Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2 - Progress and Completion

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by KempGuitars, Jul 8, 2017.

1. KempGuitars

KempGuitars UK Custom Builder Vendor

My first build thread is looking a little tatty - broken image links that I cannot repair, etc - so I've decided to start a new thread, which also coincides nicely with the start of some new builds that will show a slightly new direction for Kemp Guitars - there will be 7-strings... and there will be fanned frets... and there will be plenty of solid colour finishes!

I won't give much more away now but all will become apparent as these two stock builds get underway.

So, Kemp DC or Jackson Dinky-style? I'm making both... Quartersawn Sapele bodies and Wenge/American Dark Birch (inverted) necks... These two builds will also be getting some (interesting) solid/PU colours :)

FYI, Birch, as you may or may not know, is known for it's "natural EQ qualities" and this variety has a grain pattern and strength similar to Black Walnut... along with an unusual colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

very nice...

what is that last fret board? i like

3. KempGuitars

Both Wenge fretboards on these two builds... Plenty of Wenge (necks/fboards) and some nice bright finishes for the bodies :)

4. KempGuitars

Something like this appeal to anyone?

dc-no2-mockup.jpg

M3CHK1LLA and KnightBrolaire like this.
  5. M3CHK1LLA

^ that is cool...i dig it

KempGuitars likes this.
  6. KempGuitars

Thanks M3CHK1LLA. I love the natural finishes I've been doing with the KM builds in the first thread (and the KM shapes themselves) but I've decided to move back a step, use some colour and some familiar shapes and influences. The new stuff will be much more like this, although I will throw in some natural finishes and fancy woods from time to time, and is my take on a combination of the old-school 80s/90s (think Jackson, ESP, etc) and modern specs (fanned frets, etc).

More updates and mock-ups coming soon :)

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

You had me at 80s specs/colors <3

KempGuitars likes this.
  8. KempGuitars

Been working on the designs for the latest two stock builds and have final (still poor quality) mock-ups. "DC" in Kiwi Green and "SS" archtop in... colour undecided. Both will be same specs under the matte PU finish - Sapele body, Wenge/Dark Birch 3-piece neck, Wenge fretboard, 25.5"-26.5" multiscale/half-fanned frets, Gotoh hardware and EMG 81 pup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little different to previous (KM) builds so your thoughts/comments appreciated :)

M3CHK1LLA and KnightBrolaire like this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

you should do a fluorescent red or orange (like the old 80s rg guitars). that would be so dope.

10. KempGuitars

Definitely, I've got a number of builds lined up so I'll get some florescent paint in for one or two of them.

11. M3CHK1LLA

what scale is that? noticed there was no parallel fret.

not really familiar with multi-scale, but is that one good for e standard?

12. KempGuitars

Scale on these two builds will be 25.5"-26.5". They're only 6-strings so don't need to go over the top and will be good for standard tuning - although I will probably go for 25-26" next time as a standard thing.

I've worked on the basis that the neutral (parallel) fret is actually at the bridge (scale length). I've seen it done, again as a 6-string thing, and the bonus is that it allows the use of any standard bridge and pickups - no need to use ABM 3210s or angled pickups. Unfortunately, one of the pit-falls about multiscale/fanned frets is the lack of off-the-shelf hardware available.

If I was doing 7 or 8-string builds then I would probably have to reconsider what I've done here... That said, would I? I'll have to look into that. Depends on the difference in scale length, primarily, and having the full fan would make a wider neck easier to play.

13. KempGuitars

Fanned fret DC and SS underway... Looking a bit dull at the moment ;)

[​IMG]

14. KempGuitars

Further progress on the latest DC and SS (formerly referred to as the "Dinky-style") builds. The bodies are now ready for finish sanding and I started the first neck carve today - on which you can now see the final colour of that Dark Birch with the help of some spirits...

[​IMG]

The SS is an archtop with the same deep scoop in the lower cutaway...

[​IMG]

Dark Birch and Wenge neck - the Dark Birch has turned out to be a similar colour to the lighter Wenge grain...

[​IMG]

15. KempGuitars

Nearly forgot; going back to those SS colour mock-ups I recently posted. I had decided to go with the yellow, but whilst messing around with the images I came up with this orange which I'm quite drawn towards. Thoughts - yellow or orange?

[​IMG]

16. KnightBrolaire

orange.

KempGuitars likes this.
  17. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Wow...nice!

KempGuitars likes this.
  18. KempGuitars

Time to tell you all more a little about what's happening at Kemp Guitars - followed by details on a presale...

Kemp Guitars combines a heavy influence of 80s and 90s rock and metal guitar styling (à la Jackson®) with modern specifications - I'm talking multiscale fretboards, choice tonewoods of today, the latest hardware and striking matte finishes... Specifications that the likes of Jackson®, for example, couldn't offer on it's heyday guitars. "Styling" comes in the shape of Super-strat bodies with deep cutaway scoops, and even earlier guises - reminiscent of the "San Dimas" and "Stratbody" days. Kemp Guitars is also offering a selection of the rarer and most common "V" shapes, and, one of my favourites, the Explorer-style body made famous by Brad "Kelly" (Heaven) and Marty Friedman.

Kemp Guitars is about handcrafting custom guitars that combine old-school influences with modern day specifications.

I would like to make it clear that I am not cloning Jackson® guitars. My templates have not been copied directly from those body shapes, instead, they're shaped by hand from very close dimensions. My headstock design is "influenced" by 'that' famous pointy headstock - which itself is similar to others of the time (and now)... And I will never copy Jackson®'s headstock shape to use on any of my guitars... Nor apply their logo to my guitars - so no one ask [​IMG]

All the latest updates (body shapes, etc) are now on the website's quote form... http://www.kempguitars.co.uk/custom-guitar-quote.html

In the meantime... Pre-sale for the current DC (green) and SS Archtop (orange) builds. Specs listed on the image, the DC is priced at £1599 and the SS at £1699. These prices include hard case and UK shipping (overseas shipping can be calculated on request). 33% deposit to reserve. PM or email matt@kempguitars.co.uk, thank you

[​IMG]

19. KempGuitars

^ These should be ready to ship by the end of August.

20. KempGuitars

Sealed and primed - the new DC and SS Archtop builds looking good in white but they're still getting those colours [​IMG]

[​IMG]