killswitch style push/push button for coil split?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by lewis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok so when my Fishmans come in by Monday, Im wanting to add the split tone feature. Obviously they recommend the DPDT toggle style switch but how I write riffs, I need to go really quick and streamline in and out of parts that are humbucker and parts that are single coil sounds.

To me, hitting a killswitch style button is much faster than trying to grab a switch and flick it up/down etc.

Does anyone know of a push/push killswitch type button switch I could use? (obviously I dont want momentary)

EDIT:
    Will the 12volt push/push latching buttons designed for car interiors work? And will I need 2 or 4 pin?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just about everything comes in a "latching" version, which is what you want.

Check Mouser, I'm sure they'll have something.

lewis likes this.
  3. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

The voltage doesnt matter on switches unless you are switching like 400V/20A and that is not the case with Fishman pickups xD
    However i dont know how the fishmans switching works, but since they recommend a DPDT toggle, you'll need a 3 connector switch.

lewis likes this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I think the Fishmans just have two different outputs that you switch between. I thought they were different humbucker voicing styles rather than hum/single, but maybe these are a newer version I don't know about.

I would avoid push push pots since they don't give you any way to know which option is selected short of playing and comparing the sound. A push pull pot is much better imo.

But I also like toggle switches a lot. Your muscles will memorize which way to flip it and such. No different from a pickup selector switch really.

Alternatively, get a 5 way blade switch and wire them in as 2 of the positions on that thing. Bridge hum - bridge single - bridge+neck hum - neck single - neck hum

lewis likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

they are different voicings... Modern's V2 has a good bit more low end, slightly scooped mids and feels a bit less tight in the response. V1 has way less bass and has very forward mids in comparison.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Looking at the Fishman wiring diagram, an SPDT or SPST switch will also work, all the switch does to change voicing is send the wire to ground.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Honestly, i think a switch is more user-friendly for fast switching. Perhaps you might want to look at a larger switch than, say, a normal mini-switch...but i think it's still faster to just be able to slap at it with your hand rather than having to look at a push/push switch to figure out if it's engaged or not, or switch back and forth because you thought the button was engaged but it wasn't, etc. Like...a blade switch, to switch it between bridge and neck, it's just a quick slap with the "meat" of your hand and you don't even need to know for sure what position it's in: if it's already on bridge, great...no biggie. if it isn't, it's there.

Perhaps a larger toggle switch like a 2-way version of a Les Paul style pickup selector switch? I'm sure they (or similar) are out there.

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Did some quick searching, if you can’t find what you’re looking for on amazon or eBay, you could try this:

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_129_132&products_id=2187

I order a lot of my parts for pedal building from them, very fast and convenient. Just type ‘latching” into be search box, there are a few types on the site.

Since changing voice is just make/break contact with ground, you’d put the voicing wires of both pickups to one pole, then the other pole goes to ground (back of a pot, or jack sleeve).

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the voicings will still be on the stock push/pull volume knob (im not going to use tone), and Im going with a 3 way pickup selector.

Its just for the coil split tones I wanted the button. The one you linked is the kinda thing I was looking at myself since my OP. They look good. Was hoping it would work.