Justice Scalia, in speech, dismisses concept of governmental religious neutrality

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Scalia dismisses concept of religious neutrality in speech

To me, it is interesting to have Supreme Court Justice who lacks the knowledge and insight to recognize that there are two religions in the US which have chosen opposing symbols, the Christians and the Satanists (regardless of whether the Satanists in question are atheist or not).

As soon as you have government siding with Christianity over Satanism, you've violated the Constitution's prohibition of establishing Christianity's god over Satan.

It's difficult for me to figure out how Scalia could come to his conclusion by using the law as his basis. Does anyone have a good explanation as to how Scalia could have reasonably come to his conclusion which favors Christianity over Satanism, while basing that explanation on actual Constitutional principles?

If not... is Scalia suffering some form of impairment?

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Religion is an impairment

3. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

Tell me... have you ever actually read what the Constitution says regarding religion and state? I'm kind of interested.

4. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Cognitive dissonance mixed with Manifest Destiny and being a religious ....ing asshole.

5. Explorer

I would be most interested in knowing how you would believe the Founding Fathers intended for the First Amendment to be interpreted. Did any of them leave behind any written notes or correspondence dealing with such?

I'm almost positive that they did leave behind records of such, and that the nation has been using the First Amendment as the Founding Fathers intended, but I'm happy to learn something new, even if the evidence disproves my possibly mistaken understanding of their intentions.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Scalia is wrong in his interpretation of the constitution, if taken literally. However, the courts do take liberty with deciding how to interpret the law (and constitution) so it's not a huge shocker. I think this is why presidents foam at the mouth when they think they can appoint a new justice. Remember how they decided that corporations were considered people? The supreme court is the last say in what the law and constitution mean. So they get to do whatever they want. And since they cannot be removed from the court, they have no motivation to do anything other than what pleases them.

As an aside, I remember in a college course where a guest lecturer was discussing oxymorons, and he rattled off a few, including "jumbo shrimp" and then "Justice Scalia."

I think what is most interesting is that older people tend to me more conservative, in that conservatism results from wanting to keep things the way they are. And older people tend to be those on the Supreme Court, since you need a lot of judicial experience to be considered. Therefore, in general, the Supreme Court will tend to skew toward conservatism, generally speaking. In a lot of ways that is good, so we don't get petulant justices making sweeping changes. But at the same time, there's no denying that it favors the same conservatism that shows up in politics.

7. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

That is the only mention of religion in The Constitution proper. Further summary of the implications can be found here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Religious_Test_Clause#cite_note-1

The First Amendment to The Constitution, however, continues by prohibiting the making of any law establishing a state-sponsored religion or prohibiting the free exercise of religion. "Free exercise" of religion does have limits, specifically when a religious practice directly (physically) harms others.

Explorer, can you elaborate on this? My first reading of this seems to indicate that you believe everyone falls into either being Christian or Satanist and that athiests are of the latter group. Could you clarify your meaning?

8. Explorer

Scalia acknowledges that one cannot favor one religion over another... but then sees no problem with having the christian god in government, said god being the enemy of the satanists' god (the theistic ones).

And having the christian god acknowledged in government without affirming the satanist god is showing a preference for just one side of that dualism of faiths.

That was just an easy example. However, the christian god is also a jealous one, while the hindu religion often reveres all gods as containing that essence of the holy, bhagwan. Why would brahma be entitled to less acknowledgement than yahweh in government?

If the answer is because the majority worship yahweh, and therefore the minority which worships brahma doesn't get to have its deities set on the same level as the majority's, then one treads in directions which run counter to the intent of the founding fathers, and which impose and embrace the tyranny of the majority.

To avoid that is why we have not just a democratic republic, instead of direct majority rule, but also why there are Constitutional constraints upon the majority, to protect the minorities of the moment.

Thanks for the chance to clarify!

9. asher

asher So Did We

Scalia is a complete and utter hack, and becoming increasingly unhinged-sounding if you read his more recent dissents.

10. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Scalia is reliably unable to see beyond his personal biases. From what I've read and heard from him over the years (especially on controversial topics), his views rarely withstand critical examination.

11. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

I can't tell if that's Justice Scalia or Caliph Baghdadi.

12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Explorer, by "Satanists" do you mean non-Christians in general (whether atheist or non-Christian religious follower)? I still miss the meaning on that original post.

13. Explorer

Ah, I see! You don't know about the Church of Satan and the Satanic Temple in the United States.

I mean Satanists in a literal way.

I thought my post involving Hinduism showed that I didn't consider them to be Satanists, but I didn't know about that gap in your knowledge.

There have been topics here on SS.org about lawsuits to allow Satanists the same access to public schools and government property as has been granted to Christians. Just entering the word "satan" or "satanic" into the SS.org search engine will find those for you, if you want to bring yourself up to speed.

Happy reading!

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Scalia is a filthy little s*** every time I read something that has absolutely anything to do with him. It's a real f***ing shame we can't impeach this bloated f***ing r*tard