Justice System

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by michblanch, Jun 18, 2015.

1. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

One of the things not mentioned on TV or the media, every time a cop breaks the law, is how many DA's refuse to press charges against the police.

There is breakdown in the system.

DA's need police endorsements and support. DA's refuse to prosecute cops for crimes against citizens. There aren't many avenues for victims.

In the case of Rekia Boyd, the DA prosecuted the officer for the wrong crime so the judge threw the whole charge against him out on a technicality.

How can a judge and DA let this trial go all the way to a jury, then let the jury make a decision and then when it's not what's in the best interest of the the cop throw it out on a technicality?

There is a case I have been keeping track of in New Iberia La. where a black man was arrested , had his hands handcuffed behind his back and somehow shot himself in the chest. The Sheriff says its suicide , the parish coroner says its suicide.

The family is in a position of having nothing done unless they can come up with the money for an independent coroner.

In Memphis there was a police officer who pleaded guilty to stopping male drivers and making them give him oral sex in exchange for not taking them to jail for other crimes besides the traffic stop.
    He did it multiple times to numerous men.

Each count is seven years in prison.
    DA decides to charge him with one count.
    DA and Judge then accept a plea deal from him and his lawyer which gives him 2 years probation with the only stipulation being that he has a job.

That sounds like collusion between legal entities.

2. michblanch

3. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 V's are Just Better

It is pretty messed up that the district gets to appoint its own prosecution. :scratch:

4. michblanch

5. michblanch

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

Every time deadly force is used by the police it should go to trial. If the cops can't stand that heat then they need to find another job. Simple.

7. michblanch

8. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

I think that the lack of public accountability for police misconduct is awful. It is a symptom of a broken system that encourages abuse and sweeps it under the rug.

I live around Phoenix with our famous Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who is about as scummy as you can get. He and his department are responsible for a slew of abuses and crimes for which few have ever been held accountable.

It only took a few days for good people to devolve into abject abusers in the Stanford prison experiments, and they started with healthy, well-adjusted college kids at a prestigious school. When a system fails to maintain oversight and address these things head-on, it ceases to be about justice and quickly becomes a game of survival to keep the status quo and expand the budget.

Policing is hard work, and sometimes it's dangerous. I appreciate what these men and women do for our communities every day, but those contributions are consistently overshadowed and undermined by police misconduct. I never feel more safe because there is a cop around, and that's just kind of sad.

9. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I'd agree with "undermined" but not "overshadowed".
    It seems that way because the media doesn't highlight the 99% of the time when cops get it right, only the cases of abuse and corruption get publicized.

Not saying there isn't a problem in the oversight department though, and we probably all agree that it should come from an independent party.

10. michblanch

Part of the issue is not that 99 % of the time cops get it right (I think that number is over inflated and wishful thinking).

There are no good cops. There are bad cops and the ones that cover for them.
    The ones that speak out are pushed out of the LEO profession by higher ups or union goons.

11. michblanch

12. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The only places I've ever seen more good cops than bad is when it's a police department located where crime is pretty much already nonexistent. The police department where I live is great, but there's pretty much no crime so they'd have to try extra hard to screw that up. :lol:

I agree though, the good cops in departments with bad cops become implicitly bad themselves if they're aware of the situation and choose to do nothing about it, or aid in hiding the problems. I definitely understand the need to not rock the boat since at the end of the day it's a job that pays someones bills, but it's a job of high importance and responsibility. That fact supersedes any personal responsibility. If the individual feels like that is unfair or not their problem then maybe they should have chosen a different career path. :shrug: