Lace Alumitone Humbucker

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Darkstar124, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

I pickup up this little gem off musiciansfriend on a whim one day, having had interest in them for quite a while now. I installed it into one of my stranger guitars, a mighty mite strat with the majority of the body completely routed out, and metal grating attached to either side, which all the hardware mounts to. Finding a pickup for this guitar has been difficult. At first I had a burstbucker 2, but I have a feeling those were designed for mahgogony guitars...not hoolowed out steel monsters. No low end punch, no real bite. I swapped that out for an X2N, knowing little about them. This time, too much high end, too much ripping and tearing for such a bright instrument.

Then, along came Lace. This pickup is so different. It's the most expressive, clear pickup I've ever heard. It's in bridge position and I'm using a Valveking 100 with a Jet City overdrive in front of it, which is to say I have a metric shit ton of gain running though my rig, and even as I play wonky ridiculous chords, every note rings out clearly. With a little tweaking I have this ting sounding like a glass opera house. It's just wonderful. I play weird stuff, so to have a guitar that I can rip around on and still have it sound articulate it just beyond my dreams. I play in dropped D, and I do chug a lot but i also play lots of strange chords and fun stuff. This pickup does it all. And to those who are wondering, 'can it djent?' I'm sure. Just not so long as it's in my guitar. It does have the capacity to do so with flying colors, though. Harmonics are rich, clear and you don't have to struggle to find them, no matter where you are. Awesome. The clean sounds are verging on acoustic-y/peizo-y clean and chimey, absolutey beautiful.

I gave the features a mediocre score because I had initially wired this with a push pull pot to split, but I didn't really care for the split sound at all. Disappointing, but not deal breaking. However, my guitar is lighter, and I have a feeling this thing is gonna LAST. Not terribly expensive, not terribly cheap. Nothing to complain about really. :agreed:

I really dig this pickup for my sound, I think it's worth the experiment to any guitarist with the patience to try something radically different with their pickups and rig. Give em a shot!

2. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Curious to try them, it's too bad they don't make 7 string ones, especially the Deathbucker.

3. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Check the dimensions - Ola Strandberg was able to put a 6-string Aluma 90 in one of his 7-string guitars. Since there are no polepieces, you don't have to worry so much about lining things up with individual strings, so long as the entire pickup is wide enough to fit. The Bass Bar 3.5 would also fit an EMG-sized route for a 7-string guitar, but that isn't designed for the same tonal response as the Deathbucker and other "traditional" Alumitone styles.

4. spacecadet23

spacecadet23 Southern Djentleman

They do make a 7 string version of the deathbucker for non-EMG routes. Check the site for the Aluma Humbucker 7 and DeathBucker 7. They only come in black but, in my opinion, that's the best color :hbang:

5. Zsharp

Zsharp SS.org Regular

I agree with this review! awesome pickup, I tried them for the first time about a week ago and loved them! was a little nervous going in because I play more fusion, funk, jazz styles, needing clean tones a lot and this pickup delivered, nice clarity and the bridge pickup sang, not too bright which is important for me! The pickups were loaded in a strandberg boden 7!