Lace X-bar or Death bar in bridge??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Gmork, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive read completely conflicting things about the death bar specifically. On the lace website its described as having more mids than the X bar.
    Ive also read here on SSO of people saying that the death bar has more bass and treble and then a lace rep chiming in and agreeing lolol.
    So whats the deal?

Id like a good thick and beefy even tone thats articulate and clear, ie NOT scooped. Which one would you pick & why?
    All clips ive heard sound good to me. So confused.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

deathbar has more of everything, especially mids and output. Xbar is far more versatile as far as the tones it can get (it has by far the best cleans I've ever heard from an 8 string pickup) but the low end is squishier imo. Neither will give you super thick tones just from the pickups, you'd have to play with your amp eq.

Gmork likes this.
  3. larsmul

larsmul SS.org Regular

I have a deathbar in the bridge and an x-bar on the neck , of a very resonant and full sounding guitar , with solid acoustic basses .
    I found that the deathbar to be too powerful for my taste , with a lot of bass and mids but no bite on treebles .
    I like a more even sounding p-u , with less compression ( the deathbar even distort a clean channel ) and more precision/fast attack .
    So I got an x-bar to put on the bridge spot , I will mount it in a while and report of the changes .
    A good clip of the x-bar bridge is this one :

A good clip with the deathbar :

Gmork likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Go dual xbars.

I had the deathbar and its a nightmare.
    A hifi fuzzy sheen over everything you do high gain that you cant dial out.
    The xbar neck was outstanding. I wish i had gone dual xbar myself.