Ken Ham's Ark Park wants public funds for religious discrimination practices

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Beshear asks for dismissal of Ark case

So now Governor Steve Beshear's administration has filed a motion to have AiG's lawsuit dismissed. The actual filing is pretty long...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65inenlnpuiaz2v/Ark MTD.pdf

...but is extremely thorough and has many citations on why this dismissal should be a slam dunk. It even addresses AiG's false claim that they are being denied the ability to their own freedom of worship:

AiG's website (no link provided, because why provide traffic to idiots?) again avoids mentioning that AiG violated their agreement with the state to not use religion as a basis for discriminatory hiring. AiG broke its word, and expects others to just forget the actual truth of matters.

I believe there is physical evidence of the written agreement, as well as of AiG's employment application with the discriminatory religious test.

That's ultimately going to be an expansive strategy for AiG. I'm hopeful that the state of Kentucky can get court costs and attorney's fees out of this, based upon AiG's egregious misstatement of the facts. If someone decides to lie in order to file suit, hoping to gain millions of dollars by so doing, then the money to defend against such untruthfulness leaves less money for things which benefit the public. It's only fair that the public not have to pay a price for the lies of a few.

2. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Yeah, they seem to have very small feet & a very large gun with which to shoot them.

3. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Well, at least they are not scientologists.

4. asher

asher So Did We

But there are way less of those and they so nicely sideline themselves...

5. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Honestly, I find what Scientologists believe way less crazy than what Christians (of any sect) believe.

Evil aliens is way more believable than magic omnipotent (yet contradictory) invisible sky faerie.

6. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

You might want to watch that doc on hbo about them ;)

7. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I'm well familiar with Scientology and their bull.....

I'm merely saying that between the two mythologies Hubbard's bad Sci-Fi is more believable than what whacked out bronze age douche bags came up with.

Also, I mean, for all the evil .... that Scientology does...compared to the history of Christianity? They're ....ing saints.

8. Explorer

Well... Ultimately Ark Encounter did win the right to tax incentives, while also barring everyone but the right kind of christians from employment there. Attendance has been below what Ken Ham promised, and the nearby town has been suffering. The town, which must provide essential safety services for Ark Encounter, approved a surcharge for entertainment venues to pay for such services, which would have added $.50 to each ticket, including for Ark Encounter. This would pay for fire equipment, police vehicles, etc., raising $718,000 total yearly, of which $700,000 would come from the ark's visitors.

http://www.grantky.com/content/ark-encounter-requests-safety-fee-exemption

Ark Encounter, in order to avoid the service charge for essential services, sold the Ark Park land to its non-profit religious arm, removing its obligation to pay the $700,000 for safety and saddling the town with it.

www.kentucky.com/news/state/article161782438.html

Ken Ham was very clever... except he violated the terms of the agreement entitling the for-profit corporation to $18 million in tax incentives.

https://ffrf.org/images/FFRFArkRecords_7.21.2017.pdf

Now if Ham wants the $18 million agreement back, the religious non-profit must negotiate for it, and given Ham's history of breaking his promises regarding open employment, it's unlikely Kentucky will fall for it.

It will now take twenty-five years of saving $700,000 per year for Ham to cover that loss of $18 million. Apparently some of the godly guidance which led to building the park didn't carry forward to legal advice....

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Ham is a moron and this is just further proof of it. I remember his 3 hour debate with Bill Nye about creationism and most of it was him rambling with Bill Nye making the very important point not only of the improbability of there being a great flood, but the severe lack of evidence to prove that one ever happened. Ham also tried to refute carbon dating as inaccurate which I found hilarious (I would say it's not entirely reliable, but there are other isotopes which have far greater half-lifes so it kind of renders that point moot).

10. Explorer

CrazyDean likes this.