Krank Krankenstein vs Peavey Triple XXX?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JamesTSi, May 6, 2012.

1. JamesTSi

JamesTSi SS.org Regular

I may be running into an opportinuty to trade my Peavey Triple XXX amp head with an Avatar 4x12 cab for a Krank Krankenstein head, and matching Krank cab. Good deal, bad deal? Thoughts? How is the tone on the Krank? Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

2. Gryphon

Gryphon SS.org Regular

What kind of music do you play?

3. JamesTSi

JamesTSi SS.org Regular

A lot of what we play is all over the place. old Killswitch Engage, Bury Your Dead, A Static Lullaby. I want something with a really tight high gain tone that cuts through with good mids.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Keep the XXX, IMO.

5. TheEntheogenEgoKiller

TheEntheogenEgoKiller C.R.E.A.M

Go with the krank.. I can't say enough about the cabs. The amp is dark sounding, tight and perfect for high gain mids.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Peavey XXX all day every day. Try the Krank and see for yourself.

7. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I can't stand XXX heads, love Krank heads, but I don't like Krank cabs.

Perfect world? keep the avatar cab and replace the head haha.

8. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

What dont you like about the XXX?

9. amarshism

amarshism SS.org Regular

Keep your head, trade the cab.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

+1. Even though I dislike Krank amps, their cabs are supposed to be fucking amazing. :D

11. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

To me Krank amps have this really husky bark sort of tone with not much fizz or gain. Plus with the pregain cranked they hiss like a cobra. If that's what you're into then go for it. Personally I'd trade the XXX for a 6505+...

12. artmachine

artmachine SS.org Regular

I've only heard a krank once in a band setting, but it sounded surprisingly muffled and it was even being played through a mesa cab. On the other hand, I got a xxx a few months ago and it's the best high gain head I've owned and played thus far even while I had a 5150ii for a year and a half. I think the biggest problem people have with the xxx is that it's definitely not plug and play and that the eq is very touch sensitive. I agree that a 5150/6505 has this undeniable bite, but it certainly lacks in tonal range and the clean channel, even on the 5150ii, is extremely bland and doesn't have a ton of headroom. Obviously, everyone has their preferences and there wouldn't be so much to pick from if that wasn't the case, but I think the xxx is an incredible amp that can cover a solid amount of ground too.

13. jllozano

jllozano SS.org Regular

Just got a XXX and i am loving it with a vader 412....definitely get the XXX retubed... JJ 12dw7 in V2 works some magic in that amp

14. asilayamazing

asilayamazing SS.org Regular

mesa power 6l6's really smooth the tone out.

15. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

fuck if I still had my XXX I'd throw some KT77's up in there. Bitches love KT77's.

16. evilsaint

evilsaint SS.org Regular

I'd say keep the XXX. I never get enough gain and good modern tone from my Krank amps.

17. blackrobedone

blackrobedone SS.org Regular

Get the Krank. It's worth more, and has less fizzly gain. It must be dialed in properly though, with the presence almost at 0.
    I'm referring to my personal experience with the XXX and the Krankenstein +.

18. EvolDerek

EvolDerek BEADGBEG

Stick with the Krankenstein, I love mine. Ive played a few XXX's before, but they didnt wow me like my Krank did when I first plugged in.

19. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Oh, the lateral swap is always the hardest to evaluate. Personally, I didn't love the Krankenstein head. I found it muddy and difficult to pin down a sound that I found usable. I had less troubles with the XXX. The cab situation is an interesting one also. The Krankenstein cab is solid maple with 150W Eminence Texas Heats. The thing about the TH speakers is that they have mondo headroom, which really translates into nearly no speaker distortion. Which is great if you either A: require cleans at massive volumes or B: are totally in love with your amp's distortion, such that you do not require (or desire) the breakup offered by a Vintage 30 (or similar, lower wattage speaker). The Avatar is also a very well put together cab, but made with 13 ply birch instead of solid wood. And, if it's been your cab since new, you probably chose the speakers.

Personally, I own the Krankenstein cab and love it, but it's not for everyone and I also have a 1x12 with a V30 in it for extra flavour when I record. If I were you, I would probably not make the trade based on your cab being a part of your sound and the XXX being a better sounding head. Unless you are totally bored with your rig, in which case I'd make the swap as, as someone pointed out earlier, the Krank rig is worth more and if you hate that too, you can sell it or trade it at a higher value.

20. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Yes, them bitches sure do. I put some in my JSX and it was like a new amp. Considering that the JSX ultra gain channel was based on the XXX, it would probably be a sweeeeeet upgrayedd. (spelled thusly with two D's for a double dose of this pimpin')