Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I'd agree at a general level with this, if we're talking about class D solid state amplifiers. They can go into nasty square wave clipping at somewhere as low as 59% output. Also, a tube amp can output, at certain transients, double its rated power. Class D amps don't do that. These general statements don't apply to modern class A/B and class H digital amplifiers though. Companies like Matrix and ISP don't use class D; and their power amps behave differently. The sine wave clipping characteristics can become desirable, similar to tube amps.

Also, because it's been mentioned in this thread; headroom applies to the max dB level your speakers can produce within their wattage rating vs the dB level they're currently being pushed. For example: a V30 can produce 121dB at 128w. If you are sending 32w to it, the speaker will produce 115dB, leaving you 6dB of headroom. You are utilizing 25% of your 128w available. Power amp wattage rating vs cab wattage rating does not indicate headroom. It's clearly an integral part of pairing the two devices, but not the determining factor.

Ultimately, the feel in the room and your ears are still the deciding factor in what sounds best. All the specs and data sheets in the world mean very little when you put my Mesa 2:90 up against my ISP Stealth or my other guitarists' Matrix GT1000FX. The digital amps are fantastic for their sound characteristics and weight advantages, but I'd think anyone would still take the 2:90 tone and feel in the room over the other two.

The mass majority of places we play live have a full PA and sound guy, so I typically use the ISP for stage volume through a 412, and go FOH with the main output, which works perfectly and sounds awesome. But if there is no PA, I'm lugging the 2:90 every time; along with the ISP, as it is so light, it's the perfect backup in those situations.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Jerry from FJA is doing Kemper profiles. Haven't tried em, but I will say the FJA modded Recto was the single most brutal amp I've ever owned. I think JD has it now.

His Recto mods take everything out of that amp and make it perfect...no hiss, clearer bass....it makes it the amp everyone wants it to be. I'm seriously excited and now need a Kemper. Need. It.

Dual Rec profile:

$3 each, or hit Jerry up for package deals.

3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I ordered a Kemper and it will be delivered on Tuesday!
    I've never used one myself so it will be very interesting to try this thing.
    I'll mainly be using it in my studio for my YouTube channel next to my Axe FX, Helix (Native) and various other plugins.
    I don't own any tube amps so I won't be profiling amps soon.

A few questions came up.
    1:My main interface is my Axe FX XL+ so I always record via USB. I'm thinking what would be the best way to record my Kemper.
    At first I thought SPDIF would be perfect since my Axe FX has a SPDIF input but then I realized the bitrates are different so I assume that won't work?
    Right now I'm thinking I'll just go from the kemper analog outs with 2 Jack cables into input 2 of my fractal.
    Any ideas about getting the best possible quality for my setup?
    I also own a UX2 from line 6 but I don't expect the quality of that to equal to the axe fx's...

2:Since I don't have real amps I figure I'd have to buy some paid profiles.
    I'd love to get one or two packs with a bunch of high gain amps.
    Are there any packs you'd recommend for me?
    I'd love to have about 20 amps to my disposal from Mesa, to EVH to Engl etc.
    I don't want to buy a lot of different stuff from different places, just one or 2 packs and be done for now.

Thanks!

FitRocker33 likes this.
  4. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Oops, double post

5. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

^^You don't have an interface?

You need one to record the Kemper alone. You might be able to set it up going through to the AXE FX II but not sure how this would sound.

As for profiles my recommendation is to try as many of the free as possible so that you could see which amps you tend to favour and then look for commercial packs of those amps.

I really like Kosten's free profile. For paid profile I really like Sinmix, Tonehammer, Craig Sorrenti, Double Impact, Guidorist, and Origin Audio, and Jordon Popp.

Guitarjon likes this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks for you reply, I'll definitely check those profiles out.
    About the Axe FX, it's a very proper interface.
    I've used it for years as I never record multiple instruments at once so it has worked perfectly so far.
    The rear inputs of the axe fx are pretty clean as far as I know and the converters are supposed to be good ...

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Sinmix, Kosten, Lasse Lammert all have some of the best free high gain profiles I've found but there are other guys like marco cudan or cililab that have really good profiles as well.
    Sinmix tends to have the best paid high gain profiles I've found next to Kosten or Cililab. Easiest thing to do is go to the rig exchange and download a ton of free mesa, evh and engl profiles. The cabs can drastically change the sound so if you've got IRs you favor I'd recommend loading them into the kemper. If not then kosten's 5150 plat mod cab is pretty good, same with Lasse's recto cabs (both are free).
    Sinmix has excellent profiles of the VHT UL, Triple recto, and Krank R1+, 5150 (he has tons of other ones too but those are my personal favorites)
    Kosten also has really good 5150 profiles, VH4 profiles and Powerball profiles
    Cililab has a really great set of JVM410 profiles

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks?
    I heard that the IR quality of externally loaded IR's isn't too good?
    Any thoughts on this?

9. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

^Not really true. You could download IR packs and then convert them to the Kemper's file type and use them with Kemper amp profiles. Works perfectly fine.

You'll see when you get it, you'll be experimenting for days.

Guitarjon likes this.
  10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    Sounds good!
    So there are different ways to load IR's into a profile if I understand correctly?

11. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

if your looking at cab profiles already in the kemper then there's nothing else to do unless your using a Merged profile and then you could use the merge function. If you downloaded IR's you'll need to convert them to the kemper file type using the Kemper cab program. I suggest you read the manual because there are a ton of function and it really helps clear things up.

Good luck!

Guitarjon likes this.
  12. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

The Kemper has two "modes" of profiles.
    Studio: The original style, which is 90% of the profiles out there. Head+cab are profiled simultaneously, prioritizing a true representation of what they sound like together.
    Merged: A later update, where the head and the cab are profiled separately, resulting in a better representation of how the head and cab sound on their own. So it's more comparable to an Axe-Fx, Helix or any other type of modeller. If you want to use an IR, you'll want to use the amp from a merged profile.

So if you take an IR, or the cab from a merged profile, but combine it with the amp section of a studio profile, you are sort of crossing the wires and might not end up with a great sound. Maybe this is what you've been hearing about?

If you're reading this and think "merged profiles sounds like the better, more versatile option", keep in mind that most users find the studio profiles to be better sounding, they're the "sound" of the Kemper. It's not 100% accurate in dividing the amp and cab like a merged profile, but it seems to capture the overall sound of a rig better, which is often the reason why people choose a Kemper over the other modellers in the first place. Merged profiles are really just there for added flexibility, studio profiles are where the money is in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    SloeGin and Guitarjon like this.
  13. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    That's very helpful and interesting!
    I'm looking at the double impact profile bundles now and they seem to have the merged versions going on.

14. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

No prob :yesway: The benefit of merged profiles, besides being easier to use with your favourite IR's, is that they're also better suited for running into a real cab. So using the dual outputs on stage, you can run the profiled amp+cab/IR to FoH while running just the amp DI to a real cab. A lot of people like that.

Another thing you can do, if you're a studio guy primarily, is to just search for "DI" in the Kemper's rig exchange app, and you'll find tons of amp profiles that have no cabs. Audition them into your favourite IR loader in your DAW, and you have a very powerful setup for finding the right tone for you. When you find something you like you can just load that IR into the Kemper and create a merged profile of the amp DI+IR.

When I say studio profiles sound "better" what I really mean is that there's an interaction between the amp, cab and mic that the studio profiles seem to capture better than you get with IR's. It's hard to explain until you've played a good studio profile yourself. But beyond that, I don't mean to say merged profiles sound bad, because they sound just as good as you'd expect a real amp+IR to sound.

15. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Honestly I would wait to get your unit before you start buying profiles. There are quite a few free high gain profiles and and many of them are amazing especially pro created profiles and rig packs that come with the machine. Plus each of these profiles have so many parameters to tweak you can get lost for years without needing to buy anything. The only pack I bought was the big hairy profiles ADA MP1 pack because there wasn't a ton of good ada tones that come with it. But I'm actually kicking myself now because I find I can manipulate many amps to sound damn near identical with the deep editing that you can do. I'm not saying you should NEVER buy profiles. You may hears something you just have to have. I just think guys should explore the units capabilities before convincing themselves they are missing out when so much can be done with existing tones. New profiles are loaded to rig manager everyday. And with so much free stuff constantly available and your ability to remove and add cabs from other rigs and splice together any sound you want to me its a waste to pay for a profile than 9 times out of 10 will sound different with your equipment and will require tweaking anyways to get a perfect match.

Guitarjon likes this.
  16. mickrich

mickrich SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@AlexWadeWC

Any tips on the Chapel tone?. I adore that ultra twangy tone you guys dial in. Saw is the Law/Elitist ones.
    Sounds like you use the Treble booster Kemper block infront or something.

18. sinquestsound

sinquestsound SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

lewis and Guitarjon like this.
  19. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

sinquestsound likes this.
  20. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I'm also looking into the Double Impact bundles because they contain many amps with many settings.
    I'd love to hear people's opinions on those!