Kiesel HH7 Added to the Builder

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by gunshow86de, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

technomancer, Tree, mnemonic and 3 others like this.
  2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Will that factory ever get their necks and hipshot bridges level-enough with one another to not have to crank the saddles up to the top of their range?

They're seriously nuts to keep setting themselves up for 25-page threads where a guy gets sales-banned because he waited 8 months for a 3 month-quoted guitar, sent it back due to the disappointing setup, was given the runaround until he's told that the guitar is boxed up and about to be sent back, then told that there was never anything wrong with the guitar in the first place; and that returning it will result in a lifetime ban.

I can't be the only guy who looks at the saddles in their filtered-to-hell promotional shots and just sees a customer getting screwed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    BangandBreach likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

The pics aren't the highest res so I can't tell for sure (on my phone so maybe just not fully loaded) but the saddles look pretty much flat to me. Am I looking at it wrong?

Also, this looks pretty cool, it's the one model I would possibly consider taking the gamble with a kiesel.

Edit - kind of stupid that on the builder, the only bridge available is a $100 'upgrade'. How is that even an upgrade?

4. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

I don't know what you're talking about but it made me laugh all the same.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Such mixed feelings about this guitar.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

At least it's only the second ugliest shape kiesel has made. Nothing is worse than the vanquish.

7. gunshow86de

I'm pretty sure it defaults to the fixed Hipshot bridge if you don't pick the trem, just like in the HH2 and Vader builders.

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Ah that's my bad. I was expecting a hardtail option with a $0.00 price on it. Could have sworn that's how they used to do it.

9. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

Is this the new ML/Dime? :lol:

10. gunshow86de

According to Jeff Kiesel, this had Allan's blessing. In one of the live Facebook videos, Jeff said something to the effect of he convinced Allan by showing him how many metal/extended range players list him (Allan) as an influence.

11. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

Why do they have two strap buttons?

12. marcwormjim

So it doesn't fall over when you have it leaning against something - The boat-paddle Steinbergers had it, too.

13. technomancer

I'm not saying Allan didn't approve this, but he was vehemently opposed to more than six strings on a guitar for his entire career... to the extent that he had some ridiculously long scale baritones built when he wanted to use lower tunings because he felt adding additional thicker strings didn't sound like a guitar anymore. Add to this that the official word from Carvin / Kiesel for YEARS was that Allan wouldn't approve a 7 and it does make you wonder.

It's cool to see a Holdsworth 7 but like I said I have really mixed feelings about it.

14. gunshow86de

To clarify, Jeff said in the video was that this wasn't being built for Allan, but for extended range players that are big Holdsworth fans (and that Allan was excited about that idea). The prototype was already being built before Allan passed away.

I know some people on here don't have a high opinion of Jeff and the company, but I really don't think this is something he would lie about. The Kiesel family was very close with Allan and his daughter. Jeff was visibly choked up during the video talking about it.

15. marcwormjim

This is harsh, but I feel it's pertinent:

Allan likely approved the removal of the hollow body* (previously his stipulation as a "necessity") and JCustom Steinberger hardware (another stipulation) from his signature model, as well as the expansion of his model into the 7-string market...because he was desperate for cash.

This was during the same period he was putting his studio gear on Reverb and posing with each item in the listing photos, and he was open about only resorting to that because he had no money coming in.

There's nothing wrong with these decisions being purely financial, and I don't feel such decisions reflect any more poorly on Kiesel then it does on Allan.

*pedantic types may note that you are still free to purchase the current "revision" of the Holdsworth model with chambering, while electing to not mention the several hundred-dollar upcharge ($150 for selecting the CNC program, not including what they charge for the top and to paint it).

16. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

I love the idea for this model and would seriously love to order one with a very basic, simple spec, but I just don't know if I can do it. You just can't trust Carvin/Kiesel anymore. I've ordered 3 or 4 Carvin's in the past and they've all been great but the Kiesel horror stories are impossible to ignore.

So again for me, mixed feelings.

17. technomancer

Yeah I watched the video, thanks. IIRC it was the same post-NAMM vid where he went on to take some thinly-veiled shots at other manufacturers and make ridiculous statements like other manufacturers were covertly trying to get a hold of Vaders to copy (because you know nobody else is smart enough to build a neck through using publicly available hardware from Hipshot). Seemed like the same marketing tactics that Jeff always uses in his videos :2c:

Like I said, really mixed feelings.

18. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

No thanks, when I spend four figure money I want to be sure the product is going to last.

19. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

Looks ugly

20. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

People saying "it's ugly" like they expected an HH7 to look any different.