Karnivool Tuning and Setups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ArtDecade, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I want to keep a guitar around my studio in Karnivool Standard Tuning, because I jam on them a bunch. The tuning is B-F#-B-G-B-E and can be thought of as Drop B on the low strings and standard on the top. I have read in interviews that Drew uses a standard 10-52 set, but that is way too floppy for me on the low strings. D'Addario has a seven-string set NYXL set that goes 10-13-17-26-36-46-59. If I don't use the .26 string, I think it would work pretty well for the Karnivool tuning.

B .59
    F# .46
    B .36
    G .17
    B .13
    E .10

I shouldn't have to worry about the neck twisting because of the heavier strings since they are going to be tuned low, so the tension should be fairly equal. Does that sound like it should work alright?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

i use .10-56 for that same tuning so you'll be fine. i used to use even heavier like .12-62 (or something like that) but it was a bit too beefy on the high end for my taste

ArtDecade likes this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

12s would def be a bit too much for me on the high strings! That's why I figured I would look at seven-string sets because they would cover a wider span for this pretty odd tuning. Thanks!

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

you could always make a custom set at la bella or strings and beyond. That's what I usually do for my 8 strings and 29" baritones.

ArtDecade likes this.