Ken Ham's Ark Park wants public funds for religious discrimination practices

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Nov 4, 2014.

1. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

A generalization is a generalization. Why would it only apply when said about certain groups, but not about others.

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

In this specific case, it wasn't a generalization. It wasn't something about characteristics applied to a group. It was about specific actions being attributed to a specific group when they were actually undertaken by another. Someone mentioned hoping the CoS becomes involved, and I pointed out it's the ST, not the CoS, that becomes involved in things like this.

That's not the same as saying "all Muslims are terrorists" or "all Christians are young-earth creationists." It's more like attributing specific community outreach programs to the Episcopalian Church that are actually run by the Roman Catholic Church.

It's not an issue of "not all so-and-sos!" or generalization being okay in some cases but not in others.

3. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

My bad. Definitely the Satanic Temple as opposed to LaVey's lot!

Both troll (LaVey admits that he chose to call his philosophy "Satanism" to get a reaction) but it's the ST who've been doing good work recently.

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    The good works of the Satanic Temple put to shame many American fundamentalist Christians.

Especially when it comes to demonstrating loving one's neighbor as oneself.

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

That is a sad truth indeed. I remember a couple years ago, in the Magic: The Gathering card community, there was an incident in which this guy was basically murdered for his card collection. The father of one of the murderes wrote an op-ed piece for a newspaper a while after detailing how it affected their family in the aftermath. The so-called "southern hospitality" in the town in which they lived went right out the window, despite the fact that, by all accounts, the dad was a perfectly decent guy (according to other people in that Magic community that knew both the victim and the murderer) and didn't have a clue how his son came to a place in his life where he could murder someone for cardboard.

6. Explorer

That's a really sad incident.

I think it's interesting that Americans can listen with shock to stories about, say, muti murders in Africa, motivated by belief in the supernatural, and can easily label such incidents as primitive and barbaric... but then have a more mild reaction when someone is murdered in the US for just such a belief in the supernatural, just as primitive and barbaric.

The recent beheadings by fundamentalist Muslims are another place where Americans, being a majority of Christians, can point out how primitive and barbaric that religion is... but are too blind to note that killing someone over cardboard because of the majority religious belief in the US is just as primitive and barbaric.

Wow... I just realized that if I take a few hours to drop by my fundamentalist friend's house for a bit on Thanksgiving, as I've been invited to do, that her pastor will likely start on his spiel on the Muslims with very little provocation. I wonder how he'll react to what I've just outlined? *laugh*

7. Xaios

In fairness, (and honestly, I can't tell if you're intimating that the MTG killing was religiously motivated, as you've kind of worded your response... oddly), the MTG killing itself had nothing to do with religion. That was just garden-variety greed. It's simply the reaction of the so-called Christian community around them that was shameful.

8. asher

asher So Did We

So-called Southern Hospitality is rather... tribal.

9. Xaios

That's the impression I get. Granted, I've never been anywhere near the American South (having sequestered myself in the Canadian North), so I can't really speak as an authority on the matter.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Haha, I nearly died laughing when a year or two ago I got the idea to ask Google by voice on my tablet what the answer to the question of "Life, the universe, and everything" was and it promptly answered 42. Unfortunately, when you ask now it instead states, "According to Wikipedia" followed by the answer and relation to Hitchhikers Guide. Guess too many people that haven't read/seen Hitchhiker's Guide were too perplexed so they had to explain it a little lol :lol:

Rev.

11. Explorer

Oh, I skimmed the story and thought the TMG killing was a religion thing. I stand corrected... but still think this is a fruitful line of conversation to shut this person down. I'll do a little research to find something suitable.

12. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

[​IMG]

Just saw this and died laughing.

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^Yeah, but according to that dude, the fact that it's in the bible is undeniable "evidence" that it absolutely must have happened. He believes that every single thing in the bible, even magic nonsense stuff that is wayyyyyyyyyyy less plausible than someone being able to build a very large boat, is proven to be true for no reason other than that it was written down.

14. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Siri is similar. It used to answer 42 from time to time, I haven't been able to get it to given that answer in a long time. Similarly, it used to follow the Monty Python "What... is your name?" ... "What... is your quest?" ... "What... is your favorite color?/What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" series of questions, but doesn't any more.

