Kiesel Vader w/ Fender 4 pole superswitch

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by secretpizza, Dec 4, 2017.

1. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Hey all,

I've got a Vader that I recently dropped off for a pickup swap (two humbuckers). It's currently set up with a 5 way switch that offers bridge, split bridge, both pickups, split neck, and neck. I'm trying to get it set up for bridge, split inner coils, both, split outer coils, and neck.

My tech is telling me I need to upgrade the switch to a 4 pole Fender switch to allow these options.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of these switches? And has anyone made this kind of upgrade to their Vader switching? Just trying to see what peoples thoughts are and hopefully to confirm that the Fender switch will fit the Vader without routing.

Thanks!

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I installed one of those last week. It's nice. Nothing is relying on PCB tracks, the contacts and wipers are stamped metal. No need to worry about damaging it by overheating with the soldering iron. The only plastic moving parts are some washers, but they don't bear any load. One thing I did not like was the surface finish on the contacts - maybe because this particular switch was sitting in a store, but they were a bit rough and the switch had some friction. A drop of light machine oil, on the contacts, took care of that. Regular usage would polish them out, but it's an open switch, so why not?

secretpizza likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

For that kind of wiring you'll need a superswitch, which is what the tech is saying, so go ahead, no problem at all. You know his is a reversible mod, right? Do get the old switch back with you.