Kemper Profiling Amp questions/advice...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by bza420, Sep 14, 2013.

1. bza420

bza420 SS.org Regular

I need some advice from you guys please! Ok so I was wanting to get a Peavey 5150/6505 amp and was concerned about how they would sound at low volumes and somebody suggested I get a Kemper instead.

I did some research on the KPA and it seems to me from what i read i can get that awesome fully cranked Peavey amp sound with the Kemper at much lower volumes than the real amp.

I def love that 5150/6505 tone for metalcore/deathcore type stuff so that would be great. And then i hear alot of people say those amps are mostly "one-trick-pony" type amps just great for metal, not good cleans, etc and other amps would be better for certain genres of music.

And since I like alot of other styles of metal other than deathcore/metalcore like Amon Amarth, Pantera, etc, the KPA will give me the ability to have a vast collection of diff amp models.

So would this be the best way to go for me? And also i read alot about people using power amps with these modellers and diff combinations of monitors/cabs,etc.

My question is since i need something that will sound good at house volume (I live by myself so I can play as loud as i want inside, i just have neighbors in another house about 80 feet away and i work 3rd shift at night so I would be mostly jamming in the early morning or late nights) but i might occassionally want to crank it up a lil (def not stage/gig volume though) will the Kemper be loud enough just by itself going into a monitor or would i need to buy a power amp or get the Kemper model with the 600w amp included?

Also what type of monitor(s) should i be looking at? or would a real 4x12 guitar cab sound better? I know i'm asking alot of questions but im new to the subject and need any help i can get before i spend the money on the KPA and thanks in advance for your help! \m/

2. col

col blah.

I use mine with KRK VXT4 studio monitors, more than loud enough for at home use. But if you want to gig with it I'd get powered stage monitors instead (Alto TS, Yamaha DXR etc).

3. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

I use mine with studio monitors also. I mainly got my KPA for low volume practice/playing and recording. It truly has been the most GAS squashing purchase I've ever made. It will absolutely do the 5150/6505 sound, and all other sounds! Keep in mind that the regular KPA functions as a preamp, so there's no power section. They offer a powered version with a transparent solid state amp (exactly what you want with the KPA) inside. A lot of people go with a separate power amp, but that could just be due to the fact that Kemper didn't released the powered version until pretty recently. I'll let others speak to how they use them live, but it seems most people go with full range frequency response (FRFR) drivers.

4. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I use mine with a Velocity 300 power amp and a 2x12 guitar cab. Sounds great at low volumes. Sounds even better cranked up. I have also used it with PA speakers and it sounds great with those, also, getting the benefit of the cab modelling as well as the pre/power amp modelling and effects.

Which brings me to my next point. Not only are you getting what is basically an unlimited collection of amplifiers, you get an incredible selection of very high quality effects modules as well with amazing routing options for the effects. It's apparently not as sophisticated and flexible as the Axe-FX, but it is more sophisticated and flexible than the G-System. It is an absolute GAS killer. I honestly want for nothing in the amp or effects arena right now.

It is, however, more time consuming than an amp. Amps are fun. Plug in, twist knobs, get sound, play. That's it. With the KPA, there's a lot of downloading patches, auditioning patches, messing with effects, A/B-ing sounds... It's also fun. No doubt. And you can get a really good tone pretty quickly, but there's less of the instant gratification factor that you get with an amp. A lot of that is room oriented though. I'm in two bands. In both bands, I'm the only guy using a modeller. In one, my tone is excellent. Cuts and blends perfectly and I'm totally happy. In the other one, the other guy has a DSL100 and it sounds glorious in the room. The KPA sounds a little weak by comparison. But when we record, the sound of the KPA at the board absolutely slays the DSL100. So much so that I DI his guitar and use a software modeller to beef up his sound a bit.

So, in summary, do it. It's the best thing I've ever done. There are times where the in-room sound of another amp is going to eclipse the sound of whatever setup you use the KPA with, but for recording and live use, it's outstanding.

5. bza420

bza420 SS.org Regular

So from what I read it'll sound just fine with the Kemper and monitors only and I don't need a poweramp since I'm only playing at home and since I'm never going to play gigs or live and I'm never going to play in the same room with any other guitars playing? Also any other recommendations on monitors or if I should go with powered monitors or not?

6. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

In your situation, I'd get something with at least 8" speakers. KRK Rokit 8s are decent value. You can get a pair of them for $500 and they sound really full.

7. col

col blah.

I honestly thought those sounded pretty awful, flubby, farty, undefined low end. The bigger the speaker in the Rokit series the worse the sound got when I ab'd them against Genelec 8020's.

I'd opt for the VXT series from KRK, a lot better quality than the Rokits. I used Rokit5's for a few years, then upgraded for VXT4's. 2c

But a budget would be good to know? Adam A7X or Neumann KH120 would be my choise if budget is of no concern.

8. bza420

bza420 SS.org Regular

Budget is no concern to me (obviously if I'm gonna spend $2000 on a kemper hehe), all I care about is nice sound quality and something that will sound very close to if I were actually playing the real amp in the house.

9. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

You are comparing one amp against a realistic profiler that is thousands of amp combinations in one and is good for practice, recording, and live usage...

...is there even a debate?...

10. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

My experience is that larger speakers can't really be emulated by smaller ones, and the other way around works only slightly better.

For in-house jamming, maybe even with friends, i'd go for monitors. There are a lot, and the differences between them can usually be compensated for by the Kemper.
    If you want a more 'in the room' amp-like sound, i'd get a larger, 12" or even 15" stage monitor ("wedge") - but they don't sound as good at whisper volumes.

11. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I was just about to make a smart-arse comment about the Ferrari I test drove that made the Honda Civic seem a little slow and unresponsive. I was unaware that Genelec made anything even remotely attainable by mere mortals.

That being said, most studio monitors are really unforgiving in untreated rooms. I quite enjoyed the KRKs, but I was listening to them in a nice room. There's probably a whole discussion on the interweb somewhere about which monitors are the most/least forgiving to room interaction and I bet that information would be totally useful to the bedroom/home studio player using monitors.

12. Kharem

Kharem SS.org Regular

Ya I think you've answered your own question a bit, you want more options that a 6505 offers and budget isn't a big deal. Get a kemper. I had a 6505 for about 6 months and didn't mind it, but as you said, they can be ridiculously limited even if you disregard the terrible clean channel and you want to get some different heavier tones its pretty hard with how unresponsive the eq is on them, that's why they get recommended so often as starter heavy amps, they do that generic metalcore sound even if you don't know shit about how to set up an amp, but if you want much more than that and options in the future as your tastes and playing styles change the kemper is just worlds apart. I got my kemper about 3 months ago after getting rid of the 6505 and have loved it ever since, just for the sound quality and options it offers.
    Just pick up some studio monitors, I've been using it with behringer truth b2031a's and its more than loud enough, and if you find you need something more if you move into gigging (or just want to I guess), you can run it a number if different ways even without the 600w model, active frfr monitors, passive frfr monitors with a different power amp, normal guitar cab and power amp, you really don't need the model with the included power amp unless your really sure if the setup your going to be using is going to need it and want to spend the extra cash.