Ken Ham's Ark Park wants public funds for religious discrimination practices

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I know that some vocal American evangelicals like playing the victim in their talking points, claiming that denying them the right to discriminate in non-private settings is a horrible miscarriage of justice. (In other words, fuck the actual "treat others as you want to be treated" bullshit from that stupid Jesus guy, especially if that clown stands in the way of our discriminating.)

Ken Ham has been trying to expand his Creationism Museum, building an Ark Park based around Noah's ark. He hasn't had success in raising the funds, finally trying to sell unrated junk bonds which contain *no* guarantee that bondholders will receive back any money whatsoever. In other words, no one believes it's a sound investment.

However, he did get the state to agree to tax incentives and tax breaks.

As part of the tourism agreement signed to get those public funds:

But now, it appears that he won't be getting tax breaks or state funding... because he discriminates against workers based on their religion.

Ark Encounter Job Listing Requiring

Based on the decision to discriminate based on an applicant's religion (religious beliefs being protected under the Constitution, and much admired by Fox News and the Christian Right as long as you're the right faith), the Ark Park will be ineligible for tax breaks and public funding of their viewpoints.

I like in particular that they apparently lied on their application. Did they intentionally lie at that point, or did they decide to prove their word was worthless after giving it? Either way, it's a great demonstration of how deep their honesty goes.

So... should an employer who receives state funds and tax breaks be allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion?

ElRay likes this.
  2. asher

asher So Did We

Grifters gonna grift.

3. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

4. asher

asher So Did We

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

No. They shouldn't. And they should shouldn't get state funding for ANY religious reasons anyway. Nor do I think that they should get tax breaks for any religious reasons. Christian, Islamic, Judaic or otherwise.

And I do believe in God. Just not what they believe.

6. Explorer

I'm really hoping some local version of the Church of Satan sets up nearby, and without discriminatory hiring policies, so that the CoS gets those tax breaks instead....

7. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

^ This. Watching the reaction of Christians to Satanists always brings a smile to my face.

8. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Can we just give him Kim Kardashian and be done with it all?

9. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

The CoS are trolls. Which, as with the Oklahoma statue plus getting their literature into schools etc, is frigging awesome.

The one thing that many of these fundies don't get is that if you open the door to "religion" in government space it doesn't quite do what they think it will. Other brands are available. :lol::lol::lol:

10. Ibzzus

Ibzzus Jangle/shoegaze-core

It's ass hats like these that give religious people a bad name. Being a Muslim, I am no stranger to people hijacking my religion. I have no way to describe how frustrating it can be. Religion should be all about 'live and let live' not discriminate and force faith on others.

11. The Q

The Q The Engineer

How can this answer be yes? I mean, how can someone answer yes and be a reasonable person.

Come on Explorer, you know this. Do you expect a serious "yes" response and expect the discussion to remain reasonable?

12. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

Just don't give him tax breaks, problem solved.

13. Explorer

That's the thing. I know people who think this is a completely reasonable idea, that the state would fund Christianity, and any discriminatory hiring practices associated with it. They recoil at the thought of any other faith being so endorsed, though.

So, whenever my heavily conservative and fundamentalist Christian friends go in a direction where they're in crazy land, I think about the issues at the core, and then ask people outside of that group (including those here on SS.org). I find it educational to see the difference between the world views.

I figure, if even one person reads this stuff and says, this is what US religious and political conservatives are actually arguing for? I'm voting against this!, then one person will have had their eyes opened. That person will feel okay with voting against it, instead of having a "live and let enforced legislated bigotry live!" attitude. That person might even explain it to someone else, or even more than one other person, and have a ripple effect.

Short version: Of course some poeple think it's reasonable. That's how people like Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin have success in politics.

14. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Explorer, do you play guitar? :D

Rev.

15. Explorer

Yes, I actually do! *laugh*

IRL, last night I got together with a friend I haven't seen in a long time, and we spent some hours talking about potential projects. She doesn't write lyrics, but is a great musician and has a great voice, and I had notebooks full of song ideas, lyrics and outlines for us to work from. If we play out though, she wants to only sing out front. I'm okay with that, because having a hot rocker chick out front is all good for publicity and image. We'll see where it goes.

16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Heh, you know I'm just playing around. ;)

Rev.

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I don't see what taxes or others have to do with it. Nobody should be allowed to discriminate, tax or no tax.
    The only leeway I'd gibve this is if you want to recruit a priest or imam or whatever, where, obviously, religion matters.

18. Explorer

Andromalia, I agree with you. Unless one is hiring for a religious position, one should not be allowed to discriminate.

However, in the United States of America, there is an outspoken set of citizens who feel that freedom of religion is too free, and as those citizens vote for politicians who also seek to enforce and protect discrimination, it's sometimes an uphill battle to protect the Constitution against those who hate America and the freedoms the American Constitution guarantees.

It shouldn't be a surprise. The Puritans fled Europe because they hated religious plurality, and wanted a place where they could practice their religious intolerance. This is their legacy, as opposed to the legacy of the Founding Fathers.

19. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Small nitpick: Generally it's been the Satanic Temple, not the Church of Satan (CoS) that's been trolling Christians publicly to show them how silly they look and to push for freedom of religion for all. The ST and CoS are very similar in that they use the biblical Satan as a symbol of a very similar code of ethics, but they do differ in that the ST isn't all about Social Darwinism like the CoS is, and it's much more interested in being involved with the community rather than fostering some sort of sense of elitism.

Neither here nor there regarding the OP, really, just felt like pointing out that when you hear something on the news about statues, pamphlets, and whatnot, it's much more likely to be the Satanic Temple than the Church of Satan.

20. Explorer

I like how the "You can't say that all Christians are the same!" statement can be made of various Satanic denominations as well. *laugh*