Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2 - Progress and Completion

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by KempGuitars, Jul 8, 2017.

1. KempGuitars

KempGuitars UK Custom Builder Vendor

Build updates coming in the next day or two. In the meantime, I recently bought a Richlite fretboard blank out of curiosity. When it arrived, I thought it looked and felt like a bit of (black dyed) MDF. Having now thicknessed and slotted it, glued it (using epoxy) and added some 4mm MOP dot inlays, I'm getting use to it (the idea of using it). Left to do now is sanding in the radius and polishing prior to hammering in some frets. Looking forward to seeing the final look and trying it out on a finished guitar... And yes, this is a Fender-style neck (reverse headstock). Not my usual thing, just a one-off for a private build of my own... You won't miss this one when it's finished [​IMG]

[​IMG]

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

looks nice

is it hard, tougher to work with?

3. KempGuitars

Thanks M3CHK1LLA.

It's not really much different to working with Ebony or similar, to be honest. The most noticeable difference is slotting the board. I do my fret slots by hand and on this occasion I was using a brand new slotting saw - had just done a 24 fret Macassar Ebony board in about 20 minutes. The Richlite board took about an hour. I put this down to the resins in the Richlite heating up just enough from the friction to start binding with the saw a little. Other than that, machines, glues (went with Epoxy for this) and sands good. I thought I'd give it a go too see what it's like, not as a standard thing, but it's actually not that bad. My final conclusion will come on the finish once I've done the radius and fine sanded/polished up the Richlite.

4. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

It does look nice though

5. KempGuitars

Still got 80 grit sanding scratches in it so it's still got a way to go yet. I bought the black Richlite so looking forward to polishing it up and putting it on my own build - neon pink SS :)

Chiba666 likes this.
  6. KempGuitars

End of another week. What have we been doing in the Kemp workshop? Three generic looking builds coming together but they'll all come to life soon enough with some paint and hardware...

[​IMG]

In the meantime, this box of brutal delights arrived in the post today - BKP Aftermath 8-string set - these are for a forthcoming custom thru-neck DC featuring the Half-fan multiscale fretboard and that stunning Ziricote top seen in the background there [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chiba666 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  7. KempGuitars

Four necks prepared for my current batch of builds, ready for carving. This includes that Richlite and the Bocote (on the thru-neck) fretboards which are both woods/materials I've not used before. They've both come up nice and are going to look great on their respective builds. Next week will see work begin on the bodies. Aside from the thru-neck, I won't be posting too many updates until they're ready for spraying as they are all fairly similar in style. However, that Ziricote top will be pulled off the shelf very soon so look out for that :) Have a great weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chiba666 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  8. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Love your work. Crossing fingers, toes and other appendages I win the competition! I shared it about 40 times before realising it didn’t increase my chance of winning!
    I wish my circumstances hadn’t changed and I was still in a position to go ahead with one do the builds we spoke about earlier in the year. One day...

9. KempGuitars

Thanks Jim. No, unfortunately your name only goes in once. Don't worry, there's one guy sharing multiple times daily - can set your clock to his sharing. Haven't the heart to tell him he's no more chance of winning. Good luck though :)

10. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

At least he is spreading the word

11. KempGuitars

True, but I also have to filter out the notifications and emails.

JimF likes this.
  12. KempGuitars

BTW, this comment was not aimed at you, JimF. Talking about someone else :)

Chiba666 and JimF like this.
  13. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Ha! I realised :)

14. KempGuitars

A couple of custom builds on at the moment, two are standard DC/DC3s but this one is a little bit special - 8-string thru-neck DC Half-fan multiscale with Ziricote top [​IMG] ready to glue on...

[​IMG]

KnightBrolaire and JimF like this.
  15. KempGuitars

Just a couple of pics of the latest Kemp Guitars custom DC that will be on it's way to Canada tomorrow. Yes, it's quite similar in looks and spec to some of my other recent work.. And it only has 6-strings. However, read on because aside from being a leftie, it's got a Half-fan multiscale fretboard with the revised 6-string scale lengths (25.5"-26") - which I think works better and really comes into play here as this guitar is setup with heavier 13-56 strings and is tuned to B standard... A perfect example of the need for a 6-string multiscale [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Those neck woods look gorgeous together and whilst the body shape is familiar, the “forward lean” and matte paint makes it look so modern and comfortable. Love it.

17. KempGuitars

Thanks JimF. Exactly what I'm aiming for :) Got two of those necks out of the one blank so the other is going to be bolted to a white DC3 at the start of the new year - should work nicely too.

18. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

That is a nice neck, as said on FB, I think it looks better than my Jackson COW.
    A very nice build and I even like the colour, red but not over the top red.

KempGuitars likes this.
  19. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

A white guitar with that neck would be absolute sex!

KempGuitars likes this.