Kalevala and Finnish Pronunciations

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by ArtDecade, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Hi there everyone. Is there a good resource about the Kalevala that will help with Finnish pronunciations? I am reading this for personal enjoyment, but I feel/know I am slaughtering the names and places. :lol: I would certainly appreciate any good websites that can help me along. Also, I am using the Oxford World Classics edition with the Keith Bosley translation.

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Thanks for making this thread; your question is also relevant to me. Unfortunately, I am in no better position than you are pronunciation-wise.

Out of curiosity, were you inspired to read the Kalevala by Amorphis?

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Yup. I went on an Amorphis kick again and I decided that I am going to work my way through it. I remember buying a copy back in 1995, but I have no idea where that one got off to! Ha.

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Just a painful necrobump to say that there are a few resources for learning Finnish, some free.

The Foreign Service Institute's course in Finnish, like their other language courses funded by the US government, is now free and easily found by a search. Even just doing a few lessons will get you accustomed to the fact that the accent is always on the first syllable, and will teach you how the letters are pronounced. The FSI course also has excellent example of how the long consonants are pronounced.

If you have access through your local library, there is a Pimsleur Comprehensive Finnish course. It's just one level, but you'll gain great pronunciation, and it will get you far enough to be able to work your way through a book like Finnish - An Essential Grammar by Fred Karlsson.

After that, it's just a matter of adding more vocabulary.

I'm going to say, from my experience as being in the US with no native speakers nearby, I got the most out of working the Pimsleur course not just as an audio course, but also by transcribing the lessons. That way, I could see the different words move in different ways and could understand how the normal O and Swedish O were actually two different letters, for example.

I wish I could say there is some shortcut to sounding natural when it comes to pronunciation, but practice and work are the only way to get there.