Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

To fully compare them you need to disable the mic/cab simulations and just use it in a regular speaker.. but I think most digital amps fail in the mic/cab simulation. I think it more a matter of lack of processor power, to simulate mic/cab takes a lot more processor power, and while we are having the processor power now since Core i7 to simulate for instance real tubes...wave arts tube saturator is a good example..we also have the power to simulate mic and cabinet..the problem is..that no company focus on doing an algorithmic solution..and it is very strange why...it is a lot of focus to emulate tubes and pre amps... eqs.. compressor and other analog equipment, but not mics/cabinets...

2. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

True, I just think the kemper amp is so 1 dimensional in it's design. But I must like the ability to play with the eq and have it react realilistically. I haven't had much time wight the axe but it did a pretty good job most of the time

3. Pedrojoca

Pedrojoca Gear Whore

Evergrey and evilsaint like this.
  4. Az_Spirit_Crusher

Az_Spirit_Crusher Death Metal and Jazz

I'm still Fractal fan.

5. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Really impressive technology. This could go far beyond modeling.

However, it's going to be a hassle to get new tones unless you sneak it into your local guitar store :D

How many amp clone/copy/emulations can be kept in this thing?

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I think given its price point it will have some success, but I wonder how they are going to cope up with the massive orders a website like thomann can induce. The fractal waiting list might be tiny in comparison.
    That product has no appeal for me, I don't own any amps anymore except for a pocket H&K and the form factor is a big deterrent, too.

The only thing it has over the fractal offerings is the ability to turn more than one knob at once. I guess it can be interesting for the "can't afford axe fx" crowd, provided the included banks are plentiful enough and people share their patches. Since the axe fx can now build home impulses it closed up the biggest gap there was with the kemper in terms of features for people not owning amps already.

7. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

not sure why people have to bring up fractal

people perhaps worried that their top of the range doohicky is no longer the best thing out there?

capoeiraesp likes this.
  8. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

I think competition is good, it makes every company better and the trickle down effect when new stuff comes out will make good quality affordable.

Right now its just getting rolling, in a few months there will some great sites and tools available for it to get you whatever you wan't, not to mention see the samples/patches people come up with.

9. Joelan

Joelan Ukulele Shredder

This and the Axe-FX are pretty different pieces of kit...

The Axe-FX is a preamp and multi-FX unit that happens to contain models of other popular amps, whereas this unit duplicates real amps. This Kemper Profiler definitely looks very cool, but I can't see how this replaces an Axe-FX or how the Axe-FX would replace it.

This would definitely be useful for someone who owns and loves a bunch of amps, and wishes they could use them all live. I can't see an Axe-FX really satisfying someone that wishes that.

I dunno about the rest of you but I don't use the Axe-FX to try and get the exact tone of a real amp, I just use it to get a range of great tones that may or may not be 100% faithful to the real thing.

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^That, long as it sounds good I don't care if it sounds like something real.

In fact the prospect of having something that sounds totally unlike anything real is quite attractive.

Back on topic, that's a very reasonable price. It's not for me, but if this can work it's way into high street guitar stores, that'd be a real achievement and I'd love to try one.

11. ampoverload

ampoverload SS.org Regular

i thought i heard up to 1000 different profiles. im not sure.

and i think they said they are going to try and set up a website or something to share files of different amp tones and stuff. which would be awesome.

12. KAMI

KAMI Mom's Spaghetti

shame it looks like a radio form the 50's.....

13. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

i think captain kirk had one on the bridge of the enterprise

14. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Although it's marketed as the ultimate faithful reproduction of amps,it does go beyond that,since it has effects (you don't model the amp with a tubescreamer for instance,you add it later from the unit,plus you can change cabs digitally even if the profile was taken from a mic'd cab) and the amp controls can give more range that the real amp can.Kind like axe-fx . only with less effects,and working on the captured response of the amp for the particular settings and mic.

There is a forum that uploads profiles and has a thread for profile inquiries,so supposedly you can work with it (considering that you can still tweak it from the unit itself),even if you don't have a profile of the EXACT settings you want,but something similar.

If I'm correct,it's the only "modeler" at that price range.The only alternative for that money is a used axe-fx.So that's good.

EDIT:As for the availability,thomann has stock +1 retoured kemper

15. JMP2203

JMP2203 SS.org Regular

its amazing how close to the real thing is

16. ampoverload

ampoverload SS.org Regular

i think it looks badass, but a rack version would be even better.

17. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Holy failed embed Batman! :lol:

19. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

hmm, It really would be interesting if you could isolate guitar tracks from a CD and get a good emulation of the tone... I could have eric johnson, brian may and aborted all in one amp!!!!

20. Eaten

Eaten SS.org Regular

wow that's impressive... wonder if you can clone a axe fx preset. :D