Ray

15. Explorer

And now that the Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis were proven to be untrustworthy regarding keeping their word on a written contract, they're going after those with whom they made that contract.

Religious group threatens to sue over tax credit denial for Noah

As with the Orson Scott Card situation, I'm amused by the blatant hypocrisy of those who are bigoted, and then object to others who are intolerant of bigotry. You're doing it wrong.

Also, if you're claiming that others have to adhere to the Bible, and then toss out the whole "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" because obeying the law doesn't suit your purposes, you're rejecting what you're claiming is important. Fvckin' Pharisee territory, brothers.

More importantly... When Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis are complaining that no one would buy their unbacked, unguaranteed junk bonds and found no takers, and then are talking about how they need multiple millions of dollars in tax breaks to fund the park... where are the funds coming from for a multi-million-dollar advertising campaign, including the Times Square digital billboard? If you don't know how to budget, and if God isn't even giving you the minor miracle of pointing out that you don't understand intelligent budgeting, at some point you might realize that embracing the tools of the Father of Lies isn't doing you any favors.

I'm coming to the conclusion that those who are leading the Church in the direction of self delusion, ignoring actual observations, and ignoring the actual Bible have been co-opted/corrupted by Satan, either unknowingly or willingly for the money and/or fame, or just for the satisfaction of feeling that they're better than others. I think the Ark Park vanity project falls into that last group.

[​IMG]

When you lie or are otherwise dishonest while publicly and loudly proclaiming the name of Jesus, Satan smiles. Which Master do Ken Ham's actions show him to serve?

16. Explorer

BTW, I like how Fox classified this story as "Politics" instead of "Religion." Why is someone being a bigot in the name of religion a political story? *laugh*

17. Explorer

So they finally filed the lawsuit.

They do have the right to work as a non-profit, but there's that leap of logic into the wild blue yonder that government should help fund a particular religious faith.

It took a while before they filed the lawsuit, and I haven't seen the papers yet. Hopefully this suit won't take long.

Then again, didn't Ham previously go nuts over his project's junk bonds being criticized as a bad investment? That, of course, after he had said that investors shouldn't expect any return at all.

Ken Ham is so impervious to criticism and logic, at this point, that he is capable of investing a huge amount of energy and resources into fighting anything which is counter to his worldview. Why should anyone expect him to behave differently with this lawsuit?

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I sometimes wonder if people like him have some slight brain damage or something.

19. Explorer

So I finally found a copy of the AiG lawsuit against the state of Kentucky.

https://cdn-assets.answersingenesis.org/doc/articles/ark/lawsuit-document.pdf

It's weird... they managed to avoid mentioning the actual issue which got their tax incentives revoked.

Do you think it will be awkward when that oversight on the part of AiG is brought up in court?

I love that Ham et al have no insight into the fact that they want to discriminate against other religious beliefs in a publicly funded project, but are arguing that their particular religious beliefs should be worthy of protections AiG wants to deny to others.

I hadn't realized that AiG had been brought in to handle the hiring, including the religious requirements, because the AiG people in charge of the non-religious park non-profit knew they weren't allowed to discriminate. They decided to outsource the discrimination to others in AiG, because that would make the discrimination defensible.

AiG tried to do an end run around the explicit word given by AiG. AiG is apparently operated and directed by people who are intentionally lying.

To people who lie in order to advance what they claim is a higher morality, here's a message: :fawk:

AiG is one of the worst arguments for claims that morality arising from Christian values. :lol:

I'm sure that GoldDragon would argue with that, if he hadn't been banned for his "transgender = lulz" topic. :noplease:

20. Explorer

Oh. One more thing, which I don't think has been mentioned explicitly.

AiG was going to receive the tax incentives for their tourist attraction.

They had it in the bag, even with a tourist attraction about the Biblical Noah's Ark, a religious theme.

They only lost those tax incentives when they decided to practice discriminatory hiring.

The tax incentives were theirs to lose.

And they did.

Just one more inconvenient thing to have come up in court, I suppose....