Killswitch question.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, May 27, 2012.

1. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Alrightie, so for my brithday, I may be buying a Gibson Melody Maker les paul. It has a single volume and single pickup.
    I plan on adding some space invader decals and other gamer related stuff (retro gamer here)
    I was going to ask if it is possible to use a killswitch in that volume pot. I want to take an arcade styled button and replace the volume knob with it. Will that work? I also plan to put a blue dimarzio d-activator in there.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm pretty sure it'll work, but you're gonna have some pretty high output since its just a killswitch and a couple of wires providing resistance. :p

If you still want a volume pot, I think Switchcraft makes a Pot/Killswitch hybrid, but I don't think it'll match the retro-style theme you're going for unless you replace the knob.

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Pots don't affect maximum output, they do however have a filtering effect so in actual fact your pickup will come out a little brighter than usual owing to the lack of pot. Well, quite a bit brighter actually.

It'll work, but I'd consider having the volume pot just hidden in the guitar or something for the tonic benefits, I can imagine a D-Activator sounding a little hairy with zero low pass applied.

4. Jet9

Jet9 Petrucci Wannabe

5. The Only Factor

The Only Factor Banned

^ :cool::hbang::yesway::yesway::agreed:

This is what I was going to recommend you try and use. They come in 3 different versions - 250K, 500K and the 25K for actives. You can find them on Ebay for about $30 give or take with shipping.