Kids these days!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bobro, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

kidsthesedays.jpg

Kids these days! Well, "kids these days" includes my generation of 1980's dark-music teens, which includes me, so I'm having a laugh at myself as well and not mocking anyone. First time I ever got naked with a teenage girl was to the soothing sounds of "Flowers of Romance" by PiL, lol, and I'm thinking that in this community of metal shredders there are a lot of people who can relate to Wolfskull and Lucretia!

takotakumi, bostjan and Edika like this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think it all started with bands like Blue Öyster Cult and quickly found a subculture to push it further. Satan represents the adversary of authority, so his image clicks well with subcultures in general. I love the cartoon, because, as the generation that grew up around this subculture ages, it provides a paradoxical image of the generation of anti-authority transitioning into the age group where they are the ones holding the reigns of authority over the upcoming generations, as the baby boomers move into retirement and socially pass on their responsibilities.

Maybe you should look into doing a weekly strip on the web, if you haven't already.

Bobro likes this.
  3. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Hvala, Boštjane! Si ti Slovenec ali Hrvat? If you are, you know that humor is funnier in the Yugo languages than in English. I'm going to do these comics in American and limit the Slovene to just a few words here and there that should be instantly understandable to anyone, for example I don't think any American would have a problem understanding "darkerska Romantika".

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Američan sem. Moja familija prihaja iz Slovenije, ampak sem se rodil v Detroitu. Mislim, da bi morda mnogi Američani morda zmedli nekaj tujih besed. Od kod si?

I agree that a lot of jokes, especially this type of humour, works best in Yugoslavian languages. Probably 80% of the jokes I know in Slovenian or Yugoslavian are one liners and more awkward than funny once translated into English, but English and American adult humour tends to rely much more on sarcasm and/or wordplay.

5. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Američan sem tudi, pa živim v Mariboru že 20 let! Slovenščino, natančneje Štajersko, sem zelo hitro se naučil; foter moj je samo ukrainsko govoril ko sem mali bil, kr podoben jezik. Dobro da tvoje starši sta te učila slovenščino- sin moj je tudi pravi "native speaker" Ameriška.

Americans shouldn't have any problems with foreign words carefully used- more than 70 percent of Californians either don't have English as their mother tongue, or grew up in bilingual families like mine. Plus, "darkeri" tend to be more intelligent and educated and open-minded than most people.