Km7 pup swap

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Crimsonghost, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Crimsonghost

Crimsonghost SS.org Regular

I just don’t think the nazgul is for me. I’m used to playing a LP with 81/85 and I love the full fat sound I get from that. The km7 is super bright and almost nasally in the upper mids.

I was thinking about trying the black winters. At thoughts? What are you guys using?

2. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I wasn't a fan of the Nazgul in the KM7 either so I swapped it for a Seymour Duncan Full Shred and when played distorted it's got a nice thick tone that's tight and never gets muddy plus it has cleans that are warm but kind of Fenderish and an absolute joy to play.
    Overall it's very well balanced in terms of eq and takes to boosts very well and I can't recommend it enough funny thing is I previously had it in a Schecter Blackjack and hated it.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

the black winters would definitely be a bit thicker/darker, but it's a matter of how thick/dark sounding you want the guitar to be. They're not the beefiest pickup around (that would prob go to the bkp c-pig or elysian hellfire ime). Black Winters definitely don't emphasize the upper mids like the nazgul do (bws have a snarly midrange with a little bit of low mid growl).
    Invaders would be probably the thickest/darkest sounding of all the passive 7 string duncan pups, but that's probably an extreme choice.

4. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

agreed, those KM7 Nazguls have too much djenty quack in them
    Subscribed to see where this goes

5. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I too wanna see where this goes.

I want to swap out the lithium’s in my swamp ash/maple Vader 7, and am unsure what to go with.

Figure the wood combo is the same as the km7 so the tone should be similar in response.

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

@KailM where art thou? :p

Seriously though, Black Winters are a solid choice.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Agreed (what did you expect me to say? :haha). I'm not sure BWs are less bright than the Nazgul though-- they just have thicker low mids and lows which can make you think they're not as bright. They also have less spikey mids but more of a broader, grindier midrange. They still cut through a mix like a mofo.

OP, I very much like both the BW and Nazgul, and think the BW is a shift in the right direction based on what you described. It still may not be what you're after though, because it's still pretty bright.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I felt exactly the same. I first had the SLS7 with Blackouts. I liked them better than the EMG81 but then I sold it and bought what I expected to be a better sounding SLS7 with the passive Full Shred. Dull and too even sounding, didn't like it at all. After that sold it and I got the KM7 too

9. Crimsonghost

Crimsonghost SS.org Regular

So I decided to go in a different direction before doing a full swap. I repoted my bridge pickup. I was reading that beeswax can dampen the high end and increase the low end response so I figured why not.

I’m not quite sure the highs are any less shrill but the low and low mids are much warmer and fatter sounding. Haven’t had time to run it though my Marshall (just using bias in my home studio). I’m not sure if this is the solution I was looking for but at least it didn’t cost me much. I’ll post some sound clips later.

10. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I had a KM7 with a Nazgul and hated that pickup. I am not picky at all with pickups and tone, and usually play whatever. But that pickup sounded like it was poorly designed. Even after upgrading all the electronics it was horrid.

I would recommend the BKP Painkillers. They are super versatile and full sounding.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Counterpoint: I would not recommend the painkillers.
    Painkillers are definitely not the way to go in an already brighter sounding guitar. They're horrendously bright in the wrong guitar (brighter than the nazgul or black winters ime). painkillers are the furthest thing from versatile imo. Plus they have this weird greasy/fizzyness to the high end. They definitely scream and are excellent for pummeling metal riffs, but they belong in a guitar that can mitigate the brightness to an extent.

I ran into this same problem with my dc600. I had lithiums in it that were painfully bright and obnoxious, then painkillers (again painfully bright), then black winters (which were still a little bright but nowhere near as bad as the others) and then holy divers (which are warmer/thicker than the others, but still get plenty aggressive).
    I still stand by my original recommendation of the black winters, but I'll throw out some alternatives like the pegasus/bkp holy diver/elysian hellfires.

chopeth likes this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I really like my Guitarmory Atlas (AlNiCo 5) set in my KM-7 MK-II. Fills in the gaps that the Nazgul had (beefs it up)