Justin Trudeau is the new Canadian PM

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 20, 2015.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Bye Harper. :D

Universe74 likes this.
  2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I suppose Conservative lite is better than the ....ing Reform party and I am so ....ing happy Harper didn't get in again, but it is hard to be too excited.

3. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Should be interesting. I voted conservative last election but couldn't bring myself to vote for anyone in this election. I am actually excited to see what Trudeau will do, enjoying his speech right now. He is saying the right things lets hope it works out :yesway:

4. mcsalty

mcsalty Keepin' it Kodos

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

While I continue to identify as a conservative, I voted Liberal this time around for 3 reasons:

1 - I liked the Conservative Party when they had a minority government from 2006 to 2011. While it was forced on them, they managed to cooperate with the other parties enough for the government to be functional and to progress. But their tenure as a majority government flushed all the good will I had for them down the drain.

2 - The local Liberal MP who had served 4 terms prior to 2011 (when he was subsequently defeated by the local Conservative MP) has a good track record of serving the region.

3 - The local Conservative MP is a ....ing putz, something which sadly couldn't have really been anticipated prior to him getting voted into office.

EDIT: We also now have easily the most attractive world leader anywhere.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You don't say?
    [​IMG]

7. asher

asher So Did We

8. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I'm disappointed to hear you didnt cast your vote for the glorious Ryan Leef, MP candidate and attempted MMA fighter super star. Hes also really good at staking out vandals I hear.

:lol:

I'm glad to see the liberals win, I've always wafered between parties. They've been winning my vancouver quadra riding since the 1990s so I wasn't expecting much of a change here.

9. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Not my first choice, but it's a choice I'm more than happy to accept.

10. Xaios

I actually don't blame Leef at all for the whole citizen's arrest thing. Those signs can be really damn expensive, and if the party doesn't reimburse you then the costs come out of your pocket. Still, even without that, Leef turned out to be a huge jackass.

11. Cloudy

Mostly certainly, sign vandalism is not okay on any level. Everyone should be given equal respect and I dont blame him for wanting to catch the woman who was doing it :yesway:

He does have some pretty cringey youtube videos though.

12. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Goddamn that man is sexy. I'd be dtf. :lol:

13. Cloudy

Ive seen an unbelievable amount of 'wow trudeau is hot' posts/comments on facebook today.

The world welcomes Canada

:lol:

14. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Even though the Libs were not my first choice, I am sooo relieved and feel like I can breathe a little easier. If the Cons were just run-of-the-mill fiscal conservatives, or the PCs of old, I wouldn't care so much, but it's the sheer disdain for research, science, evidence, and the micro-managing of arm's-length public agencies that really got to me. I work in justice research, and I really wonder if he had another term, if we would still even be around. How do you keep a government functioning that literally refuses to acknowledge reality unless it validates their worldview, to the point where you craft policy that achieves the exact opposite of your policy goals at ten times the cost?

Plus I feel like the constant picking at the Charter(the very thing that protects citizens from an overzealous government or a populist mob) to test for weaknesses and inflame the voting base was really taking us into some dark places that we has a nation simply have never been before.

Sad to see the NDP lose so much support, but still, I couldn't be happier. First step for Trudeau, reverse the trend started by his father and diffuse the power of the PMO. Nothing corrupts quite like it.

15. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Alberta is ....ing weird. We voted for the NDP provincially but stayed with the Cons for federal representation.

I hope that Justin can bring some positive changes. Legalizing weed seems childish to a lot of conservative types, but as of this morning some of the Canadian MJ stocks have jumped as much as 13%. Money makes everyone happy.

I think people were tired of Harper basically doing whatever he wanted.

16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

here in AB I think people just wanted to oust the Conservatives, but the Wild Rose party is a bunch of nutjobs ... anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage backwards psychos. So we went NDP even though they aren't the best fit for the province

I'm with Xaios, I identify conservative but voted liberal. Cons won my riding by a landslide though

17. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Well it's not for nothing. And yeah, while we may be a bit hung up on how good he looks, there's another point that I wish the article added...

Here in the states, I think a part of why Americans are paying more and more attention to the political happenings of our neighbors to the north has a lot to do with how our own politics are shaping up. So many of us are tired of being seen as megalomanics concerned only making money at the expense of others. Canada is seen here as our nice, left-leaning neighbors that are hard to irritate (not always the case, but generalizations are hard to combat here :lol: ). Given the cluster.... of self-centeredness that is at the heart of our political system, people are kinda seeing Canada as a better alternative model on to how stuff should be run. I do agree with that article's implication that Canada is getting bigger and bigger in terms of international happenings.

Semi-related tangent...
    Anybody ever play the game on steam called Democracy 3? I started on that game by running on strictly my ideas while being POTUS and was quickly one of the most hated presidents, and narrowly avoided being impeached. I tried those SAME exact things while I was playing as PM for Canada and I was re-elected 5 times and considered the greatest thing since sliced bread to Canadians. :rofl:

18. Xaios

You're like a young Trudeau.

...waitasec...

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not just conservative types. I don't imagine I'd ever vote conservative, but I find the idea that weed seems to have been a significant motivator for a lot of people to be disappointing- childish, as you put it. I'm not against legalizing, but I don't think it's important enough to be a deciding factor in who I would vote for. Maybe that's more a conversation for the unpopular opinions thread though.

20. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I think legalizing weed could be more important than most people see on the surface. The potential for new tax revenue as well as savings due to no longer spending police force hours on weed offenses or clogging the jails with minor drug offenders cannot be understated.

Of course, I'm not sure how bad Canada's incarceration issue is compared to the US.