Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. stormrider66

stormrider66 SS.org Regular

New videos

2. 155

155 SS.org Regular

jurys still out , but could the dude get a stand that doesnt shake when he touches it?? very annoying and im not buying one because of that...

3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I wonder how many years it will be until I see this thing do an impression of a Soldano SLO, 5150, or Diezel Herbert, with a humbucker.

Oh well. Too bad the marketing it so narrow minded.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

This thing looks pretty cool, IMO. The coolest thing is how it samples the amp. I'm not rushing out to get one, but I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

5. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I'll be honest - it's a very impressive bit of gear and i don't it's overly complex for someone who can use it to it's full potential (folks with loads of vintage gear, for one?),
    but the modeling did not impress me. It actually sounds vastly different than the original, and doesn't clean up nearly as well.

6. themike

themike Chug Life

Cool for studios, not so much for musicians in my opinion. Try finding a flux capasitor right before a gig!

7. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

This product is pretty awesome, I would like to try one with an amp side by side. I find the aversion to it (and love for axe-fx) to be amusing though.

8. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

Kemper AMP has convinced me 100% that it will beat AXE FX II out of the water when it comes to AMP simulation (even though simulation is not what Kemper amp does). That part is a fundamental part in my DI solution, my original intention was to use the AXE FX II for that which I plan to buy along with Eventide H8000FW.

But as it seem now, the only thing I need AXE FX II for is the mic/cabinet simulation. My question is, if it is only the mic/cabinet functionalities I am interested in, is there any better solutions then AXE FX II.

[​IMG]

http://kemper-amps.com/

Deathbringer769 likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well, the thing that the Axe has over the Kemper is that its lightweight.

That amp looks heavy as shit. :ugh:

EDIT: This was a joke. I don't know any sound differences between the Kemper and the Axe. :lol:

10. MindDusk

MindDusk SS.org Regular

I think the amp looks really amazing...
    Looks like a typical space ship console or something with all these blinking lights ;)
    Look at the videos on the site, and you will get blown a way too, if you ask me this a milestone. Some one called it the "napster" of amps..

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I think I remember this posted about a year ago? The general consensus was no as far as I remember, but it does look awesome!

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, it was debuted at Winter NAMM 2011, if I remember. I also remember the reception to be a little "meh". :D

I will admit. It would be good for people who run studios with lots of amps that need a backup or a quick go-to amp, or for amp collectors who want to play their stuff without damaging them.

13. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

^ I remember there were no demos of any hi-gain profiles made with the amp at that time. I'm excited to hear more, would be sweet if they put it in rack form.

14. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Very cool looking, its like something that'd you'd see in ICU while they're performing surgery.

15. Rook

Rook Electrifying

As far as I'm concerned, the only way of beating the Axe 2 is by being cheaper.

Since I won't be paying for another one, that isn't even really an issue. As with all things like this though, it's not how they sound on youtube but how they feel in person that sets them apart.

16. Rook

Rook Electrifying

As far as I'm concerned, the only way of beating the Axe 2 is by being cheaper.

Since I won't be paying for another one, that isn't even really an issue. As with all things like this though, it's not how they sound on youtube but how they feel in person that sets them apart.

17. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Still uncertain about this. Seeing as it simply sends a signal through your camp and picks up the signal via microphone in front of your amp, it looks like a fairly technical match E.Q.

Match E.Q is done all the time to match guitar tones. Alex Wade posted a Meshuggah match E.Q a few months ago he did.

The difficulty with Match E.Q I feel is that it is capturing a specific sound, which is already saturated with post e.q, compression, mastering etc. I doubt it is EXACTLY what the amp sounds like.

Now with this, how on earth is this system going to control the poweramp sag from simply recording and analysis of the final signal? It sounds like a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo for a very complicated/detailed match E.Q.

Given the amount of research line 6 and fractal have done into how specific parts of an amp affect tonality, I doubt a system like this will replace them, or make it redundant.

That being said, it certainly looks like a fascinating tool. Quite keen to find out more about them. But my 2c is on it being just a very fancy match e.q tool (it's going to be capturing your guitars 'DNA' too, after all!)

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It looks very cool and time will tell. Sadly, it sounds like it is a long way from being a completed product. It does look very promising though.

Oh, it is $1850.

19. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

:scratch:
    Where is the video showing them getting the "tone" from prerecorded guitar tones ala Match EQ? The videos I saw, showed this thing connecting to a real amp and a real mic'd cab and then tweaking the tone to perfection.

Edit: Sorry, I was confused by your post a bit. Read it a second time and realized you were just comparing it to that. Reading ftl.

Skip to the ~1minute mark to hear a little bit of this thing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  20. bluediamond

bluediamond SS.org Regular

Isn't the kemper already sold in the US? I've already read some reviews from other forum, 95-99% that have used it swear that it sounds no different than the amp they model.
    From what I read the kemper took measurement of 70-80 variable (EQ, saggyness, compression etc) of the sound instead of simulating components (tubes, cap, etc) that creates that sound.
    If it works as good as people said then it is the columbus egg of guitar playing world.

My only gripe (as if I could afford one LoL) is that it looks damn ugly.. I won't have one sitting on top of a 412 for my gigs.