Kind of NPD and positive customer service experience.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Edika, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A couple of picks first:

IMG_20181008_173059.jpg IMG_20181008_173242.jpg IMG_20181008_173133.jpg
    Hi all, some time in May-June I got a set of Basilisks from Omega pickups. I did notice a couple of things on the pickups like the tabs being a bit stretched out and kind of oversized. I did have a bit of trouble getting them in the routes but managed to bend them in. Then I noticed the pickups screws had different head sizes, probably being different types. The pickups however worked perfectly.

I mentioned these issues to Omega plus that the boxes were just simple cardboard with the Omega sticker on and they could benefit from a more professional presentation.

They apologised and thanked me for the feedback. They gave me updates about them contacting their suppliers about resolving the issues periodically and two weeks ago they contacted me about sending me a new Basilisk set free of charge as a replacement for the other one. They also included replacement screws for the other set and it arrived last week but I hadn't had a chance install them. I'm not sure what to do with the original set after I replace the scews. I could sell it but not a lot of people know Omega. I'm quite happy with the pickups I have in my guitars already. I can try them in other guitars and compare between the two. I'll see.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Very cool! I always enjoy seeing the good side of customer service stories :yesway: definitely refreshing after seeing 100+ page threads like the "Kiesel never again" and Peavey Invective threads :lol:

What are the pickups like? I've never heard of Omega before this

Hollowway, LeviathanKiller and Edika like this.
  3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

They are a small company and I found them out through the Arnold plays guitar youtube channel as I wanted a bridge pickup for one of my guitars.

The bridge pickup is tight and quite focused sounding. It is high output and has a combination of an Alnico 5 magnet in the center and 2 ceramic flanks on each side. It is really clear sounding. The bass response is there but it also has quite a bit of highs. The neck pickup is also more on the high output side. Sounds more like a modern neck pickup and it's not super bassy. Not as velvety, creamy as more vintage neck humbuckers but it doesn't sound cold or clinical. It cuts through well when playing.

I have a crappy playthrough I did on D standard through my Peavey 5150II using a Maxon 808 through a SM57. If you can get through the playing you can get an idea of how they sound. I have to record something better at some point that I have rehearsed before:
    https://m.soundcloud.com/user-806879897/jackson-ke2-omega-basilisk-set

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I talked to the Omega guys a while back and my limited experience was very good.
    Just an FYI to anyone interested, they don't have many 7-string models at the moment (I believe just one right now actually which got named "Hades" and was released about May 23rd this year) but they are expanding soon I was told. Their current 6-string offerings look really good.

5. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Ordered a set of defiants and a basilik set yesterday, am really looking forward to check them out.
    So far, my customer experience with them was really great, too.
    Gonna get my basilisk bridge with a triple ceramic magnets at no extra charge.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    Edika and LeviathanKiller like this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'll be really interested in your opinion of the Defiants vs the Basilisks. Your Basilisk set does have all Ceramic magnets so it should soumd different than the Alnico plus Ceramic wings but the only complain I have from the Basilisks is that the bridge is not as open sounding as the Cerberus for example.