Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

There are tons of mesa profiles out there. I've def seen lone star and herbert profiles on the rig exchange

protest likes this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Get a Kemper and profile that KSR Juno when it ships to you :lol:

There are some very high quality Diezel profiles in general. For me, the gain structure is pretty similar across the Herbert, Hagen, and VH4; but the difference in feel between them is apparent in real life.

Through the Kemper it’s not really translated. They all respond similar and sound a lot alike. With my Mesa 2:90 it absolutely retains the low end thump, and through a good PA they sound convincing (depending on profile). With my ISP Stealth into a 412: tonally it’s great, but the low end doesn’t quite translate as convincingly. Poweramp tone/feel vs convenience/weight is another topic I suppose.

protest likes this.
  3. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Well you convinced me. I got one. If anyone is interested in a Herbert, Lone Star, or Tremoverb let me know lol.

steinmetzify likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

:D nvm

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

:lol::lol:

Was gonna flip you a Herbert clip after work but I guess there’s no need lol

Congrats man, hope ya dig it. You need some stuff let me know.

protest and LeviathanKiller like this.
  6. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Haha yeah I don't waste time. And thanks man, I'm guitar technology illiterate so I'm probably gonna bug the shit out of you :lol:

steinmetzify likes this.
  7. steinmetzify

No worries man, everybody here was cool as shit when I had questions, I’ll do the same.

8. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Anyone have experience with the profiles from Josh Middleton from Sylosis ?

9. steinmetzify

Yeah there’s a few guys here that have both packs; I grabbed the 2nd one a couple weeks ago and really dig it.

SloeGin likes this.
  10. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I'm wondering if there is someone from London who has Kemper and would be OK for me to pop in and test? I'm mostly interested in powered + guitar cab, but would also be interested how it sounds with studio monitors. Thanks!

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Just from my personal experience with the sets

1st pack, amazing
    2nd pack, more amazing

Too compressed? Not "lively" enough or "feel right"? Then disable his EQs and it sounds like an amazing profile still yet. These are mix-ready and will sound like such. Disable to the EQs as needed if you want just a normal unprocessed amp sound.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This!
    Studio keep the eq on, live turn it off.

I NEEEEED Pack 2 because i can tell its better than pack 1 just from the clips.

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I have a question for you Kemper owners

So, if you listen to the tones in Josh's video, and you buy the pack, and plug in your own guitar, how similar is the final sound you get?

I've been through this sort of thing before with software like BIAS, Amplitube etc where I see a Youtube guy demo'ing some presets, but when I download them, my tone sounds nothing like it. I'm wondering if the Kemper is different/better in that respect?

Matt Ress likes this.
  14. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I don't think this is the software's fault.

Sound is very subjective and very reactive; having a vibrating, acoustically audible guitar on you while you play makes a big difference to the sound compared to playing it back.
    Also interface IO quality, input gain, post-processing and yes - also the guitar, make a huge difference even if you're playing the exact same thing - and you're likely not. This will likely also happen with the Kemper.

I think it's significantly better than both BIAS and Amplitube, and i've had all three and a bunch more - but i'm not sure it would instantly solve your problem.

15. steinmetzify

Dude it's literally NEVER going to be like that.....the profiles sound good, but you're using them alone with zero studio processing, not in the mix, no bass etc...

Lot of those videos are quadtracked, mix done up, lot of EQ on the final product, bass included...they're not videos designed to show you what they sound like out of the box, they're there to show you what they CAN sound like.

That being said, these profiles are great....recording 2-4 tracks, adding bass into the mix, doing all the normal EQ stuff after you're done recording and they're great.

EDIT: just saw the vid posted above.....if you're talking about the raw tones where he's demoing the pack, then yeah, those are the tones I'm getting. It's pretty close to what he's using tho...I have a Horizon with a Fishman Modern in it...

Flappydoodle and LeviathanKiller like this.
  16. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Exactly? No, because I don't the riffs that he's using and such. With my Fishman Modern equipped guitar, it's really really close. Close enough for me to say, yeah that's a match within reason given the other differences between my playing and his recording. I've tried other things like BIAS and experienced disappointment because it was nothing like how it was demoed. Josh's presets are advertised honestly. imo

Flappydoodle likes this.
  17. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Hey so if I wanted to make a direct profile of my amps to play through a power amp and cab, would I do:

Guitar > Kemper Input > Kemper Direct Out > Amp Input > Speaker Out > Torpedo Live > Line Out > Kemper Return ?

If I wanted to capture the impedance curve of my cabs rather than the Torpedo would I do:

Guitar > Kemper Input > Kemper Direct Out > Amp Input > Speaker Out > Torpedo Live > Thru to Cab, Line Out > Kemper Return ?

18. KnightBrolaire

check pg18
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/5/User-Manuals

19. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Understood. But with the Kemper, it's literally just guitar into the device, right? I would imagine that cuts down the variables (interface, input gain etc) compared to something like BIAS.

Haha, yep I'm talking about the raw tone demos he does.

Great to hear that they sound similar.

Sounds good, thanks.

I remember trying to use Ola Englund's BIAS preset and it sounded TERRIBLE. Absolutely nothing like the Youtube demo he posted - even using the same interface (Apogee) and same pickup (EMG81).

20. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Ok thanks. So it looks like second method would be the preferred way of doing it.