Krank Revolution+ Tube question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by CostelloCore, Apr 10, 2012.

1. CostelloCore

CostelloCore SS.org Regular

So I just went to my local Guitar Center to pick up a Krank Rev+ head and when I got there noticed the head had EL34s in it. I know this head comes with 6550s so this threw me off a bit. I pulled up google on my phone there in the store to try and see if anyone else has heard of/done this combo and didn't find anything. I want this head and decided to put it on layaway so that I could do some research before actually taking it home.. and I guess my question is, does anyone know what kind of mods would have to go into this head to make it run el34s properly? and has anyone seen this head with el34s before?

any input is appreciated.

thanks!

guitarneeraj likes this.
  2. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp Contributor

As far as my knowledge about amps goes, changing the power tubes of an amplifier would require a different biasing circuit(changing out some of the bias resistors) so my hunch is the amp was modded. You should find out if the mod was done by a professional.
    I don't know about the Rev+, but I myself have owned a Krankenstein+ head with 6550's and I had managed to modify the bias circuit with some difficulty to have EL34's in it.
    EL34's are the more traditional choice for power tubes and have a warmer tone, 6550's have a more aggressive, grittier feel but clean up really well.

Hope this helps! :wavey:

3. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

tried digging something up on anything about the Revolution + with EL34 but all I get is that they should be using 6550 power tubes...wierd

4. CostelloCore

Thanks. GC has a 30 day warranty on their used gear so I'll probably just got pick it up and take it to a reputable tech. I hope everything checks out on it, I really like the head.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

If it were me, I'd sure wanna know who done the mod. If they don't have some documentation from a proven tech then I'd avoid it.

I realize some guys live much closer to reputable techs, but where I live it would be a send off to have any repairs done if eventually needed.

6. CostelloCore

I had emailed Eurotubes and they responded, they basically said the same thing. Bias circuit would have to be modded, or they said someone could be lazy and just drop el34s in the amp and let them run cold. At any rate he said I should take his info and try to get them to knock the price down, have it checked out and if its hacked to just return it.

7. CostelloCore

Thanks for the replies guys!

8. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp Contributor

Glad to be of help! Good luck! :wavey:

Although EL34's sound way better than 6550's, just my :2c: