Laney Ironheart IRT60H/120H

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ShadyDavey, Aug 2, 2011.

1. theGirthquake

theGirthquake metalhead

Storytime: I had a modded 5150 and a stock 6505+. I got the 5150 sounding absolutely crushing and it became my go-to, the 6505+ sat at home for domestic noodling but I felt it should go to someone who would really use it. It sat on craigslist for a while, until some guy wanted to do an even swap for some Laney head I'd never heard of. Almost deleted the email, but I have a healthy respect for all things Laney and gave it the courtesy of a google search.

IronHeart 120H. Dont know shit about it and couldn't find any decent A/B vids online. Seemed kinda gimmicky with the red lights and all the fancy features. Digital reverb? Did they lose a bet with Line 6? Hell the whole thing retails for under a grand, pass.

But...Laney.

It ate at me and ate at me until, long story short, I emailed the dude and said ....it let's swap'em. Sight unseen, never heard it in person, but oh what the hell. Plugged it up not knowing what to expect, dialed in some settings that felt about right, cranked it the .... up, kicked it off standby, hit open E power chord (actually was open F# on my 8str but you know what I mean) and...

Nothing. Forgot to plug in my guitar. Standby-plug-off standby-chord-BWAAAAAAAAAAWWAAAAAAAAAAWWWAAAWWAAAAAAAAAAEAEAEAEAEAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....

HOLY. ....ING. SHIT.

This amp seriously ....ing rips. I am blown away. It is just wide ass open and nasty and epic with no fizzy bullshit, it's tight but still punches you in the chest on every palm-muted strike. It slices through everything. Just a massive amount of character and depth. The EQing is actually useful, and the push/pulls let you really dial in the tone you want. And it's built like an armor-plated brick shithouse.

I'm not going to spend all day writing a detailed review, and I haven't had a chance to A/B it on the same cabs with my 5150, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you I'm keeping this "gamble". All stupid posting aside, this is a truly impressive amp that I am confident will become a common model in these metal amp discussions with time, once it's been out for long enough for people to discover it.

Ok .... you all I'm going back to playing \m/

Edit: some points--
    - for tone preference context, I'm into death, black, and pursue tones of some doom/sludge
    - I read somewhere someone saying it is lacking in the gain dept....this person may be retarded and we should try not to stare. I play my 5150 lead channel around 7 and occasionally boosted. I play the Ironheart lead channel around 7, with the boost knob around 4. Not scientific, but you get the drift. Again I haven't run them side by side, and not much really touches the psychogain territory of those Peaveys, but the Laney has PLENTY to work with. I'm a gain whore with the worst of'em and I'm happier'n a baby in a barrel of titties.
    - that said, the onboard boost is useless to my ears above 5. If you're into raunchy gain trash maybe it's up your alley, but it gets weird. Up to around 4 though its a nice healthy useful boost and works well with the amp. The exact location of this threshold of usefulness will of course depend on your equipment and taste, but at any rate the upper range of the boost function is a bit dodgy.
    - the tone knobs are incedibly useful and well-designed, very easy to quickly dial in a very wide range of shaping.

2. nlaplante

nlaplante SS.org Regular

Holy necro thread

3. DownTuner

DownTuner SS.org Regular

Shameless self promotion time! But at least it's closely related to the topic, haha.

The band I'm in, C√łnstantine, just released a new single called 'Remedy' and all the guitars tones came from a Laney IRT60 head (which we both have), quad tracked, 2 tracks through a Marshall 4x12 cab and 2 tracks through a Mesa 4x12 cab.
    I personally like the tones we got really much, it has character. And character is good! :shred:

If you wanna hear how the amp sounds in a mix, here's a playthrough video of the new song:

Thank you and sorry! :D

4. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

No need to be sorry, sounds great. Vocalist is kinda funny with the one-on-one with the camera but he sounds great.. Looking forward to more stuff from you guys.

tscoolberth likes this.
  5. DownTuner

DownTuner SS.org Regular

Haha, it's a funny story. We were meant to shoot just a normal playthrough but decided to film our singer lip sync badly at the very last moment. Only because no one really does playthrough videos with a singer. Happy you liked the stuff!