Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

Nah, it needs to be hooked up to a real amp to get the tone or downloaded from others. Though, if you could track down all of those guys and ask them to check out their amp for about two mins. :yesway:

You can clone the Axe tone, but not the effects.

2. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

so i guess within half a year there's a full database of every amp+cab+mic availiable.

3. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    but there is still difference, especially in lower mids region

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I cant wait to see how this product unfolds as it becomes a complete product and is widely available..

5. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp Contributor

It is able to model hi-gain amps VERY accurately, I daresay more accurately than the Axe II. I'd also seen this video where a guy is profiling a divided by 13.
    Not sure how well it works with boutique low gain amps.

6. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

Ola just up'd another video showing a bit of the tweaking parameters in action.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. Pedrojoca

Pedrojoca Gear Whore

i know you are supposed to also capture the mic and cab, but couldn't you just hook it up to the preamp? If you can, that's awesome as doesn't require mic positioning, good mics or good cabs, then you'd just use them with impulses.

8. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp Contributor

True.. There are plenty of multi-impulse cabinets out there.. BUT if you have the power to profile and entire rig AND mix and match it, pre-amp profiling is just boring haha..:rolleyes:

9. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

10. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Not trying to start a whole sh*tstorm here but I've heard that there will be a 'profiling'-like feature (I believe it was also referred to as 'automatic modelling') in a future firmware release for the Axe FX II haha :D . Either way, I think both products (kemper and Axe) are very cool, I just personally have more use for the Axe given I don't have a whole room full of amps I can profile.

11. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Honestly, what i love the most about this, is what it says about the future of modelling gear. If Fractal started using this technology in combination with their "model each component to make amp models" approach, they could really refine the models, and make them much more realistic.

Also, for the sake of versatility, couldn't you just get one of those attenuators that give you a line output, and use that to go back into the Kemper, and model the entire head, preamp and power amp, without the cab? That way you could choose any impulses in your DAW!

12. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

according to ola englund once you profile an amp and speaker you can separate the amp and speaker and mix and match with other profiles.

pretty incredible

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Makes sense if you can profile the amp without the speaker, then you profile it with it and tadaaaa the difference is the speaker. ^^
    Note that the axe fx can make impulses now, should try it on my cab at home too see what gives.

14. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

Maybe i should check if they have a demo room at their firm. Its settled in Recklinghausen which means hal hour of driving from here (Ruhrpott). There are some reviews at thomann... 2 generally points were made: it must sound awesome and it must have big software problems

15. AlexWadeWC

AlexWadeWC SS.org Regular

We are using one of these for the guitar tones on our new record and it fucking RULES. I have not played an Axe FX II but I own an Ultra and I will say if you know how to properly mic a cabinet and dial in an amp, then the tones (or profiles) you can make with this thing are unreal.

Aside from profiling your tone which sounds exactly as the amp does miced up, there are additional EQ options so you can tweak it even BETTER than you can with the actual amp. There is a "pick attack" option that allows you to bring out more of the initial pick attack while the tone of the rest of the note goes untouched.

The Kemper we are using is Mark Lewis's, our producer. He has done The Black Dahlia Murder, Devildriver, Bury Your Dead, Unearth, etc. So he knows a thing or two about getting sick guitar tones and the profiles he made for his are INCREDIBLE. His Diezel Herbet and 5150 III profiles with a Mesa Oversized cab are too sick for words.

While the Axe FX sounds amazing, my problem with modelers like the Axe, POD, Eleven Rack, GSP etc. is that all the amp models that are on there are a creation of what one person or a group of people THINK that those amps should sound like. With the Kemper the models ARE what the amp sounds like because it's taking a digital imprint of the amp, cab, and mics.

As someone already stated I don't really know how well it would catch on though because most people don't have a collection of amps they could profile. But for producers who have a shit load of amps, cabs, and mics, it's perfect because they can access their tones with the touch of a button instead of having to pull out all of that gear, re-mic everything, etc.

Oh and the effects on it, while limited, sound really great as well.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Alex you just made Kemper sales rise about 400% on ss.org!!

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Ok, so they sold four ? :lol:

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

:lol:
    I think a lot of people have been leery in the metal world since most of the videos have been lower gain blues amps. With Ola and Alex both saying that this is awesome for high gain metal also, I think these things will sell quickly... well... once they are more readily available ... :)

19. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

If Ola and Alex is it, then it is good enough for mee :yesway:

20. Pedrojoca

Pedrojoca Gear Whore

Just stop using the "most people don't have a ton of amps to profile" excuse and we'll be set. It's been said before that you can share files.