KRK Rokit 6-G3 or the Yamaha HS7 for playing/mixing?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by venndi, May 10, 2018.

1. venndi

venndi SS.org Regular

I've sold my tube amp and cabinet also, becouse in apartment I can't use it. I thought that I would buy some monitors for mainly playing on guitar, generally music listening and also for mixing/mastering when I have a time for that.
    Most of the people say that the HS7 is a better, but also I have read that the sound of the yamis are flat, which maybe is a good thing for mixing, but maybe not for just playing with a guitar.

I don't know...which would be the better choice in my case?

2. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

well, I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 which I use it with my Axe-Fx II and I use it for playing and tone-tweaking all the time. I have no issue with the flatness of the speaker sounds, and IMO pairing my Yamaha HS7 and Axe-Fx is useful for finding a good tone for recording. From my experience, back when I have a pair of 3-inch Alesis monitor speaker, the tone that I tweak from it does not translate well on other speaker. It sounds good on the Alesis, but it sounds shit on other speakers.

Just my 2 cents and I hope it helps

3. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

An accurate representation will allow your tones to translate everywhere. The rockits and Hs7s should both be compatible, the hs7's reputation is actually making things sound "bad", with a mix sounding good on them should sound better on all other speakers.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't personally have a lot of "trust" for the Rokits below the 8" ones. I have the 8" G2 and they can more-or-less represent some reasonably low content, but the smaller ones don't really do it. Instead, they seem to hype up the lowest stuff they can play to "sound bass-y", but realistically everything below a certain point was just missing on the ones I've tried. It gives the illusion of covering a range that it doesn't really cover, which defeats the purpose of a monitor IMO.

I have no experience with the HS7, but I've heard good things.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I looked at the Rockit 8s when last shopping for monitors (maybe 6-7 years ago) and ended up with the Yamaha HS80Ms which now are branded HS8s.

I can broadly confirm what you've heard. Hands down, the Yamahas were more accurate - flatter, way more open and detailed in the high end, clearer and more accurate. The Rockits meanwhile were kind of dark and VERY bass heavy - very punchy low end, which would probably be desirable if you were playing an amp modeler through them, but it didn't give you nearly as clear a picture of the low end.

I'd say think about what your priority is - do you want something to mix and master music on or do you want something to play your guitar through? If the former, I'd recommend the Yamahas. If the latter, honestly I'd recommend some sort of guitar cab and solid state poweramp, and use that for low volume playback. The Rockits would be punchier in the low end, but wouldn't compare nearly as well to a real guitar cab, even at low volumes.

rezafelayati likes this.
  6. venndi

venndi SS.org Regular

Thanks for the help guys!
    I'll try to get some HS7 on the used market, then I'll see that I need some amp cab or not for practice, maybe a mesa 50/50 power amp which can work on 15W, plus the eleven rack...but I think the 15W is also too much for bedroom volume.

Metalloutd likes this.