Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

For most doomstuff i use a jvm410 profile from pete turley or sinmix's prs archon profiles. They're not the typical amps for doom but they both stay tight if you play faster passages here and there. More traditional choices would be sunns, orange rockerverb, or a marshall of some sort.
    As far as eq try bumping up the low end a bit and running some reverb/ slight fuzz for a more standard doom tone. Drop the fuzz and add more reverb/ hm2 pedal for more of a black metal tone.

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

A good buddy of mine just released a bunch of bitchin Kemper profiles as a side to his studio business... I haven't been big on modelers lately, selling my Axe and whatnot, but his Kemper shit is unreal. It's the best modeler out there and his profiles are the sickest I've heard

http://perfectfilth.limitedrun.com/categories/kemper-brofiles

and he's got a bunch of clips here

https://soundcloud.com/alansachalaskow/sets/kemper-brofiles

I've known this guy forever and he still won't divulge the special sauce that went into these though :( I wanted to buy whatever real amps he profiled

ArtDecade, Lorcan Ward and lewis like this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Jesus, these sound great Im not going to lie.

Next payday, Im tempted to buy the bundle :)

also, anyone have any experiences with Origin Audio profiles?

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

within the next 6 months, my band are going to have macbook running backing track setup with everything going into separate channels for better mixing.

now I have a Kemper and he has Axe FX II and we dont have any floor controllers etc.
    Want to do automated tone switching via Logic. Never done this before. Is it easy? and how do we set that up?

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone know if its possible to just buy the Kemper 2 way switch,
    And set up performances so that just scrolling up each time you need to change tone eventually after 5 changes, takes you up to the next bank for the next song and so on? So always ignoring the "scroll down" side button and only ever using scroll up?

so example
    song 1 starts at 100Bpm:
    Rhythm tone > clean tone hit "up"
    clean tone > rhythm tone hit "Up"
    Rhythm tone > solo tone hit "up"
    solo tone > rhythm tone hit "up"
    hit up a 5th time at the end of the song now activates performance bank 2 which is ready for song 2, using the same tones but the effects for this are programmed at 143bpm or whatever the next track tempo is etc

?

6. KnightBrolaire

Origin audio has some good stuff. I like his prs archon and 5153 profiles, haven't tried any others

lewis likes this.
  7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Any good Hughes And Kettner profiles out there? I like the tones that Tony MacAlpine gets with his 7s and 8s through his Triamps (studio) and CoreBlades (live).

8. KnightBrolaire

Reampzone has some good switchblade profiles, sinmix has coreblade that are good

ArtDecade likes this.
  9. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

After a 4 year absence, I have rejoined the Kemper fold. During that period, I went through a Single Rec, a Carvin V3, Peavey 5150 I, II, and III and a metric tonne of pedals. My final rig with the 5153 50W was darn near perfect, but the limitations of a pedal board finally got to me, so I sold it all off and got an unpowered toaster. I'm currently using the FCB1010 with an UnO4Kemper chip to control it and the power section of an old GK 800RB to chuck it into my Mesa 4x12. Looking into a portable power amp solution. I'd rather not go with a rack unit. I've been considering putting together something like the Ambrosi or Camplifier or something in a separate, non-rack format box. I have a friend with a metal shop that could make the back plate and I've found what looks like a good amp kit manufacturer at classdaudio.com - has anyone else made a frankenstein amp to power their rig? The other non-rack amps (ISP Stealth/Duncan) all seem geared toward sounding like a guitar power amp. I want something as transparent as possible.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The PowerStage 170 isn't supposed to sound like a guitar amp- it is a clean fr/fr power amp with 3 active EQ controls. In no way is it voiced like a guitar amp at all. You have to get the 'ampness' from your modeler.

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

is your one still going strong? (you did pick one up right?. Or am I remembering it wrong?)

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I did, and it is!

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Line 6 Helix HX
    is it the Remote Killer?

Has midi switching, loops, 4cm etc.

can also turn on effects and do midi switching at the same time.
    Im tempted to buy one instead of a remote, and use it and its effects as my main floor controller to partner with my Kemper.
    Anyone else got one?

14. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I don't recall seeing someone compare the Helix to the Kemper effects. Are they decidedly better?
    As for being a 'Remote killer' - at over 3 times the price, i don't see the comparison.

If you need a backup unit or think the effects are that much better, sure. Otherwise, why?..

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Dude i think you think im talking about the normal full blown Helix.

Im not. Im talking about the Helix HX which is Just the efx in a smaller package.
    It is £520 new so nowhere near 3x the remote price?.

I think personally the effects in the kemper are underwhelming so if i can get a unit that does midi switching, has multiple loops and can do 4 cable method all at the same time in one small floor controller (looks smaller than the remote) then that would be killer.

Note this is the HX

[​IMG]

16. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

You're right, sorry - i had no idea this even existed.

You should note that the Kemper has a bunch of full-duplex functionality that requires the FSW to know its protocol. I doubt the Helix does, so you'll have no indication of whether or not a stomp is active, no preset, amp or performance names, no tuner support, no tap-tempo (i mean, you'll have tap tempo, but no indication on the FSW) and no looper, because Kemper planned the protocol weird.

17. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Origin's Uberschall pack is amazing!

Soundside has awesome Triamp MKIII profiles, I switch out the cabs though. Sounds HUGE with the right cab section.

ah_graylensman and ArtDecade like this.
  18. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

Please God create a Kemper's editor .. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Does anyone else want to join in prayer?

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  19. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Not holding my breath on that. People have literally been asking for years now. Their stubbornness and unwillingness to acknowledge that demand and the usefulness of an editor is really fucking annoying.

20. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

They’ve had a post up on the Kemper Forum looking for German engineers so they’re probably working on something editor related. Of course it’d be nice, but it’s not like it’s hard to edit on the unit. Letter scrolling sucks but that’s really it. If there’s a way to hook up a wireless keyboard I’d be happy.