say, if its that precious, dont use it for gigs/lend it out to the venue etc?

Seems obvious.

The fact I can have the stage volume for our mix whatever volume WE want now (without soundguy being able to do anything about it), put out feet up on top of them without any complaints, its also going to sound better than the stock wedges in most instances and weigh less than hauling in cabs just for stage monitoring.

Sogradde likes this.
  10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I nearly got murdered by the guy who owns a local practise room setup because I said something that implied some ancient piece of shit Peavey bass amp wasn't the finest piece of musical gear ever bestowed upon mankind.

Then a couple of weeks later I accidentally left behind a cymbal clamp and he threw it away! He threw it away after only a week! I'm not like, super bothered but....he threw it away!

Needless to say we now practise round at mine.

lewis and Sogradde like this.
  11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Wait until some sound guy gets pissed about you putting your foot up on your own monitor since he got confused and thought it was his.

0rimus, Kyle Jordan and lewis like this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i literally cannot wait.
    The look on their faces when they are in the middle of having a go and they look down only to see its my monitor instead, will be worth it.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Nah, if you know what you're doing with FRFR there's no reason you'd have "mosquito tone".

I'm guessing it'll be more "sound guys" getting pissed because they have to unhook and XLR from a microphone to DI the guitar. Or when you correct him as he's trying to mic-up your monitor. I'm still flabbergasted in the year 2018 that there are sound guys that don't understand the concept of a DI for guitar.

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yes x100 to both posts here.

sigh, it really is diabolical that there are "soundguys" who dont have a clue.

Music stores in the UK will only hire people who have an updated knowledge of gear/equipment as it moves with the times.

I see being a Soundman in the same vein. You have a responsibility as a soundguy to make sure you keep up to date with your knowledge as gear moves from one era to the next.
    To literally be THE guy who can make or break a bands sound live, and be that clueless is an utter disgrace.

Ive written this story before in here on another thread, but one time I was playing a gig where mid set my bands 2nd guitarist lost ALL sound/output. We continued to play the song through whilst he frantically searched for an explanation.

Out of nowhere the soundguy appears on stage with us, and infront of us all and the crowd, mimed quite obviously "I dont know whats wrong - pretend to play".

That about sums it up....yes folks, "pretend to play"

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

My favourite is when they tell us to turn down.

lewis likes this.
  16. GunpointMetal

This really depends on the venue/sound system. I haven't done sound in a looooong time (because fuck dealing with musicians all the time, I get enough of that in the bands), but sometimes I'd have to work in small places with basically two mains and a sub, then some band comes in with two full stacks, an 8x10, and then a keyboard player who wants to DI. Do a soundcheck and I tell them there is no way anyone is gonna hear the drums, keys, or vocals...and they don't care, but then when someone tells them after their set that they sounded like shit, it was my fault, lol. Gotta play to the room/PA.

17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Yeah, that sounds like bands that don't have their sound dialled in. Glad we don't have that problem :lol:.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  18. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Well, I've seen some of these packaged deals tours that have modelers and the results most of the time have been horrible mosquito sound.
    I get good sound occasionally thru my DI (HK Redbox) but not always :)

19. GunpointMetal

But that's not inherent to the gear. The only band I've personally seen running modelers that I though sounded not great was AAL....and they were running cabs on stage, as well, so I think it was just the tones dialed in or the sound person.

lewis likes this.
  20. GunpointMetal

I'm still amazed when I send a DI line to a sound guy and its like some of them can't NOT EQ every channel. I send him a guitar that's HPF at ~100Hz and LPF around 6kHz, and a bunch of them will dial in their filters at the board anyways just so they can hear that they did something it seems. My plan is to get both my bands fully-self contained with splitters for all the channels. If we're playing somewhere where I trust the sound person, he can just grab all the individual lines of the split and we get our sick IEM mix. If we're playing someplace where the soundguy is dolt, he gets a stereo line and instructions to set the channel EQs flat and adjust the volume only.

lewis likes this.