Kebab how-to?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Asrial, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

You know, the vertical spit filled with meat, sliced top to bottom and served in a dürüm or pita with salad and yoghurt-based dressing?

I know it is not the healthiest fastfood, but DAMN, it's tasty. And I want to know how to make it at home! Of course without the spit. Where the hell am I supposed to keep a meter-long spit and grill...? :scratch:

I have some idea that it's made from lamb, but is it true, or is it a composite meat?

(FUNFACT: The most popular pizza in Denmark is in fact the kebab pizza, and is almost exclusively found in Denmark only! Served with cold lettuce and yoghurt-dressing on top)

2. meisterjager

meisterjager Now available in HD

It's actually the leg of an elephant.

3. Wingchunwarrior

Wingchunwarrior OVER THE LINE!

1. achieve 1 star rating on health and safety ratings

2.rub 2kg of unknown meat in marinade of middle eastern sweat and dirt

3.Become extremely drunk before comsuming and recommended to only eat between 1.00-4.00 am on a Friday or Saturday night

4.Prepare for the inevitable bloated feeling and eventual vomiting

you really wanted to know:ugh:

4. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

:noplease:Any serious posts?:noplease:
    I actually like kebab/shawarma, tastes friggin awesome, and I want to know how to make it.

5. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

People jizz in the mayonaise trays here in New Zealand Kebab shops :lol:

Edit: Pro-tip - Enter a Kebab shop, order a kebab and ask the dude to make you a kebab...

IN SLOW MOTION

:scream:

6. Aaron

Aaron delirium tremens

The kebobs in Turkey made me very sick

7. timbaline

timbaline My name isn't Tim

You're talking about Shawarma, Kebab is different. Anyways, depending on where you go the meat will be different. Usually it's Lamb, Beef, or Chicken. In my opinion the best meat for it is lamb. It's also usually in pita with salad and chumus (I've never heard of nor eaten a shawarma with a yogurt-dressing).
    If you want to make your own, you can buy a rotisserie oven and roast meat in that, though it doesn't taste as good as the shop shawarma.

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Speaking specifically of the vertical spit, it's also known as yeros meat (and there are a ton of variant spellings in English, as you'll see in this link).

Let me google that for you

I'd recommend the Food Network/Alton Brown recipe from the link. If you're in a hurry, use dried onion instead of juicing it. Don't skimp on the fat content of the meat. If you make it with 50/50 ground lamb and ground beef, the mixture isn't as gamey as straight lamb.

Rather than rotisserie or a loaf pan, you can flatten it out and broil it on a broiling pan (one which allows the fat to drip out), and then slice it into thin strips. Or, of course, you can make it into burgers.

Good luck!

9. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

It depends on the country you're in. Here in Switzerland we also call it Kebab. We call it Dürüm or Döner Kebab depending on the bread/pita you use(same in Germany).

I thought it was composite meat.
    Sometimes you may find it in a grossary stores, maybe you should try gyros meat aswell, it's this similar greek stuff.

Cocktail sauce taste awesome too!

10. Misanthropy

Misanthropy Kebab Enthusiast

ive probably had about 12 kebabs this month alone....i love them, i will probably die from heart disease at the rate im going, but they taste like heaven, especially home made with chilli sauce, yums....the modified camel/dog kebabs on rotating spit your referring to is the Doner kebab.

11. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

All i know is that the local grill is cutting the meat from a vertical spit, and that it's sold as a kebab. Kebab is synonymous for shawarma pretty much wherever i go.

And there's a difference on gyros and shawarma/kebab: the meat and seasoning.
    Gyros can be made with pork and got different seasoning.
    What I seek is the shawarma, alias the variety from the middle east. Lamb and middle-eastern seasoning. But how to cook it?

Also, I'm pretty much convinced it's not ground meat... Either that, or it's hyperly compressed. :lol:

12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Oh, darn! If only someone took the time to post a link to recipes and information in this thread!

Of course, that would entail someone having to click on a link, instead of waiting for all that information to be copied and pasted here....

*laugh*

13. WickedSymphony

WickedSymphony SS.org Regular

I don't know the exact recipe my grandma uses to make it, and I doubt she'll tell me ( :lol: ), but when we make it at home we do ground beef. We pack it onto the seikhs (the giant fucking skewer things), and then cook it over a charcoal grill, balancing it over the edges of the grill so the meat hangs above the charcoal with no gate on it and rotate as necessary. Also, do a few seikhs with tomatoes and peppers and grill those = fucking amazing.

Of course, you don't have to do it ground meat, you can just do small chunks of chicken, lamb, etc. All of which are great.

And before it's asked - yes, my family is from the middle east. :)

14. Leper

Leper YAAARGH

I basically live on shawermas, especially the spicy ones you get here.
    Its normally seasoned with tahina sauce, love that stuff

Damn this thread, I'm hungry now!

15. Nickthebogan

Nickthebogan ....stormer

yeh, love the kebabs, in Birmingham where I work, we have a good choice of them, might have to get kebab meat and chips for lunch, salad, spicy sauce and mayo ...

16. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

This dude knows what's up. After a certain amount of alcohol I become incapable of ordering any food other than Dõner meat 'n' chips. It all sort of slurs into one word: Dõnermeat'n'chipshpleaseboss. No regrets.

If you're thinking of Dõner (the vertical rotating meat of awesome doom), I don't think it's really possible to make anything less than a full elephant-leg-sized stack of it. It's like, hundreds of stacked slices of lamb, with fat on the top to drip down the sides and keep it moist. Somehow the slow cooking and slicing makes the horizontal slices stick together into the delicious vertical strips of 3AM drunk food we know and love.

Man, it's 2PM and I'm stone cold sober, but talking about kebabs makes me strangely hungry...