Justice Antonin Scalia has died

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Feb 13, 2016.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

2. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

I find it incredibly weird that Asher said the other day in his thread we need Scalia off of the Supreme Court as soon as possible, and now he is dead...

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So what you're saying is: I owe Asher a beer?

On a more serious note, while someone's passing should never be a happy, celebrated event, I can't help but think, big picture, this is a good thing for our country.

4. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

What is this jiggery-pokery?! Pure applesauce!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm a @$$hole.

5. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

No I am just saying don't piss of Asher!

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I never said anything good about him while he was alive and I won't start now that he's dead.

7. JPhoenix19

Literally the first thing I thought of when I read the headline...

Chilling. Did he find the death note or something?

8. asher

asher So Did We

I totally forgot I posted that until I saw Steve quote it in the other thread, because I buggered off SSO yesterday because I got way more worked up than I meant.

... :ugh: I do not want such power! :lol:

I'm with you. This is absolutely a good thing for our politics, but I'm having a really hard time celebrating.

9. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Well damn asher. We got our wish haha.

10. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

I can understand not agreeing with the man's politics but some people are online celebrating the fact he is dead period and thanking God that he is rotting in hell....

Yeah real Christian of you to be celebrating the death of a man who you disagreed with....

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

^Even though he had the power to use his politics to affect the people of our country, which he has done.

But yeah, like Max said; not celebrating. Although I'm not mourning either, given how his politics have impacted the lives of minorities, LGBTs, etc...

12. ferret

ferret Not worthy

McConnell already pushing that a new justice shouldn't be picked till post-election. :/

I'm not all that optimistic that Obama will manage to get a pick in.

13. asher

asher So Did We

Chances of the lunatics in the Senate approving a nominee are... exactly 0%.

14. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the longest a justice has ever taken to get approved and stuff was Brandeis at 125 days. Obama has 341. He could get one through and the public perception of the blocking party wouldn't do well for very long, imo. Eventually it would be very bad for that party's presidential candidate.

Although, this is a particularly sh1tty Congress so I wouldn't be surprised if they relished setting a new record.

15. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

Someone out of the cabinet might be a good choice. They've already been thru the Senate process. Someone not TOO partisan? Ashton Carter maybe?

BTW Rest in Peace ya old douche bag...

16. JPhoenix19

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be as big a political .... storm as I'm thinking it will be- with the timing and all.

EDIT: who am I kidding, it already is... Republicans are crying out "wait until the next president!" Translation: give us a chance to put a conservative in there!

Man fVck this. I joked about it, sure, but that was a human fVcking being that died- he left people behind who loved him.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Hot damn! I know it's not considered PC to be happy about someone dying, but I am very happy. This is a man who said it was constitutional to execute innocent people, because there was no precedent stating it was not constitutional. Many, many people have been harmed by his exceptionally one-sided and twisted interpretation of law and the constitution. I consider myself a centrist, and even I think this guy was off his rocker. Finally, Justice Scalia is an oxymoron we no longer have to live with.

Edit: And I will add- I see nothing wrong with being happy that he has died. He lived to 79, and died a natural death. I'm sure his family mourns him, and I feel bad for them, but I am in no way unhappy about his time having come. And to say otherwise would be a lie.

18. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Yeah, I won't be going around gloating or saying vicious things on facebook/twitter etc, but I'd be lying if I said this didn't perk up my mood a little. Not because his death itself makes me happy or any weird crap like that, just because he won't be an influence anymore. I dunno, maybe that's kind of ....ty, but oh well.

19. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I, for one, am glad that a Justice who openly said that atheists do not belong in this country is no longer acting on the Supreme Court.

His ideals and his position of power to push those ideals were nothing short of scary to anyone who was not a conservative Christian adhering to his personal belief system.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

"Unwavering defender of the written Constitution" excluding the 1st Amendment.