Kiesel --- Never Again!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MetalHead40, Mar 7, 2017.

1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Gulag resident

Kiesel bashing is welcome everywhere it seems LOL

Hell I didn't start turning away from them till they started discontinuing stuff, then the way they started treating fans who were loyal for decades, after the split... Then my V220's issues, and finally Jeff's anti-Japan bashing REALLY pissed me off. The final straw was the 22 pole piece debacle and how rude that SOB was to people who love those pups (I still love those pups btw).

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I still kinda want a crescent and a solo and a couple of vaders tho.

3. MatiasTolkki

Just buy an Ibanez RG550 reissue coming out after NAMM. You'll be MUCH happier.

4. diagrammatiks

I mean I literally already had the first road flare series they made. Feels bad to have just sold it and then spending more for a new one.

Not enough bevels and multi scales. :(

goddamit ibanez. if you made a multi scale S series in road flare i'll buy 10 right now.

5. MatiasTolkki

the new ones are better. I've got an 89 RG750VP (and 91 RG5000) and while that guitar is absolutely incredible, my new RFR 550 from this new run just smokes it.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I'm legit considering getting a solo in road flare red. I'm sure kiesel would try and charge me an arm and a leg for the finish/make it non-returnable but dammit it'd be worth it to have an rfr 8 string.

7. diagrammatiks

Oh i have no doubt that the new ones are better...especially since my 87 had 30 years of fret wear and gunk. Still very good condition but a new one is worth it i'm sure.

I feel like the color under that watermelon burst is really close.

8. MatiasTolkki

Or do what Ben Eller did. He got an MIJ 7620, stripped it and had it painted in RFR. You could find an MIJ 8 string Ibanez (RG2228?), strip down the paint and repaint RFR. Better than going through kiesel.

9. MatiasTolkki

It's my new number one, that's how good it is :D

10. KnightBrolaire

I do have an RG8 neck sitting around, guess I could make a tele body for it and paint it. hmm...
    nah looks too pinkish. I know they can do fluorescents since I saw a fluorescent orange aries on reverb.

11. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

And you would be the only one, after everyone else finds out what it costs. :lol:

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Honestly the Vader I had IIRC earlier this year was a solid guitar I only returned it because I thought the McLaren yellow would look better in gloss than the flat the one I grabbed had. The only reason I didn't buy the dark red Vader trem they just had in stock is I really can't stand the thought of giving Jeff money... and the fact that you never know if the in-stocks are a return or an actual in stock guitar... and the crap of always listing everything on the in-stock page like it is discounted when the guitars are actually normal price.

Aaaand after posting this I feel better about not buying it :lol:

I still do GAS for a Vader and a Becker Numbers. I've considered the white and yellow Numbers they have in stock but 9lbs is too heavy for a swamp ash superstrat...

As is obvious I get highly conflicted about Kiesel as I do like a couple of their designs but the track record of horrible customer service and general douchiness really puts me off actually sending them my money.

Hollowway, AxeHappy, cwhitey2 and 3 others like this.
  13. MatiasTolkki

So I'll talk you out of going through Kiesel, because I feel it's my duty :D

I ordered my JB200 when they were still carvin and had to go through a dealer over here in Japan. The dealer didn't know jack about the system and I had to get the help of Mike and Chris on the US side to be able to get everything down pat. My JB200 came almost perfect out of the box. A little paint got gooped in the OFR cavity, but an easy enough fix and after that, it has served me well.

Fast forward to 13 months ago. I had ordered my 2nd guitar through them, first time after the name change to Kiesel. I ordered a V220, a model that they don't make many of, so I had some concerns that the people there wouldn't know what they were doing. My fears were realized when the guitar arrived:

1. They didn't tape off the neck properly so you can see white primer sticking out a little past where the KRO is. They either didn't sand it down properly or didn't paint all the way to the edge of the primer (NOT an issue my JB200 had btw).
    2. There was paint missing in the corners of the trem cavity, look close enough and you see primer there. Again, my JB200 had a VERY different (and MINIOR) issue that was easily solved, this time it's basically impossible to solve since KRO is a very unique kinda orange so even if they mix it again, it won't come out the same.

If they allow their painters to be THAT damn lazy to let that slide through QC, I wouldn't trust them to do RFR properly. I know they had one of their endorsers order RFR through them but it was definitely NOT the same as the Ibanez RFR used on the original 87s, 20ths, Genesis collections, or even the new 2018 reissues.

AxeHappy likes this.
  14. MatiasTolkki

Forgot to add one more thing:

The input jacks they supplied are garbage. They pride themselves on their quality, but the jack on my v220 has been garbage since the very beginning. Needs to be replaced.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm still super on the fence with them too. There are a few guitars of theirs that I do want, and the two I own are great instruments, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger I remember how much of a knob Jeff tends to be and I stop thinking about it.

That "aqua burst" on page 53 is actually very nice looking to me. Not even sure if it IS aqua burst, but if very much reminds me of that piss poor attempt at the color matching which WAS aquaburst. lol (the one in the linked thread.)

16. MatiasTolkki

Jeff is more than a knob imo. He's a liar and basically a closet racist imo. He spent the entire first two years+ of his Q&A bashing "Asian" made guitars, treating even the likes of Ibanez like second class makers. Sorry bud, Ibanez revolutionized guitar playing in so many ways, yet you diss them and any solid Japanese guitar maker by lumping them in with "budget" guitars? Oh HELL no. I was exclusively Ibanez until I got my JB200, and while I was unhappy with a lot of Ibanez's offerings, they remedied that with stuff like the Genesis collection and the RG3770DXs (and now the 550 reissues).

Then he starts saying that he loves Japanese stuff and that he drives a Toyota Tundra. Ummm tool, even if the name says Toyota on it, it's NOT made in Japan. It's made in factories in places like Kentucky, so it's technically made in the USA.

So yeah, I've had a REALLY hard time justifying playing my Carvin and Kiesel out in public with the way he bashes Japan like that.

couverdure, AxeHappy and cwhitey2 like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

I already have 3 kiesels (a dc600 and 2 VM8s) so I know that when they're on top of stuff they make excellent guitars. I haven't been cruising the kiesel forum lately but they seem to be delivering good guitars with no fuck ups anymore (or at least they're actually resolving said fuck ups). :shrug: I'm still just thinking about the solo 8 right now since I just got a couple of guitars and can't really justify dropping a couple of grand on another one lol.

18. MatiasTolkki

well I got banned because I went after Jeff HARD for his discontinuation of the 22 pole piece pups. they also deleted ALL threads pertaining to Carvin Audio, even the ones in Other gear. Sounds like they are trying to silence everything that has nothing to do with them, or the name Carvin. Also, Jeff going on his livestream saying he hasn't heard of people complaining about the 22 pole piece pups being wiped out, yet there was a 20+ page thread on the forums (now deleted) with a lot of people talking about it. So yeah, be glad you dont have the money to give to him, I know I won't even again. Next custom guitar i'm ordering is either going to be Ruokangas or ESP.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Lol really? :lol: he sure is a joke

20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I get really upset about this. The way he treats this company is terrible, I found them through Jason Becker, when they were Carvin and pined after one for years till I got one.

I still want a numbers, but have no intention of buying from Kiesel, which sucks cause it's one of my Idols guitars and it helps him out financially. It's the only consolation I have about Kiesel I've never seen or heard of a bad JB guitar at least.

I'd rather have a far eastern sig JB than give money to Jeff.

Hollowway and MatiasTolkki like this.