Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by adrock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Its scary actually. I was worried that it was just going to be a recorded tone with the actual character of the amp and its dynamics lost. I couldn't have been more wrong and I couldn't be more happy about it. My brother came over and asked where the tubes were. He laughed at me when I told him that it was 100% digital with a class D mono block for power. He was certain it was going to disappoint. He left with a completely different opinion.

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

another convert! Good work haha

rolling back volume to gain a clean tone ftw!

3. purpledc

LOL, that was what shocked me the most. You see I really was never the guy to touch my volume knob. Never really. Not because I didn't want to try it but just because with my line 6 amp rolling down the volume simply made the guitar sound shrill and thin and it never actually cleaned it up.

So when I got the kemper that was the first thing I did. I was toying around with a sweet child o mine patch and noticed with my pickups the signal was a little too hot. I was going to reach for the gain knob on the amp but then I thought about how slash likes to play with volume for different tones. And I figured what better way to test this thing out.

I was blown away. The sound stayed full and the chime was there and it just cleaned up a little yet I didn't lose anything like on the line6 stuff. I really was in disbelief. I'm just also so happy I no longer have to worry about tubes. They are a PITA with the exception of the sound. Not to mention I can run the head without a load and not have to worry about a meltdown. I was just really worried I was gonna feel like I compromised yet again. But now I feel like I stole the thing.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thats why the kemper is such a sound investment. Its feel and tone are a direct match to "real amps". You cant get closer than this. The product should stand the test of time easily whereas with axe fxs for example we are already on the 3rd iteration??
    same with line 6. Thats why i went kemper this time instead as i was sick of alwys feeling like i would want and need THE NEXT product from these companies.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I thought the same thing, when I saw they still support a synth keyboard from the 90's I knew it was a sound purchase. I have always been a tube amp player and the first day I plugged it into one of my 4x12 cabs and was like, yep my amps will start collecting dust. And over 2 years later, they still mostly sit unplayed. I do like to play them once in a while still, but probably less than 5% of the time.

lewis likes this.
  6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

So after a long while of playing by myself I will be playing again with another guitarist and drummer, only problem is I use monitors currently...

So I've been debating about either getting a FRFR monitor vs a Power Amp/2x12
    You guys think I can score something good under the budget of $500?

7. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I've been considering the Kemper Powerhead after my ENGL Powerball 2 stopped working and the Mesa Triple Rectifer my buddy lent me stopped working too. However I have some concerns that the power of the Kemper could blow my Peavey Windsor 4x12 Cab. The cab is 16 ohms and 200 watts with 4 12 Supreme xl speakers. I plan to use a cab for practices and live shows, will this work with my setup?

8. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Might be able to find a used Yamaha DXR10 or 12 with that budget. On the even cheaper side, my brother uses an Alto TS112A with his Kemper, and it sounds really good and plenty loud over a drummer. I'm tempted to get one myself just to have a cheap stereo rig and get really obnoxious with delay and phasers.

Edit: Unless you already have a quality 212 cab, I think it will be hard to get one, plus a power amp, with that budget. Maybe you can get lucky. If you stretch your budget to $600 or $700, you may be able to get a good used cab and an ISP stealth power amp.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    DudeManBrother and takotakumi like this.
  9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I think you'll find better deals on old Peavey 412 cabs and similar vs a 212. There are typically Art SLA2's for sale pretty cheap for a quality power amp. The ISP Stealth is awesome if you can find one.

10. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Really depends on the amp. I couldn't find any profiles of a Mark V/IIc+ that were exact fits to what I wanted. Then again Mark series amps have so many tonal variations, it'd be hard to profile that entire spectrum! My 5150III 50, on the other had, is easily replaced my profiles. That's why I have it up for sale :p

Exactly how loud are you planning on playing? To blow that 4x12 cab, you're going to be loud enough that nobody will want to jam with you. My 5150III 50 and Mark V 25 both keep up with a drummer (small room) without needing to go past 3. Well beyond the volume you should be using without earplugs!

And WTF are you doing to your amps to fry them? Maybe you are playing that loud :eddie:

11. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

I don't really play that loud, I had my Engl at about 3-4 volume wise, same with the triple rectifier. My Engl stopped working at a show, and my tech found out that someone who owned it before fucked up the circuit board with bad soldering, heat damage and scorchmarks on the board. I'm not sure what happened with the Mesa. I've never had anything close to cranked, but I was concerned that 600 watts of power that the Kemper has might be too much for the cab. Especially when I've heard stories of people blowing their speakers with it

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i just tried a brand new reampzone profile he made today of his dual rec being boosted with the brand new fortin 33 pedal incl in the profile (his arrived today) and holy smokes its amazing for high gain sounds.

13. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Be worried with blowing out my eardrums more than a 4x12 cab. Highest wattage, traditional guitar, cab I know of was the old marshall mode 4 4x12 at 400w, so if you went by raw power numbers, you'd never find a normal cab that would handle the power amp in the Kemper.

If your current cab didn't blow up with 100w heads and you expect to play at that volume or less, I don't think you'll have issues. ANd yeah, if you dime the powered Kemper, I'd expect bad things to happen to the cab.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

16. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

It really damn good. Including the cab section which I tend not to like from most people's profiles. I usually stick with a couple cab sections that I tend to favour over 99% of them.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Completely agree about the cab sound.

18. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

I find it similar to the JPP Uberkab that I use which uses the same mics (421 and 57). This one is a tad bit darker though.

19. purpledc

I would be concerned why two high end amps stopped working like that. You are using a dedicated speaker cable and not a guitar cable right? Either way I cant speak for the Windsor cab specifically but I have maxed the volume on the power rack through a mesa cab with no ill effect. 600 is the max wattage. I do not believe its the RMS rating. IMHO the kemper has the wattage it does to match the volume potential of a tube amp. Not to exceed it and do damage. Honestly I have damaged more speakers using too little power than using too much. All you really have to do is use your ears. If you turn the volume up slowly you should hear your speakers stressing way before you blow out your cab.

The kemper only really has 600 watts because if it was 100 it would start clipping before max volume is reached and solid state clipping of the power section simply doesn't sound good. Watts can be deceiving. Tube amps technically are not really louder than solid state. They simply most times have more headroom. And when they are pushed into distortion its not harsh to the ears. Some solid state amps IMHO are even electronically limited to stop increasing volume before the onset of clipping. This is why many times if you compare a 100 tube head to a 100 watt solid state you will note the solid state amp wont keep up with the tube amp. Its way more complicated than that but I am not as good at explaining things as I am at understanding them. You will have many that will tell you wattage and volume potential are equal whether its tube or solid state. I however completely disagree and it really would depend on what amp is being talked about. IMHO if you use the proper cables and make sure you don't stress your speakers the max wattage should not be a concern.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  20. DeathMentaL

DeathMentaL Unborn MentaL

Free Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Kemper Profile boosted with Fortin 33 DEMO (Ft: John Huldt)

If you're looking for the best free metal kemper profile then look no further than our Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier REV F boosted with a Fortin 33. You can get this profile on the rig exchange "RZ_MBDRREVF_F01" or download it here: https://reampzone.com/downloads/fortin33.rar