Laney IRT Studio 15

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TelegramSam, Aug 14, 2013.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam 7-string Understudy

So I heard about this amp from a friend of mine. As a bedroom guitarist, this is a dream come true. It records, it has a killer tone, and is easy to use! I bought it from GAK for £399, prices vary from place to place but its around that sort of mark wherever you are.

[​IMG]

Ease of use: 3.7/5 - The handbook tells you most of the things you need to know, plus the amp controls are relatively simple - just play with them to find your tone. Loses points for the instructions of the recording aspect. It fails to mention that if you want to record with low latency, then you need ASIO4ALL, but apart from that, it shows how to record different tones, such as the dry signal and the full amp tone. When using the USB connection, there are two 'channels' - the left channel is for the dry tone, the right is for the full tone. Switching from the clean channel to the rhythm channel can also be a little confusing.

Features: 4.8/5 - Would be perfect if it had one more effect - some lush chorus :3 But to save me from quoting the manual - here's the PDF for it: http://www.laney.co.uk/uploads/be5d7e69a1be34fca1380d941a689574.pdf

Reliability: 5/5 - Hasn't failed me yet. Built to last, and so far has just been plug in and go.

Value: 5/5 - Best £399 I've ever spent. Compared to some other 15 watt amps I think it offers so much more for your money too.

Customer Support: N/A - Haven't had to use it yet. Touch wood I won't have to either.

Expressiveness/Sounds: 4.8/5 - In classic Laney fashion its a very high gain amp, which I personally love, but people may want something more restrained. All the channels can be overdriven, even the clean channel :hbang: Reverb is good quality. There is a 3 band EQ for all channels where the bass can be deepened and the mid and treble can be shifted for even more variation of tone so you can really experiment. Tone and dynamics control allow for even more variation. When I'm looking for that modern metal chug, or the (brace yourself) djent tone, I just lower the bass and the treble slightly, and put more mid in. When I'm looking for some nice harmonics a la Eddie Van Halen or George Lynch, I turn the tone to +1/+2, shift the treble and turn the gain up. Would love some built in chorus, but hey, you can't have everything, right?

TL;DR - You can do more or less anything, but no chorus.

Overall rating: 4.7/5 - Great amp for the money, lost a few points for being a tad confusing at first, but it gets easier very quickly. Once you're in control - you can do more or less anything with it. Just be careful with the gain. This amp is very growly and will bite if not handled properly.

Peace out!

TelegramSam :)

2. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head, Laney really did bring something new to the table with this offering.:yesway:

3. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

This will definitely be my next amp :D Been gone from the tube amp game a loooong time and this compact beast will fit the bill perfectly!

4. billys

billys SS.org Regular

Could you post a setting for a good lead tone?

5. TelegramSam

TelegramSam 7-string Understudy

If you tell me what you're looking for I may be able to help. My idea of good lead tone is probably different to yours.

6. mike90t09

mike90t09 No glam. Just slam.

Great review! I totally want this thing now lol saw a few videos and it's beast.

7. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I just bought it today. It is an amazing amp, but IMHO it has to be paired with a Ironheart cabinet to unleash its full power. Through any other cabinet, even high quality, it sounds OK but not fabulous.
    So far, 4.5/5. My only complaint is that the phones-out is a bit low volume for my taste...

8. csm84

csm84 csm84

I realize this is an old thread but i have a few questions. I have actually already posted them in the gear forums but its been two days and have not recieved the first reply. I think its easier if i just copy and paste the thread. Was hoping mabe someone could help me out here.

So i got my Laney Irt studio yesterday. I bought it for at home use for practice and recording. I am not using it with an external cab but instead just headphones. It works fine playing with headphones and am digging the sound although i am thinking about investing in some nicer headphones. As said before i am playing and recording with headphones and the DAW i am using is reaper. I have the Laney Irt studio hooked up to the computer via USB. Now i have run into some problems. First step was to set it up in reaper for recording. I went to options and then preferences. For Audio system i selected (Direct Sound). I think that i right. For input device i selected Line (USB Audio CODEC). and for output device i selected my computer speakers. First thing first i would like to set it up so that after i record it plays back through the headphones and not the computer speakers. I tried to select every option i had on output devices and the only thing that produced a sound was my computer speakers. So how do i get my recordings to playback through the headphones that are hooked up to the back of my Laney Irt Studio? Secondly when i record into reaper on the lead channel with pretty heavy distortion settings when i play it back through my computer speakers it is just a dry guitar signal. No gain what so ever. Why is that and what do i need to do to fix that.

So all in all

1. How do i set up by Laney Irt Studio in reaper so that it records and plays back through my headphones?

2. When recording with heavy gain settings in reaper, why is it that when i play it back there is only a dry guitar with zero gain?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

9. scallionboy

scallionboy SS.org Regular

Hullo all I'm new to this site.

To csm84

I use reaper myself.
    First download asio 4all
    Then choose it in preferences . Not direct sound.
    You should only have one asio driver unless you have a pod or some other interface
    The irt sends dry on one stereo side and the wet/gain on the other.
    In preferences you should see 2 inputs and 2 outputs when you have selected this.
    Open two tracks in reaper and in the input source options of each select inputs 1 for one and input 2 for the other.
    Now you should have wet and dry signals.
    You can mute the dry track so you don't hear it when recording.
    There are plenty of you tube vids from laney artists showing how to do this
    Hope this helps