Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BlindingLight7

BlindingLight7 Needs moar Gear.....

If this amp can actually "listen and accurately reproduce" tones as good as they claim, This may lead to some kind of tone piracy scandal down the road, Say some guy plugs one of these in at a meshuggah show or something...or MESA tones...or whatever you'd like.

2. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

http://kemper-amps.com/api/download/dlid/461/alternate/0/KPA Manual Basics and Profiling in English

Browse through the manual..For sake people!It HAS effects!

I don't know how many models for each type , and they indeed are less than axe-fx,but that's totally different from "it can't do effects".

I hope you're joking on this one...:lol:

3. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

I'd love to be able to get a digital version of my Budda "profiled." However, it's got the cost problem of the Axe-II in that I'd have to sell said Budda to buy the modeler.

4. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

I'm pretty sure your math is flawed. There are a few people on this site who only use their Axe-FX as an effects processor. That's also how I started out using mine. I'm sure there are users or potential users out there who would like a lower cost unit dedicated to only modeling, but that's the minority.

5. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

Step 1: Buy Axe2 and Kemper.

Step 2: Profile amp models from Axe2 on Kemper.

Step 3: Sell Axe2 on evilbay for more than you bought it for.

Profit?

6. Deadnightshade

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Their is a really good thread on the fractal forums of a guy who has about and has a detailed review of both units and what each was capable of. I can't take the kemper seriously, it looks like a toaster!

8. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Two Notes has both hardware and software. But if you're just wanting something that you can load IRs into, I think the GSP1101 (also hardware) will load third-party IRs if you update the software on the unit. That would be cheapest by far.

9. Deadnightshade

[​IMG]

10. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

Alright.I think there is not much competition in this area right, two notes and SPL is and AXE FX is the only ones I know that offer "decent/good" mic/speaker simulation. But I get the sense that Twon notes might be in the cutting edge...when it comes to mic/cabinet simulation.

11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, not much selection for what you're looking for, which baffles me because it would be such a useful product. The Two Notes stuff looks very cool. I haven't tried it, but they have free demo software. You could give that a whirl and if you liked it buy their hardware solution. They have a pedal coming soon that should be much cheaper than the rack unit that's currently available.

12. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

yes even though I must admit I feel quite robbed to pay that much money for convolution . And I strongly believe that convolution is not the the solution, for me convolution is "cheating" , for me an algoritmic simulator would be the only good solution. You are right...it would really change the world if some one could come up with that kind of solution, which makes it useless to use miced up amp. I think I was more optimistic when Line 6 released their first POD, then we all knew that "this" was the future, and that the usual way of recording guitar with a miced up amp would be hopelessly oboslete and stupid... but unfortunately about 10 years later...most studios still use the same primitive method... Yeah it is surprings that not more companies is trying to come up with a solution, it would become a real revolution really... in what way music is recorded... ยจ
    And it would make it possible for every band out there to be able to record out of the box at home..most people are not able to use a loud miced up speaker at home..

But yeah... but more convolution is not what we need..we need algorithmic solutions... it is the only way that it can be simulated in enough detail.

13. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Agreed. I have an AFXII as well, and the cab sims are the weakest link, IMHO. I'm so frustrated with them that I just go through a real cab now, even though I bought the thing for the specific purpose of using it with the cab sims. Not knocking Fractal; the Fractal IRs sound better to me than the Redwirez or Ownhammers, but I really wish there were something better out there. Maybe it's Two Notes. Maybe it doesn't exist yet.

14. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

looks sweet

15. iff

iff SS.org Regular

16. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

True. Same here actually. I bought it mainly to use as effects processor with my Diezel, and also to send the Diezel sound with cab-sims fromt he Axe to the FOH when playing live...unfortunately, this is exactly what does NOT work very well with the Axe...so meanwhile I use it only for recording, not live.

17. demoniaco

demoniaco Seven strings... Yes

I have both options... real cab and frfr.... I wasnt liking the frfr until the latest forum. Its sounding truly as a mic;ed amp but with all the fullness of a real cab. Its amazing really. Did a test recording my cab with my interface and comparing it with the sound coming from the powered speaker with the cab sims.... pretty nice axtually! Apparently you cant go just with the cab sim IR... there are other elements involved that need to be taken in consideration and this happened with the axe now.

I agree with minddusk

18. Rook

Rook Electrifying

As did I, I bought my Ultra for the FX and thought 'hold on a second, these amp models sound awesome, and I don't need to change tubes/carry a heavy amp around/need a cab/need to worry about voltages and crap/etc' and made the switch.

If the Axe didn't have FX, I wouldn't have bought it because I'd still be looking at processors and junk and it wouldn't be the complete solution it is.

The Kemper.... I have trouble believing it can effectively listen to an amp and come out feeling just like it. I'd love to try one, people here will know when I find something I like I'm the first to sell up and jump ship, but I have limited expectations.

19. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

A rack model would be prefect..I would strongly prefer it...

20. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

I can't express how much I doubt the kempler can beat the axe. it seems like a more advanced form of what most cheaper digital preamps do where it just captures waveforms. The whole point of the axefx is accurate digital recreation of all the components which can get you much closer to feel, tone, and shaping like the real amp. But there are a lot of variables, math and processing power needed.